Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: A Tip from Emilio: Wet your Wetsuit days before your first race [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Emilio wrote:
My tip works. I never post anything expecting to never get scrutinized, and I enjoy reading your posts. So with that said, the spirit of my original post is to help others. I wish I had as much time as you do to hammer on these little details, but I don't and I don't think people reading this really care either as much as either of us.

Thanks for your contributions.

Thanks. I am, as you observe, detail oriented (that's the nice way of putting it, anyway :). Sporadic engagement on Slowtwitch is something I enjoy and choose to spend some fraction of my free time on, which I presume describes most of us on here.
Quote Reply
Re: A Tip from Emilio: Wet your Wetsuit days before your first race [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is good for anyone in the business of this amazing sport to be challenged by intelligent people like you. It keeps the snake oil salesmen away, and it has on this forum. People who sell gimmicks do not sell them for long. I have seen many come and go in my 34 years of racing and 28 years in this industry.

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply
Re: A Tip from Emilio: Wet your Wetsuit days before your first race [Milessio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Milessio wrote:
Water can act as a lubricant, so I dunk my wetsuit just before putting it on. I think the water helps the knit lining to move/stretch, and also the suit slide on easier, by acting as a lubricant.

Not sure why nobody else does it, particularly at races that don't allow an in-water warm-up?

Some of us do use a 5 gallon bucket filled partially with water to specifically soak the wetsuit prior to use. Easier to do with separate top and bottom pieces. Better yet, after the race one can throw their race kit into the water (add small amount of gentle cleaner) for cleaning purposes.
Quote Reply
Re: A Tip from Emilio: Wet your Wetsuit days before your first race [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a bit like paper.

If you have a paper bag, you can add a bunch of water, and the water stays in the bag, with the bag getting wet. The water content of the 'dry' bag could be say 10% moisture. When you fill the bag with water the paper becomes 100% saturated. The paper bag stops water passing through, but can also absorb water. If you tear a dry paper bag, it tears a certain way. If you have a soggy paper bag and tear it, it tears differently. That's because the moisture in the paper, changes the properties of the paper.

The neoprene stops water passing through but it also absorbs water, similar to the paper bag. Also like the paper bag, the water logged neoprene behaves differently than dry neoprene. Saturated neoprene becomes stretchier and is easier to get on, as well as being more flexible when you first start swimming.

After multiple uses (say every week) the interior of the neoprene material stays fairly damp and remains stretchy. After drying out in your closet all winter, for your first swim in the spring, it's dry and stiff (relatively speaking). Soak your wetsuit before your first swim of the season and it will be stretchier and easier to get on.

this is why some people claim wetsuits shrink over winter. It's not all Xmas weight. The wetsuit won't actually shrink but it will dry out and behave similarly (ie hard to get on) to if it had actually shrunk.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: A Tip from Emilio: Wet your Wetsuit days before your first race [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:
It's a bit like paper.

If you have a paper bag, you can add a bunch of water, and the water stays in the bag, with the bag getting wet. The water content of the 'dry' bag could be say 10% moisture. When you fill the bag with water the paper becomes 100% saturated. The paper bag stops water passing through, but can also absorb water. If you tear a dry paper bag, it tears a certain way. If you have a soggy paper bag and tear it, it tears differently. That's because the moisture in the paper, changes the properties of the paper.

The neoprene stops water passing through but it also absorbs water, similar to the paper bag. Also like the paper bag, the water logged neoprene behaves differently than dry neoprene. Saturated neoprene becomes stretchier and is easier to get on, as well as being more flexible when you first start swimming.

After multiple uses (say every week) the interior of the neoprene material stays fairly damp and remains stretchy. After drying out in your closet all winter, for your first swim in the spring, it's dry and stiff (relatively speaking). Soak your wetsuit before your first swim of the season and it will be stretchier and easier to get on.

this is why some people claim wetsuits shrink over winter. It's not all Xmas weight. The wetsuit won't actually shrink but it will dry out and behave similarly (ie hard to get on) to if it had actually shrunk.

At the risk of reopening the can of worms just closed with Emilio, you sure rubber absorbs water?

Or when you say "neoprene," maybe you actually mean the liner material bonded to the neoprene?

Whichever one you mean, you think it stays damp for weeks?

I suppose I could be convinced, but the assertion seems dubious to me at this point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
tridork wrote:
It's a bit like paper.

At the risk of reopening the can of worms just closed with Emilio, you sure rubber absorbs water?

Or when you say "neoprene," maybe you actually mean the liner material bonded to the neoprene?

