Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Armed Cyclist Association [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:
I don't like painting with a broad brush, but the triathlon crowd is generally speaking not very good at listening.

I don't think this is a triathlon thing but the general direction of society. We've become extraordinarily self centered. Everywhere I go I see cars parked in places they aren't supposed to be and obviously because "Well this is easier...screw everyone else". We have three or four people at my kids school that park at the end of the parking lane, in the drive, every day, because they don't want to have to walk so far. This despite having drop off lanes, which they don't want to use because they want to walk into the school with their kid.

I was at tree farm this weekend to get our Christmas tree. People parked all over hell in the middle of drives making it impossible to get in and out of lots turning entrances and exist into single lane rather then doubles...because looking for a spot further away is "Just to hard" and there were plenty of spots.

I could go on but yes, it is worse when you're in a fringe group like triathletes that society can look at and marginalize or broad brush.

~Matt

+1.
Quote Reply
Re: Armed Cyclist Association [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Depends where in Texas. El Paso is pretty accommodating to cyclists. Of course the traffic there is nowhere near as bad as places like Austin, Dallas, or Houston.

I have ridden all over TX and as soon as you get to a rural riding spot the rednecks treat you the same as a dear... ya know, it's better to speed up when you hit them so that they fly over the windshield instead of coming through the windshield b/c that might injure the vehicle's operator.
Quote Reply
Re: Armed Cyclist Association [xsive] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep MJuric is spot on with that comment...I find most people, in every day situations, to be vastly inconsiderate. It starts with little things like saying hello, please, thank you, not talking during movies, not cutting people off while driving and on and on...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not many rednecks in El Paso. A very nice area for cycling...even has mountains.
Quote Reply
Re: Armed Cyclist Association [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carrying a gun while cycling will help all this, right? :)

The only time it would help is if the person you held up for a couple seconds suddenly decides he doesn't have to get anywhere, pulls off to the side of the road, gets out of his car and comes at you....then shoot him in the face. Other then that, you're best off doing a couple things. First, obey the laws. Second, bike places that are appropriate and where you're not a nuisance if at all possible. Third, let it roll off your back like water.

In ever other case you're on a bike that weighs less then a single car tire wearing a helmet that is meant to protect from impact...not meant to hold up a car that is currently parked on your chest.

People are impatient assholes that are inconsiderate and often times irrational, but very rarely homicidal maniacs. Staying away from cars is the best course of action, doing everything you can to not piss off the metal beasts when you are around them is the next best thing.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about two cyclists shooting each other because one couldn't ride straight, or one was drafting?

Bicycling jousting with guns? "Come at me bro!"

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Third, let it roll off your back like water.

Generally speaking it's the real hot-heads, ready to boil over at the slightest provocation that are the biggest problem. I find these guys ( and yes they do tend to be mostly men), seem to live in a world that wants confrontation. They invite it into their world with many things that they do. Ergo - giving them the finger back or being openly hostile to motorists like this is giving them exactly what they want. The friendly wave, I find actually confuses them and infuriates them more!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:
There ya go. Also you seem to equate "for protection" with "Well that person was mean to me and I'm not going to let that happen again". Another nice leap.

I was placing an amount on what I tend to see and experience. That is not a "Broad brush" it is what I tend to believe. I did not say "everyone" or apply it to ALL gun owners. I applied to a specific group, which I personally believe to be a large percentage of gun owners. I also used very specific reason and detail describing both groups, again, not broad brush.

The only part I would change would be "The fact" as for the most part it is simply my experience, which is opinion, not fact.

Also you seem to equate "for protection" with "Well that person was mean to me and I'm not going to let that happen again". Another nice leap.

In my experience the people that go out and buy guns do so largely out of fear. "For protection" is in quotes because when it becomes an offensive device rather then warding off an attack, it's no longer protection. If someone throws a can at you on the bike and then you escalate to the point that you now need protection you have in essence artificially created a situation where a gun is necessary for the sole reason you couldn't just let it go. That's not needing protection, that's engaging in a fight and using a gun to end it.

~Matt

Or if you're getting raped, you should pee on them or tell them you're menstruating... That works too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:
My point was more that this type of danger tends to get overblown as 'a menace to society' type issue.

I'm really not sure how else to put it. If you're tooling around town disobeying the road laws, causing others to react to you and disrupting traffic, you're a menace to society. The fact that it's "Not that big of a menace" and "Most of the danger is placed on the person being the menace", doesn't really change anything. IF one biker purposefully flies thru a stop light and makes one drive slam on their brakes they are being a menace to society. You may think it's no big deal or not that big of a menace and that may or may not be true, but they are definitely a menace and people see them that way.

The primary danger is to the cyclist himself, not the car owner, and the perception of the safety posed by the cyclist is vastly overblown compared to the real danger posed by the cyclist.

Putting yourself in danger makes you stupid, putting others in danger, purposefully, no matter how little, makes you a menace.

I'd take a red light running, traffic darting cyclist over a drunk or distracted/texting driver any day of the week. At least the cyclist isn't surrounded by 2 tons of vehicle.

