Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

54cm frame-sized girl on 56cm frame--help requested
Quote | Reply
Folks,

Here's the scoop: I have a 56cm Salsa Campeon frame, though I should be on a 54cm frame, but the deal was too good to pass up so what's done is done. After a year of riding on it, I just can't take it any more--I'm just too stretched out! I'm wondering if a shorter stem, angled stem, or shorter and angled stem would help with fit, or if nothing can be done at all to truly feel comfortable on this pretty but just-a-tad-too-long bike.

Currently, I have an 80mm ITM Road Racing stem. Do you have any suggestions, recommendations, or testimonials?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Quote Reply
Re: 54cm frame-sized girl on 56cm frame--help requested [knitpick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might want to try to slide your saddle forward more if that is possible.
Quote Reply
Re: 54cm frame-sized girl on 56cm frame--help requested [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yes, I've already done that.
Quote Reply
Re: 54cm frame-sized girl on 56cm frame--help requested [knitpick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It wasn't such a great deal because you need a new frame. ebay!

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pics?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might try a Profile Fast Forward seatpost- this moves you forward by several cms. I use a road frame and this helps improve the geometry and my positioning. Try and pick one up on ebay, if not, they cost around $60. Of course, I'm assuming that vertically you aren't stretched out, only horizontally with respect to your aerobars.
Quote Reply
Re: 54cm frame-sized girl on 56cm frame--help requested [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh but it was a great deal--I got it wholesale, which for awhile, made the pain worh it. ;o)

In regards to the forward seatpost, wouldn't that push my knees beyond my crank and reduce my power, or have you found that to not be a problem?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pictures!

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe my knees are a little bit in front of my cranks, and have noticed very little if any loss in power. You should measure where your knees are on your current setup and give it a try. You can try it out for a few rides (assuming you purchase it on the internet) and if you find it doesn't work, you can return it for a refund, just check their return policies (most places will accept it back and refund your money). Again, this isn't ideal but if $$ is an issue, than it is an option.
Quote Reply
Re: 54cm frame-sized girl on 56cm frame--help requested [Ironwoof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huh, alright. I like this forward seatpost idea... it'd definitely cut off a few more mm than a new stem.. Is anyone out there keen about using an angled stem on a road bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it does not fit just get rid of it. Fit is too important to compromise. Having too large a frame is especially bad if you are using this bike for tri. Just e-bay it and replace. Life is too short for a long top tube... If you can't afford a new bike, check e-bay. This is a great time to be a buyer since folks are selling off stuff in anticipation of new models coming out for 06.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best choice is to get a new frame.

Second choice is to put a shorter stem on it. You can easily swap out a 60mm stem. I know profile makes them. The top tube difference between a 56cm and 54cm Salsa Campeon is 15mm, so that should do the trick. You can probably find stems down to 45mm, if necessary.

The 80 to 60 shouldn't have any effects on handling and should be easy to do. Hopefully no cables need to be shortened. Just losen and tighten a few bolts.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was in a similar situation before. New bike made a world of difference. In the meantime, try the 30 degree IRD F4 Riser Stem here on the bottom of the page. I've seen women with even shorter stems too; does it affect handling, probably. But a couple of 20~30$ stems is worth a shot before the hassle of selling a frame, finding a new bike etc.

or of course, check out a real fitter who knows more than most of us wannabes.
Last edited by: deechee: Oct 27, 05 11:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Currently, I have an 80mm ITM Road Racing stem. Do you have any suggestions, recommendations, or testimonials?"

knitpick,

An even shorter stem will likely lead to a bike with steering issues, too twitchy.

It is almost universally recommended that if two different size frame could fit, go with the smaller of the two. I have never heard of anyone recommending get fit and then get the next larger frame size.

Sorry you discovered this the hard way. Live and learn. Good luck.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Re: 54cm frame-sized girl on 56cm frame--help requested [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If it does not fit just get rid of it.
I have to agree. I was in a similar situation not so very long ago...my first bike was a 54cm frame (I think the guy who sold it to me kind of took me for a ride). didn't know much about bikes then, and didn't realize that anything was wrong until some guy on aerobars rode past me one day and pointed out that I had a lower position than he did because I was so stretched out. I ride a 51 now and am soooooo much happier. decent fit is definitely worth it. I toyed with the idea of a forward seatpost when I still had the 54, but didn't go that route because of the handling issues and I'm glad I didn't.

Quote | Reply
I wouldn't agree with the forward seat post since it may put too much weight on the front wheel thus having a negative effect on handling. A neutral set back seat post would likely be better. You've already got an 80cm stem so you can't really go any shorter without also having a negative effect on handling.

To tell the honest truth - your best bet is to sell the frame on ebay and replace it with something that is your size.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you've already gone to an 80cm stem, and have your saddle forward on the rails, I'd suspect that even the 54cm frame might be too large. I'm a bit over 5'11", and I ride a 54cm tri frame. Get a good fit somewhere, and get a new frame. Everything else is worse than a bandage approach, the handling issues alone of using a forward seat post can make your ride downright dangerous. The steering can be so twitchy that even looking back while in the aero bars is enough to send you into another rider, or worse, across the centerline and into traffic. Get a new (and properly sized) frame.
Quote Reply
Re: 54cm frame-sized girl on 56cm frame--help requested [fexy01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, hot-dog! Thanks for all of the responses everyone! I think I'll hang onto my bike for the winter (since I tend to ride "handless" on my trainer anyway) and just might sell this puppy come spring or summer.

It really is quite the frankenstein machine. I know someone will love it!
Quote Reply