Whichever one you mean, you think it stays damp for weeks?

I suppose I could be convinced, but the assertion seems dubious to me at this point.

I'm a bit of a pedant too. When I say neoprene, in this context, I mean the blown rubber stuff that forms most of the wetsuit material. I am leaving the jersey part of the material out of the discussion for now.

I believe the blown rubber neoprene behaves similar to a "sponge" on your kitchen counter, at least Partially. Those sponges are open cell foams and absorb water by filling the bubbles with water. That's part of it. If you let one of those sponges dry out for a week, it will get hard, inflexible and difficult to use. If however, you wet the dry sponge, then wring out as much water as you can, all the bubbles will be empty of water but the material of the sponge itself will be pretty damp. It remains flexible and pliable.

I believe the blown rubber part of a wetsuit behaves similar to a damp sponge by your sink. The blown rubber in a wetsuit is closed cell foam and the bubbles don't fill up with water like a kitchen sponge does, but the rubber still absorbs water, just like your kitchen sponge

Try wrapping a dry sink sponge around your finger. Doesn't work. Try putting on a 6 month dried out wetsuit on in the spring. Now take a dry wetsuit out of storage, put it in water for a while (several days?) then hang to dry (so it's fully dry to the touch) now put on that wetsuit. Hey presto Emilio is right :-)

Without in depth scientific study, neither of us can be 100% sure we are right, but using the understanding of similar products we can become pretty confident of how they perform. And of course why and how it works is actually secondary. Sure it's fun to debate, but at the end of the day, Emilio is right, it works so I do it, and getting into a wetsuit the first time in the spring is a little bit easier :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: A Tip from Emilio: Wet your Wetsuit days before your first race [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:
I'm a bit of a pedant too. When I say neoprene, in this context, I mean the blown rubber stuff that forms most of the wetsuit material. I am leaving the jersey part of the material out of the discussion for now.

I believe the blown rubber neoprene behaves similar to a "sponge" on your kitchen counter, at least Partially. Those sponges are open cell foams and absorb water by filling the bubbles with water. That's part of it. If you let one of those sponges dry out for a week, it will get hard, inflexible and difficult to use. If however, you wet the dry sponge, then wring out as much water as you can, all the bubbles will be empty of water but the material of the sponge itself will be pretty damp. It remains flexible and pliable.

I believe the blown rubber part of a wetsuit behaves similar to a damp sponge by your sink. The blown rubber in a wetsuit is closed cell foam and the bubbles don't fill up with water like a kitchen sponge does, but the rubber still absorbs water, just like your kitchen sponge

Try wrapping a dry sink sponge around your finger. Doesn't work. Try putting on a 6 month dried out wetsuit on in the spring. Now take a dry wetsuit out of storage, put it in water for a while (several days?) then hang to dry (so it's fully dry to the touch) now put on that wetsuit. Hey presto Emilio is right :-)

Without in depth scientific study, neither of us can be 100% sure we are right, but using the understanding of similar products we can become pretty confident of how they perform. And of course why and how it works is actually secondary. Sure it's fun to debate, but at the end of the day, Emilio is right, it works so I do it, and getting into a wetsuit the first time in the spring is a little bit easier :-)

The pedant in me is totally up for trying to unpack that further. Yep, notwithstanding others' occasionally incredulous reactions, I actually enjoy trying to figure out how stuff works and why, and I find it especially interesting when people who seem like they should understand something better than I do say things that don't make sense to me.

Maybe rubber in general, or blown closed cell rubber (neoprene) in particular, has some degree of surface porosity, and water being superficially absorbed into it increases its elasticity for some reason? I can't quite get my head around how/why that would be true, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding something about the qualities of rubber in general or blown rubber specifically. If you stretched a rubber band underwater, would it stretch more than a dry rubber band before breaking? Doesn't seem like it to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

I'm not sure kitchen sponges are a good analogy for neoprene, because they are 1) open-celled and, more importantly, 2) often made of materials that are themselves absorbent, i.e. they don't just absorb water into their open-celled holes, but into the material (usually cellulose fiber, I think) itself. Same for paper, doesn't seem like a great analogy for rubber. If I filled my DeSoto neoprene swim cap with water and hung it up by the chin strap, would some of the water it was holding eventually seep all the way through the neoprene and drip onto the floor? Doesn't seem like it to me, but again, maybe I'm missing something?

