Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Energy bar for racing?
Quote | Reply
What energy bar is recommended to get calories in during the bike leg of the Ironman?

I've read to limit fiber intake and keep protein intake below 20 grams.
Cliffbars are high in fibre and leave me bloated.
Most other energy bar brands that are low in fiber are high in protein, which doesn't digest well under race conditions.

Is there an energy bar brand that is both low in fiber and protein, yet has high carbs and around 250 calories per bar?
Quote Reply
Re: Energy bar for racing? [bshanberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snickers

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
twinkie?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's hard to beat the original Powerbar Performance bar. It is pretty refined so it digests relatively easy and is low in fiber.

This is the original Powerbar that came in Malt Nut, Chocolate, Wild Berry and is now in a number of flavors.

Phil's Bars are good too, if they are still around.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right now I am enjoying Odwalla Bars. They don't melt.

Quote | Reply
You may want to try getting your calories in via liquid form. It seems easier for me (first IM in 10 days) but I only know from training and doing really long race sims. No wrapper to deal with just drink. I use carbo-pro and swear by it. A lot of people here also like infinit nutrition.

Good luck. I actually do one bar (clif bar) to get a little protein in around 4 hours or so on the bike; but all the rest of my calories are in a concentrated liquid form that I chase each sip with water.

http://www.mountainmettle.com
Quote Reply
Re: Energy bar for racing? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Odwalla bars

http://www.odwalla.com/...itionalbars&sw=1

Quote | Reply
 Whoops-try this again

Here is what works for me. I am assuming that you are doing IMFL. Spindogg, I know that you prefer all liquid--which works for me in a shorter race, but I find that having something solid breaks up the food monotony in IM racing. Here's what I would do for a 5:30 bike or so

Set up 3 bottles with the following: 1 packet each Amino Vital, 2 scoops Carbo Pro, 70% Gatorade, 30% water (to temper sweetness of AV). I use one Aero Bottle and two on cages. I alternate these bottles with clif bars and regular water.

0:00-:45-drink one bottle

:46-1:30-eat 1/2 clif bar and water

1:31-2:30 drink one bottle

2:21-3:15 eat 1/2 clif bar and water

3:16-4:30 drink one bottle

4:31-5:30 eat total on one clif bar and water

This is about 1800 calories. I usually take in about 1600 due to sloshing or something. I am on the small size. If you are tall you prob. want to adjust upwards. This has worked for me in my last 5 Ironman races and I raced well. I didn't follow this Kona 05 and had some problems (duh--why change things, right?).

If you are worried about fiber, take an Immodium race day morning with your breakfast. This seems to temper stomach problems and make you relatively normal. Overload of sugar is a "liquifier" (like in baking/chemistry). The new Oat/Raisin clif is pretty good.

I love snickers but they tend to melt--twinkies I don't know about

Good Luck!

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Last edited by: Honey: Oct 26, 05 12:46
Quote Reply