some pros are pros because of their training,
some pros are pros DESPITE their training

g

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Quote Reply
Re: intuitive vs scientific - training [gregclimbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
people respond differently to different things.
Quote Reply
Re: intuitive vs scientific - training [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]people respond differently to different things.[/reply]

regardless my statement is still true

there are many that attain a high level of performance relying on genetics/physical attributes vs. the QUALITY of the training and structure they follow...

g

greg
www.wattagetraining.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've got to combine both.

I like the idea of following a scientific schedule and adjusting it to one's body.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Intuitively I know I should do what my coach tells me to, because he has a scientific plan.......kj

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Intuitively I know I should do what my coach tells me to, because he has a scientific plan.......kj

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is not versus... good training is intuitive AND scientific...

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: intuitive vs scientific - training [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to say that it is a good thing when intuition agrees with science. Some folk's intuition doesn't stand up to science. Some folk's junk science defies intuition, but they follow the numbers anyway.

Anyway...SAC said it better, and shorter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it depends.
Depends on what your level is and what your aims are.
it also depends on what your view of science is and how that enables/llimits training.

science gave us all the main principles of exercise, specificity, overload, rest, frequency, etc but these principles dont tell us "how"to train scientifically.

xcience gave us watts, HR, gps etc but the details of how to use them and the principles above are best developed through trial and error for each individual.

The reality for most, depending on their aims is that it doesn't matter too much what they do or how they do it, only that they need to do alot before the fine details become more important. But you cant do alot of training without following certain principles of exercise such as overload and rest. So you could argue that even unstructured intuitive training is scientific if you improve and dont get injured.

Some people despise training gadgets and training scientifically (inferring science is only used with gadgets) but use a scientific method of analysing their "unscientific" training.

Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: intuitive vs scientific - training [gregclimbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
some pros are pros because of their training,
some pros are pros DESPITE their training

Exactly! Its a nice way to look at it because it allows a mediocre AG'r such as myself to feel good about my own training in that I can easily divide pros into one of the two categories based on my own philosophies. Solid.

ot
Quote Reply
Re: intuitive vs scientific - training [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with smartass. Some element of both is needed.

The body is not a machine with deterministic Input/Output, it can vary substantially from day to day. If you are a slave to numbers only you will be doomed, on the other hand if you are clueless and don't optimize the Training=Work+Rest equation, you'll flame out in races or end up on the disabled list :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big Jan v Lance?
Quote Reply
Re: intuitive vs scientific - training [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're agreeing with me Dev??? I need to check the planet alignment or something... ;-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The science is there to measure what you are doing intuitively. THey should, and do complement each other, and one without the other, is like ying without the yang....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
train intuitively, but use scientific instrumentation to analyze that training when a specific goal/desire is in the foreseeable future. for instance, use a powermeter, but mount the computer in your bag or cover up the face so it's not a distraction during the workout. such training, in my opinion, is enabling me to fine tune my intuition.
Quote Reply
Re: intuitive vs scientific - training [Sojourner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Understand the science of physiology well enough that your intuition is worth following.
Quote Reply