If I'm going astray somewhere, and the pedant in you is still willing to humor the pedant in me, by all means point it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
Emilio wrote:
With all the respect that is due to you, your assumption of what I think is wrong. I am keeping things simple in the explanation so as to not confuse people who really just want what the spirit of my suggestion is for. I am intimately involved in the production of GreenGoma Rubber and have been making wetsuits for 20 years. The bun that is the rubber is closed cell. Water does not permeate it, but you are correct that degradation is a function of time. It accelerated by exposure to heat, UV light, chlorine, salt, sweat, folding of the wetsuit, improper care, as well as bacterial formation from prolonged moisture too.

My analogy has more to do with the material and the laminate used to hold that material against the rubber. We use laminates that are non petroleum-based, respond to water, and have no VOC (volatile organic compounds) which which why T1 Wetsuits are great for people who have many different types of contact dermatitis.

Interesting, I'm glad to hear that despite what you wrote, you don't actually think neoprene is like a sponge, which has never made much sense to me. I'm surprised that you think the liner fabrics and the liner glues (which are apparently somewhat water soluble for your suits, assuming I understand your term "respond to water" correctly) stay moist for many days, even weeks. If that's really true, it would seem to risk bacterial growth, which you note is a risk in the presence of prolonged moisture. Anyway, even if the lining materials don't stay moist for very long, wetting a suit before pulling it on could reasonably help lubricate the skin-liner and liner-glue-neoprene interfaces to some degree, reducing the risk of tearing. So that prescription seems to make sense, albeit anytime one puts on a suit, not particularly at the beginning of a season.
There is something to it -- consider the "wetsuit dipping" required at IM New Zealand to kill any potential invasive species before you enter their lake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The pedant in me is totally up for trying to unpack that further. Yep, notwithstanding others' occasionally incredulous reactions, I actually enjoy trying to figure out how stuff works and why, and I find it especially interesting when people who seem like they should understand something better than I do say things that don't make sense to me.

Maybe rubber in general, or blown closed cell rubber (neoprene) in particular, has some degree of surface porosity, and water being superficially absorbed into it increases its elasticity for some reason? I can't quite get my head around how/why that would be true, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding something about the qualities of rubber in general or blown rubber specifically. If you stretched a rubber band underwater, would it stretch more than a dry rubber band before breaking? Doesn't seem like it to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

I'm not sure kitchen sponges are a good analogy for neoprene, because they are 1) open-celled and, more importantly, 2) often made of materials that are themselves absorbent, i.e. they don't just absorb water into their open-celled holes, but into the material (usually cellulose fiber, I think) itself. Same for paper, doesn't seem like a great analogy for rubber. If I filled my DeSoto neoprene swim cap with water and hung it up by the chin strap, would some of the water it was holding eventually seep all the way through the neoprene and drip onto the floor? Doesn't seem like it to me, but again, maybe I'm missing something?

If I'm going astray somewhere, and the pedant in you is still willing to humor the pedant in me, by all means point it out.[/quote]

I think that absorbency isn't a black/white issue. Sure, a kitchen sponge is really absorbent, but that doesn't mean stuff has to be that absorbent to absorb stuff. Yes, the open cell nature of the kitchen sponge differs from the closed cell neoprene, but I'm not talking about that part, I'm talking about the sponge material and the neoprene material.

maybe another analogy would be better. Here in New Zealand, it's legal to make your own liquor.Niiiiiiice. I make my own and I'm becoming pretty damned good at it. Traditionally, when making liquor, it comes out of the still as a clear colourless liquid, that gets put in wooden barrels. Wood is waterproof, (like neoprene), which is how wooden boats manage to float. As you probably know, booze stays in the barrels for some time, often for years. During those years, several things happen. 1, the tannins in the wood leach into the alcohol, making it the lovely tea/caramel colour. 2, the wood absorbs alcohol (and gets heavier) 3, alcohol evaporates through the wood (the angels share) and less booze is left in the barrel.

When you empty the barrel and let it dry for a number of days, to the point that it's dry to the touch, inside and out, it's still considerably heavier than the fresh (dry) barrel you started with. The wood has absorbed the alcohol, making it heavier. This same absorbency of wood is used in steam bending of wood, to make cool and useful shapes (in boats for example). In short, wood can be both waterproof and absorbent. Neoprene behaves in the same way, even if it's not to the same extent as a kitchen sponge or rum barrel or wooden boat.

