Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I'm not a weight weenie!
Quote | Reply
...well not that much of one anyway.

Given Tom's observations on poorly maintained bikes I should probably replace some of the more rusty bolts on my bike - and since I am getting new bolts I might as well get Titanium (no rust)

Anyone know where to buy Titanium hardware?
Quote Reply
Re: I'm not a weight weenie! [bpq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SRP. You can get some of their bolt kits off Ebay. Frankly, you've hit the real reason anyone should bother considering those bolts...of course that still doesn't negate the need to clean and lube your sh*t once in a while.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm not a weight weenie! [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is impossible to find SRP bolt kits for anything produced in the past 3 years. Are they out of business?

If you can find a set, they'll likely save you 100-200 grams for a complete set. ;-)

Quote | Reply
There are lots of sources, you need to be aware of the loads the bolts see before you go replacing them with ti. Bolts that see bending stresses and lots of removal and retorqing may require steel construction.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or stainless steel, which is tougher and probably a better choice in some applications. Also generally cheaper.

McMaster-Carr (mcmastercarr.com) has a pretty good selection of stainless & titanium hardware.

Aircraft Spruce (aircraftspruce.com) also has some nice milspec stuff.

Coast Fabrication will have or can get any of the stuff you need. (coastfab.com). When I wrenched on race cars, they were our source for most stuff. They can get anything.

But deling with these places, you will have to measure all of your fasteners, since they have no idea what size bolt is required for a Shimano brake caliper. :)

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a pro mechanic I recommend not getting ti bolts. Ti is a very soft material and they are very very easy to strip out with too much torque. With steel at least you know it's probably not going to strip out unless the hulk puts them on.

ps if you've gone to your LBS with a gram scale, yes you are a weight weenie
Quote Reply