Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Exploding tires
Quote | Reply
Ok, so it didn't quite explode, but after finishing a 20 mile ride, I put my bike into the back of my truck, and was talking to a guy I had been riding with. About 2 minutes into our conversation, I heard a loud pop and watched my rear tire deflate. What could have caused this?
Quote Reply
Re: Exploding tires [Jerrodg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A sidewall cut late in your ride; it slowly gave way until the tube ballooned out and boom!

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Exploding tires [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, so it wasn't caused by anthing in my rim that would cause it to happen again? I'm not much of a bike mechanic and don't want to put a new tube on to meet the same fate. My mom bought a used bike, with a flat rear tire. I changed the tube, pumped it up with air and the next morning it was flat. Ticked me off. I've been waiting on changing the tube to ensure that doesn't happen to me. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Obviously check the rim as you replace your tube, and check the tire...replace as necessary, re-tape the rim also if necessary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Ok, so it wasn't caused by anthing in my rim that would cause it to happen again? I'm not much of a bike mechanic and don't want to put a new tube on to meet the same fate. My mom bought a used bike, with a flat rear tire. I changed the tube, pumped it up with air and the next morning it was flat. Ticked me off. I've been waiting on changing the tube to ensure that doesn't happen to me. Thanks.

Tires go boom! when an inflated tube is outside the tire/rim. This happens with sidewall cuts, bead failures (?), and tire installation with the tube stuck between the bead and rim. Tires go ssss! when the tube is punctured inside the tire/rim. This happens with road debris, pinch flats, poor rim tape (tube enters nipple/spoke hole), and the like.

Carefully check your tire for damage, from the inside. Look for cuts.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, so it wasn't caused by anthing in my rim that would cause it to happen again?

I think that is an unsafe inference to make from what Ken wrote. Of course it could be something on the inside of the tire or on the rim or bad tape or whatever. I think Ken was just trying to give you an idea. Always inspect the tire and rim and tape when you get a situation like this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bright, sunny day? Pickup truck with black bedliner?

You drop a x degree tire onto a x+70 degree black plastic bedliner. BLAM! Happens all the time down here in South Carolina. You don't put fully-inflated, high-pressure tires into the back of a pickup truck on a sunny day. The rapid air expansion will often cause a tire to blow. I've seen it at least a dozen times.

Bob C.
Quote Reply
Re: Exploding tires [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, bright and sunny Texas day in a black truck bed. Funny thing though, I lived last summer in Moab, UT where it was way hotter than that day was and never had it happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 would say Ken is right - tube was on the outside of the tire when inflated.

Solution for this is to mount the tire and tube and before inflating check both sides of the rim bead all the way around for any tube showing

It's worth the 20 seconds this takes -

Quote Reply
Re: Exploding tires [cwdzoot1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jerrodg,

"but after finishing a 20 mile ride, I put my bike into the back of my truck, and was talking to a guy I had been riding with. About 2 minutes into our conversation, I heard a loud pop"

I've never seen anyone ride 20 miles on a tire whose tube was on the outside when inflated. I would like to meet that person, though.

Okay, maybe I misunderstood. Maybe it was a 20 mile ride in the vehicle to where he was going to go for a bike ride.

Still, I would be surprised if a tire/tube could survive this long with part of the tube outside (between the tire bead and the clincher rim),

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply