Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon is open for registration!
Quote | Reply
We had planned a November 1st date for opening registration, but the new web site was done, so we opened it up today.

Go to www.steelheadtriathlon.com to register for the race. This will be our 4th year and we look forward to producing a first-class event next summer. Hope to see you in Benton Harbor on August 5, 2006. Z
Quote Reply
Post deleted by trikellys [ In reply to ]
Re: The Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon is open for registration! [trikellys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

other than it's a part of the 70.3 series....why the big jump in entry fee??

I think you answered your own question. Safe bet there is no other reason.

I can sympathize entirely with the two tri household dilema. We deal with that as well. 2 of everything really adds up. Sadly $160 is still on the low end of what other 70.3 races are charging and I believe less than the average for any 1/2IM in the US. Tis the price we pay for having such a popular and growing sport.

Don't forget (unless there is a change or it is already included), expect to pay an additional $10 for a one-day license for GTG insurance since all 70.3 races are not USAT insured and as of now there is no annual license fee for GTG. I haven't looked, but since there is no annual license available it would make sense to include that in the base entry fee, since everyone would need to pay it anyway.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Re: The Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon is open for registration! [trikellys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We had planned an increase in price to cover the addional costs of putting on the race this year.

Our costs will go up as our vendors will have to increase their prices for t-shirts, awards, ice, rental equipment, etc.

We expect that our expenses will increase by 10-15% next summer.

$10 of the entry fee goes to the GTG for the athletes so the entry fee is really $150.00.

If you look at most of 70.3 races you will see that Steelhead is one of the least expensive races.

Blackwater, Buffalo Springs, Vineman, Ironman California 70.3 and Ironman Florida 70.3 are all around $185 - $200.

Many Olympic distance triathlons charge close to $150.

We plan on upgrading the race t-shirt to a long sleeve shirt and we are planning to produce a concert after the race.

As home town triathletes, I hope that you and your husband will both race again this year.

We could not do the race without the support of the local sponsors like Whirlpool, Pizza Hut and Holiday Inn and the great volunteers that come out to support athletes during the race.

Z
Quote Reply
Re: The Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon is open for registration! [Justin in OK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
70.3 was not the reason for the increase - the cost of putting on the race is the reason for the increase and you are correct - Steelhead is on the low end of 1/2 Ironman races in the US.

I do not know what other 70.3 races are doing about the $10.00 GTG fee, but Steelhead is paying it out of the entry fee - You will not have to pay an additional $10.00 at the race!

Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am normally the first person to complain about race prices, but $160 seems fair. It is a beautiful part of the country and part of the 70.3 series. I fully expected to see a $195 price tag on this race this year. I think I am going to sign up for this race, but I probably will look for someone to travel with to split costs.

Tom, will this race have (100) 70.3 slots like the other races?

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trikellys -

With two of you in the game I can see your point, but Steelhead at $160 is not at all out of line. Timberman will be $165 next year (going up to $180 after June 10), and Eagleman is set for $195. I don't know where to draw the line in the sand --- although $225 for Mighty Man seems excessive! I've done Eagleman a couple of times, and if it fit my schedule I would do it next year as well - even at $195, it would be worth it. Timberman, which I have also done twice, has quickly become a legend in its own time, and $165 for it is an extremely worthwhile investment. As for Steelhead (which I have yet to do), it has received nothing but great reviews, and at $160 it is a cost that I will gladly pay if I can fit it in my schedule for '06 (and I have every intention of doing this).

In the midwest, though, you are fortunate to have HFP Racing in the general neighborhood, as their 1/2s are consistenly lower-priced than anything else around - perfect for the truly budget-conscious! But your concerns are valid, and the climbing cost of races is potentially problematic. This past season I did most of my racing right here in Ontario, and enjoyed good races at very low prices. However, I also did the New York City Triathlon, which at $125 is kind of high for an oly -- but how can you replicate that venue?!? I consider that $125 a very reasonable cost, and I guess what it comes down to is that we all have to pick our spots when it comes to race fees that seem a bit higher than the norm. Steelhead, though, at $160 seems very reasonable for what you will likely get from the event.
Last edited by: stevebradley: Oct 28, 05 20:45
Quote Reply
Post deleted by trikellys [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is "Iron Baby Zachary" aware of his destiny??? :o)
Quote Reply
Re: The Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon is open for registration! [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Do you know what the prize purse is going to be at the 70.3 races, or just the Whirpool?

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Quote Reply
Re: The Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon is open for registration! [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes- we have 100 slots for the Ironman 70.3 World Championship! Z
Quote Reply
Re: The Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon is open for registration! [BIGZACH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of the Ironman 70.3 races will have prize money - Steelhead will not - the Ironman 70.3 World Championship in Clearwater will have $100,000 in prize money. Z
Quote Reply
Re: The Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon is open for registration! [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I loved this race and will be signing up for next years...maybe by then, you would have mailed me my finishers medal from THIS year??? :)

http://www.ironm4n.blogspot.com

-----------------
http://www.konashelley.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Well, I just signed up...if I get that Kona lottery spot Steelhead will be my validation race and if not... it'll be a good long workout 5 weeks before IMWI!

Looking forward to taking part in what I have heard is a very well-produced event.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

I signed up. And I do not have any complaints for you.

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you guys complaining about prices want some cheaper options, you can come up and race in Ontario and Southern Quebec, in which case, you can race for $100 CDN ($84 US) or less at the following races:
  1. Peterborough Half Ironman (www.trisportcanada.com)
  2. Carleton Place Half Ironman (www.somersault.ca)
  3. Collingwood half Ironman (www.multisportcanada.com)
  4. Ste Agathe Half Ironman (www.sportriple.com)
  5. Parry Sound Half Ironman (www.multisportcanada.com)
  6. Canadian Half Ironman (Ottawa) (www.somersault.ca)
  7. Esprit Half Ironman (Montreal) (www.esprittriathlon.com)

Four of these races are within 2 hours of my home (two are less than 20 min away) and the rest are 3-4 hours. I have to say that we are blessed with affordable racing options all summer here in Ontario :-).
Quote Reply
Re: The Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon is open for registration! [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev;

Collingwood Half as been cancelled for next year.

http://www.multisportcanada.com/...onclusion_letter.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: The Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon is open for registration! [Trevor S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trevor, that is really too bad. I never did that particular race, but I always heard good things.

How is the 2006 training going. I was on the rollerskis 4 times this week. Tri is gradually fading to the backburner :-(
Quote Reply
Re: The Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon is open for registration! [tri_gear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry - You should have gotton the medal in the mail by now - we sent them out about 3 weeks ago - e-mail me at tomziebart@aol.com and I will make sure you get a medal. Z
Quote Reply