TriDork

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, we've clarified our disagreement. Wood is cellulose fiber--like those kitchen sponges--and definitely absorbs water. You believe that rubber similarly absorbs water, just like wood and paper and kitchen sponges, the examples you've used, do. I do not believe rubber absorbs water. Maybe others with knowledge about the character of rubber, and its interactions with water, will weigh in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I'm an engineer, I'm not a materials engineer, so I admit my lack of expertise in this area.

I have just been trying to help you bridge the gap between your understanding and the fact that wetsuits stretch more when wet. I'm sorry my wet wood analogy didn't work for you, even if wood is waterproof and absorbent.

Neoprene isn't wood, but my understanding is that it behaves very similar in the presence of water.

Like you, I hope an expert weighs in with some facts.......

(and I hope the wooden boat I'm restoring at present, floats when I launch it. If not, I can console myself with a barrel of some home made rum :-)

oh, and keep your wetsuit dry ;-)

TriDork

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're an engineer, so presumably you don't need me to tell you this, but...wood floats because it is less dense than water (even if it absorbs some water, though you're going to want to minimize water absorption for your wooden boat). But boats can be made out of materials that are denser than water, like metal. A metal boat will also float, despite the fact that metal is more dense than water, because the boat as a whole weighs less than the water its shape displaces. This really has nothing to do with absorption or wet suits, though. It does, however, make me wonder whether you also believe metal and plastic absorb water, as you believe rubber does.
Last edited by: niccolo: Apr 2, 17 14:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
You're an engineer, so presumably you don't need me to tell you this, but...wood floats because it is less dense than water (even if it absorbs some water, though you're going to want to minimize water absorption for your wooden boat). But boats can be made out of materials that are denser than water, like metal. A metal boat will also float, despite the fact that metal is more dense than water, because the boat as a whole weighs less than the water its shape displaces. This really has nothing to do with absorption or wet suits, though. It does, however, make me wonder whether you also believe metal and plastic absorb water, as you believe rubber does.

Rubber comes from the sap of trees (the aptly named rubber tree), and therefore is organic. And yes I believe it absorbs water. (maybe not much compared with a kitchen sponeg, but some, and that is good enough for me)

I've tried to help long enough and am not interested in battling with you for no benefit. If you don't believe soaking a wetsuit has benefits for you, for whatever reason, don't soak it before your first swim of the season. The rest of us will. (any your red herring of an argument about steel and plastic doesn't interest me at all)

Later......

TriDork

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No worries, it's been an interesting discussion. I could imagine the synthetic rubber used in wetsuits--which is made from petroleum or limestone, not rubber trees--absorbing a tiny amount of water, though my best guess is that's not the case. Emilio seems to agree, and suggested his recommendation of wetting had to do with the internal liner material and the glue used to bond it to the neoprene, not the neoprene itself. But I'm definitely open to being corrected, and remain genuinely curious about whether I'm misunderstanding something about the character of blown closed cell synthetic rubber, i.e. neoprene.
Quote Reply
Re: A Tip from Emilio: Wet your Wetsuit days before your first race [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WD Pro wrote:
Weigh it, soak it, dry it (48 in an air con environment ?), weigh it again ?

I am I the group that thinks once it's external surface and inner lining material is dry, the suit is dry.

WD :-)

Go one, someone with accurate scales give this a go ... :-)

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: A Tip from Emilio: Wet your Wetsuit days before your first race [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Emilio, is there any need to do this with a NEW wetsuit?
I just gother a T1 and was thinking, of its been in a shop or storage for a while then shipped, should you also wet a new wetsuit or is this pointless?
Quote Reply
Re: A Tip from Emilio: Wet your Wetsuit days before your first race [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A good time to rebump this Tip and to reply to your question (sorry I missed it the first time around). There is no need to soak a new T1 Wetsuit given it is stored in our warehouse, which is temperature and humidity controlled to protect not only our wetsuits, but also our finished garments and rolls of fabrics.

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply
Re: A Tip from Emilio: Wet your Wetsuit days before your first race [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugh. Needed this reminder before last Sunday. First race and had a catastrophic blowout of my suit under my left armpit as I was putting it on...headed to SUGA for donation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Emilio wrote:
This one has been rebumped just about every year since 2006. I figured better to start a new thread.

https://www.facebook.com/.../?type=3&theater

This is too bizarro-world...no less than 10 minutes ago I pulled my wetsuit out of storage to prepare it this weekend for an initial season soaking in the tub. I have a couple of races next month Gomez's hometown & don't want 59-61 F water getting in through a fully preventable tear in it. I remember this tip by Emilo from years past, and yes, his advice was the catalyst for me digging it out now.
Quote Reply

Prev Next