Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Compact Crankset Change
Quote | Reply
I am buying a cervelo R2.5 and was wondering how easy is it to switch from the compact crank. Does this take a lot of work or can you just switch the crankset? I know there was just a thread on compact cranks but do you think it is worth it to change to larger rings if I am used to that? Thanks Nick
Quote Reply
Re: Compact Crankset Change [katokalin22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You just need to add a couple of links to the chain (or get a new chain), I have a compact crankset but usually run a 52/38 combo, if I am doing a ride with sustained steep climbs then I can put the 50-34 back on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Compact chainsets and triple chainsets are a sign of weakness. That being said, you can easily get a new chainset and sell that pocksy compact on ebay. Get a real chainset and ride like a man.

Call me Big Dick
Quote Reply
Re: Compact Crankset Change [flying wombat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this all I need to do? I do not need to chanage out the derailleur or anything like that?
Quote Reply
Re: Compact Crankset Change [flying wombat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You just need to add a couple of links to the chain (or get a new chain), I have a compact crankset but usually run a 52/38 combo, if I am doing a ride with sustained steep climbs then I can put the 50-34 back on.
You can probably find a chain length that will work for both set-ups or go with a Wipperman or SRAM removeable-link chain and swap those with the cranksets. You might also need to explain that you can't just swap them out... you need to move the front derailleur up or down to accommodate the size of the large chainring. Addtionally, most find that a standard front derailleur won't shift well with a compact crankset and have gone to a compact-specific front derailleur.
Quote Reply
Re: Compact Crankset Change [Double-Avocados] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will compact-specific derailleur function normally on a larger chainring? I understand about moving the derailleur, but I really do not want to spend too much money on replacing a derailleur. If I just add links to the chain and get new chainrings will that work? What about with a campy set-up will the FSA chainrings work?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Will compact-specific derailleur function normally on a larger chainring? I understand about moving the derailleur, but I really do not want to spend too much money on replacing a derailleur. If I just add links to the chain and get new chainrings will that work? What about with a campy set-up will the FSA chainrings work?
I think you might end up with a problem with the inner plate of the compact derailleur rubbing on a 38 or 39 tooth chainring. I think they only run around $50 for the compact derailleurs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same derailleur works for both. Most likely you would need a different bottom bracket, if you are switching brands of cranksets.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got 3 compact cranksets (mine, wife, dad) and we are all using standard front derailleurs. Initially I had problems, but a little adjusting took care of it. For my wife we just bought one of those $10 3rd eye chain watchers and that solved the problem 100%. It seems the 34 tooth inner ring (wife) is a little more finicky than a 36 tooth (mine).

I don't think the question is relevant though if the bike currently has a standard derailleur (likely). Do you know for certain that it is currently compact specific.

Cool races:
- Redman
Last edited by: Justin in OK: Oct 28, 05 22:04
Quote Reply
Re: Compact Crankset Change [Justin in OK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would just be replacing the chainrings from 50/34 to maybe a 53/38 or 52/38. I think it already has a compact derailleur, so will this work. It is campy, but it seems that FSA only makes one set for the 110mm bolt pattern. Is the only difference in normal cranks (shimano/campy) the 130/135 bolt pattern difference. So could I just buy new chainrings and links for my chain and be alright?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Same derailleur works for both. Most likely you would need a different bottom bracket, if you are switching brands of cranksets.
Brands have nothing to do with bottom brackets... standards do. You either have the two square-taper bb's (JIS or ISO), octalink, ISIS or the outboard-bearing setups. FSA, for example, makes octalink, ISIS and outboard-bearing cranksets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes the difference between compact and regular is the bolt pattern (diameter). Can you find 52/53 and 38 tooth rings with 110BCD? If so, great. I didn't think they went that large. If not, then you'll need a new crankset with the 130/135 BCD.

Cool races:
- Redman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I would just be replacing the chainrings from 50/34 to maybe a 53/38 or 52/38. I think it already has a compact derailleur, so will this work. It is campy, but it seems that FSA only makes one set for the 110mm bolt pattern. Is the only difference in normal cranks (shimano/campy) the 130/135 bolt pattern difference. So could I just buy new chainrings and links for my chain and be alright?

I can't follow your question... are you asking if you can put 53/38 or 52/38 chainrings on a 110mm compact crankarm? You might check to see if TA Specialites makes those chainrings in 110mm, because I don't think FSA does.

And yes, standard is the 130/135 bolt pattern, compact is 110mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah FSA makes the chainrings that bikg, do you think they will fit on without changing the derailleur?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TA Specialites makes inside from 34 and outside to 61... and they are nicer than FSA... so you can do what you want with a compact drive and larger rings.

If it has a compact specific front derailleur, though, like I said before I think it might rub on a 38 tooth ring because of the larger inner plate on the chain-guide. I would contact whoever makes the derailleur and ask them about it's chainring capacity.
Last edited by: Double-Avocados: Oct 28, 05 22:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This statement is still true: Most likely you would need a different bottom bracket, if you are switching brands of cranksets.

Granted it is not the brand that makes the need, but much of the time if you do change brands you also changed the BB type (ISIS, ocatalink, outboard), and more often the spindle length changes.

An FSA Gossamer compact crank will not work with the same BB as a Shimano Ultegra 9 (different spindle length) and neither of those work use the same BB as a new Truvativ compact crankset (T is outboard bearing).

I was just trying to keep it simple for the guy. If he were planning on putting a new FSA standard crankset on to replace the FSA compact, it would be pretty easy to use the same BB.

Cool races:
- Redman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you'd like to swap easily PM me. I'll swap my Dura-Ace 53/39 crank for a 50/34 straight up. I'll swap the bottom bracket too, if needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]I am buying a cervelo R2.5 and was wondering how easy is it to switch from the compact crank. Does this take a lot of work or can you just switch the crankset? I know there was just a thread on compact cranks but do you think it is worth it to change to larger rings if I am used to that? Thanks Nick[/reply]

Thats odd...I just bought a new R2.5 chorus & it came with the FSA pro team issue crank. 130mm 53/39 rings.
Funny too that opposite of you I am thinking of trying compacts. All my riding is up & down.
Last edited by: flying: Nov 2, 05 0:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used an FSA 50/34 compact all summer with a standard dura ace double derailer. You have to be very precise when adjusting the height of the derailer above the larger ring (make sure the 1mm gap is actually 1mm and not 4 or 5 like a lot of people install em), but once it's set up it works fine.

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Re: Compact Crankset Change [jonblyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My soloist came with the FSA c-16 and a standard Gossamer crankset, so I'm running the opposite of you in terms of size. My LBS cannot figure out how to get the front to shift up to the big ring smoothly and reliably. Sometimes it's 4 or 5 turns of the pedals to get it to go. I'd say that standard derailleurs are more compatible with compacts than the other way around.
Quote Reply