Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

miracle cures for road rash?
Quote | Reply
So yesterday I got the perfect storm of crashing scenarios - wet leaves, painted line, pedestrians, and a corner. Guess who locked up their back wheel.

Now I'm graced with road rash on my right hip, all up my arm, and have a few chunks missing on my hand and elbow. Obviously I'm a bit stiff and sore this morning. Vicodin and neosporin have been my treatment to date.

Can anyone recommend any miracle treatments for road rash? I'd like to get back on the bike this week, but it feels like the scabs crack whenever I move, not to mention the bruises I'm going to get on that hip.

And perhaps a cosmetic fix for my right STI? The plastic between the lever and the hood is scratched to hell. Maybe something to smooth it out and make it look less crashed-on?
Quote Reply
Re: miracle cures for road rash? [Alpern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out a product called 'Duoderm' from your local pharmacy. It is a second skin type treatment. Works very well. Would go into more details but gotta go run.

Andy

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3M makes a product called Tegaderm. It's a clear plasitic bandage type thing that you put on a wound and can leave it there for up to a week. A doctor/cyclist friend recommened it to me. He said to clean the wound and apply a Tegaderm then after a day or two clean the wound again and apply another Tegaderm. You can leave the second one on without changing.

The wound underneath will get sort of brown and gooey. Just watch out if there is excessive drainage or a stink.

A nice thing about the Tegaderm is it holds up well in the pool. However, a problem is the pharmacies only sell the small size. If you've already got road rash it's probably too late to order the larger size needed to cover the large wound usually associated with biting some pavement.

Good luck!

Mike

=====================================
It's ALL about the bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a product called "Brave Soldier" and it was even better than NeoSporin! Very good and fast healing, without a scar. Also, their website lists a lot of good information as to how to heal such wounds. Seems it's very important to keep it moist, and not scab. Go to the site to see more. Good luck.....welcome to the club!

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: miracle cures for road rash? [asd99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My tricep is pretty well covered - from armpit to about 2 inches above the elbow. It's not too terrible, though. Light rash, if you will. It's my hip that's hard to handle - about 4"x4", right on the top of the thigh bone, and it's candy apple red this morning. Smooth and round, and red all over. Unfortunately I do not shave all the way to the waist, so there's some hair there too.

How well does Tegaderm stick to hair? And how big is size large?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sticks really good to hair. You'll find that out when you try to remove it! :) Like I said it holds up well in the pool and I should have mentioned it also holds up fine to daily showering.

They make all sorts of sizes. I'm not sure what the largest is, but it's pretty big. You'll have to ask a pharmacist or find a medical supply place. You might try a nursing home they always have some on hand to treat bedsores.

edit: The scarring is minimal if you use Tegaderm and it heals about twice as fast as if you let it scab over.

=====================================
It's ALL about the bike!
Last edited by: asd99: Oct 23, 05 8:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recieved some major road rash of my own two months ago.. My best advice is to keep up with the neosporin ( the expensive stuff ). Keep the rash wet\gooey with the neosporin and covered with good clean non stick pads.. if you let it dry up the rash will stick to the bandage and you will continue to pull off any healing that has happened. During hot showers you can pat the rash lightly to further clean it.

I have an ugly scar now on my hip and elbow but it seems to be slowly fading as time goes on.

Good luck.. it will go away. Becareful riding now, you don't want to double up on a rash.
Quote Reply
Re: miracle cures for road rash? [asd99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto the Tegaderm. Works great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xeroform. It's a medicated dressing that you don't remove until the wound underneath has healed. Plastic surgeons recommend it highly as the best way to treat road rash. You want to see a doctor to have it applied. After a few days, you can shower. As the wound heals underneath the Xeroform disconnects around the edges and you slowly clip away at it. The patch of Xeroform gets smaller and smaller until the wound is finally healed and it's gone. With other dressings that you have to remove and replace you keep peeling the scab off. With this you don't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Time. It's the greatest miracle healing of all.

I had a bottom bracket spindle break on my last year and dump me on the road. It was the height of the summer and also in the midst of my largest bike volume of the year. I just kept it clean and kept on riding. In fact, I rode three or four hours the next day. The only downside is a ridiculous tan/scar. It still have big, dark patches of purple on that side of my body. It just comes with the territory.

Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The gel burn dressings work well. I just scrub the thing clean, apply Polysporin and cover with a gauze. I peel it and recover every day or two.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply