Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

P3-SL vs. P3C seatpost & setback question
Quote | Reply
I'm setting up a P3C (54) to match my old P3SL (55) configuration. On the P3-SL, I used the seatpost turned forward, but slammed the saddle almost all the way back to achieve a 0cm seat-bb offset. To get this offset on the P3C, I have to use the forward hole, but I also have to push the saddle almost all the way forward too.

The P3C will work for me, but I'm surprised by this. The most forward seat position possible on the P3-SL is maybe 3-4 cm in front of the BB, on the P3C it's only about 1cm. I'd think it would be the opposite, since the P3C is nomially the smaller frame. Anyone else notice this? What gives?

--jens
Quote Reply
Re: P3-SL vs. P3C seatpost & setback question [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lets see a pic when you are finished. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's your saddle height?

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: P3-SL vs. P3C seatpost & setback question [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What's your saddle height?

73.2 cm.

-jens

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So basically you can't ride steeper than 78deg. Interesting.

And hey, I can ride your bike!

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: P3-SL vs. P3C seatpost & setback question [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So basically you can't ride steeper than 78deg. Interesting.

And hey, I can ride your bike!

Admire it, fawn over it, drool over it -- Yes. Ride it -- no! ;-).

I just did the actual measurement with a plumb bob. With the seat slammed all the way forward on the rail, the tip is only 1cm in front of the BB. I feel like I must be getting something wrong. The top tube doesn't slope at all on these does it?

-jens
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jens,

how tall are you?
Quote Reply
Re: P3-SL vs. P3C seatpost & setback question [maxhr203] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
jens,

how tall are you?

5'10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not to hijack the thread but how do you like your p3sl? there's one for sale for $2999 that i'm seriously thinking about. i'm 5'11" and it's a 55 so i don't know if it will fit though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On my 56cm P3C I can get 3cm in front of the BB with a Arione.
Quote Reply
Re: P3-SL vs. P3C seatpost & setback question [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
not to hijack the thread but how do you like your p3sl? there's one for sale for $2999 that i'm seriously thinking about. i'm 5'11" and it's a 55 so i don't know if it will fit though.

Awesome bike. I can't tell you about sizing. That's dependent on a lot more than your height.

-jens
Quote Reply
Re: P3-SL vs. P3C seatpost & setback question [Andy G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
On my 56cm P3C I can get 3cm in front of the BB with a Arione.

That would square pretty much with my measurement -- the Arione has an extra 2 cm, right?

-jens
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought most of Airone's 3cm extra length was rearward.

From Tom D's site:

When I initially examined the Arione in the Las Vegas Desert at the Interbike Dirt Demo 2003 I though the rearward most 2 cm of the saddle was a waste, merely cosmetic. In actually using the saddle I discovered I was wrong. It is very useful. The Arione opens up the “fit band” so that a rider has more options as to where they can position their pelvis over the bottom bracket. This 30 cm (3 cm additional over previous saddles) range of motion provides substantial enhanced capability for the rider to employ new pedaling geometries. This also included being able to effectively raise and lower your saddle as you slide forward and backward on the saddle itself. The farther back you position yourself, effectively the higher you are. The farther forward you slide the lower you are effectively, positioned more vertically over the bottom bracket and compressing the pedal stroke. This affords the cyclist a wide range of pedaling styles not as available of traditional saddle designs.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This should be correct. The laid back P3SL carbon post when flipped forward puts you at a further forward starting point than the P3C forward hole. Why not just use the P3SL post (or is thie not usable in the P3C) ?
Quote Reply
Re: P3-SL vs. P3C seatpost & setback question [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This should be correct. The laid back P3SL carbon post when flipped forward puts you at a further forward starting point than the P3C forward hole. Why not just use the P3SL post (or is thie not usable in the P3C) ?

The P3C seatmast is about twice as wide (front to back) as the P3-SL's. It's really not an issue for me, since I only need a 0 setback. I was just surprised and curious to discover this.

-- jens
Quote Reply