We put drunk drivers in jail for being repeat offenders and nearly all of society looks down with scorn at drunk drivers. To the contrary there's a decent portion of cyclists that not only accept a red light running, traffic darting cyclist, but many see no problem with it and think they should have the right to do so. You see the problem with that don't you? How many cyclist do you know that go on a ride and you know before you start they will run lights, dart in traffic and ignore a plethora of road laws? How many drivers do you know that you know in advance will be driving drunk later?

It's really simple, obey the law and don't be a douche nozzle and drivers of those 2 ton vehicles are less likely to see you as a pain in the ass that shouldn't be on the road.

~Matt

I wholeheartedly agree on the "don't break the law" and others won't view you negatively part. No matter the starting point, the aim is to scale down conflict. And obviously makes sense on personal safety issue. (I'd like to keep riding, therefore don't blow through a red or otherwise put myself in danger)

My bringing up drunk/distracted drivers was to compare the relative safety (menace, if you will) of the two extreme examples. Perhaps it was a bad example. My point was argue that even at their worst - cyclists are still less of a menace than the equivalent car douche nozzle, if for only other reason that there's a 2 ton automobile involved. Even the safest of us cyclists run stop signs when no one is around, etc. but on the more benign examples we can compare this to a slightly speeding or a rolling stop - car drivers know they will break the law too when they get in a car, too.

My point was that because we're so car-centric a society, we tend to underestimate the dangers of the established norm. Many of us have a fear of flying, yet its the drive on the way to the airport which is more likely to kill us. By the same token, we focus on the cyclist breaking traffic laws and causing people to slam on their brakes, than we do the granny who shouldn't really be driving. Yes, there's an intent to break the law (I'm not minimizing this) - but there's also the raw risk that driving itself poses which we tend to forget. We don't worry about the small chance of killing someone when we step behind the wheel, but it's the guy in spandex we worry about running around terrorizing everyone.

ETA: I'm not trying to say that the douche nozzle cyclist isn't a menace, just that like a lot of things, the menace part is overblown relative to its true danger. The result are drivers saying that they'll run over (otherwise innocent) cyclists because of a fairly practical 3 ft law.
Last edited by: timbasile: Dec 1, 15 9:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Not many rednecks in El Paso. A very nice area for cycling...even has mountains.

Just because they are not white does not mean that they are not rednecks that devalue the life of a cyclist. I haven't mountain biked El Paso, but I hear that it can be good. Maybe I need to give it another look...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are very very few rednecks. And there are some white folks. For the record, I lived there over 10 years so I know the area very well, and SE New Mexico.
Pretty much as safe as it gets these days on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Armed Cyclist Association [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My bringing up drunk/distracted drivers was to compare the relative safety (menace, if you will) of the two extreme examples. Perhaps it was a bad example. My point was argue that even at their worst - cyclists are still less of a menace than the equivalent car douche nozzle, if for only other reason that there's a 2 ton automobile involved.

I think you're belittling the possibility of danger by causing another driver to react and end up killing themselves. I would agree that the cyclist posts much less of a possibility to DIRECTLY cause harm to a car or person in a car, but a drunk driver and cyclist hold the exact same power to cause a secondary accident that both have equal possibility of being fatal.

Drunk driver goes thru a stop light, driver swerves into oncoming traffic, everyone dies in head on collision. Cyclist blows thru a stop light, driver swerves into incoming traffic, everyone dies in head on collision.

Even the safest of us cyclists run stop signs when no one is around, etc.

And this is the point I'm making. No, the "Safest" cyclists DON'T run stop signs when no one is around. However the cycling community simply accepts this as normal. When was the last time you heard a bunch of drivers claim "Hey even the safest drivers run stop signs when no one is around"?

but on the more benign examples we can compare this to a slightly speeding or a rolling stop - car drivers know they will break the law too when they get in a car, too.

Uhhh, no. Going thru a stop sign on a bike at 15-25 MPH is not "Rolling" thru a stop sign in car at 5 or less MPH.

My point was that because we're so car-centric a society, we tend to underestimate the dangers of the established norm.

I don't think anyone driving a car is saying "Hey blowing thru stop lights, stop signs, swerving into traffic and general bad driving is just fine", no one, well a few really big jack asses maybe and everyone is calling them that. By comparison there is a significant portion of the cyclist community that not only says "Hey blow stop signs, ignore stop lights, take up entire lanes, slow traffic and cycle like an idiot because we have the same rights as a car" but many that applaud such behavior and do it regularly.

VERY few people are underestimating the dangers of driving a car and that is exactly why dangerous driving is almost universally frowned upon by drivers. The problem I'm pointing out is that the cycling community DOESN'T universally frown upon dangerous cycling and they sit around and make up excuses for why "It's necessary" and "It's not dangerous to anyone but us".

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: Armed Cyclist Association [ronniewo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride with my gun all the time. I have bike jerseys that say "armed cyclist" with a big picture of a gun on it.

I wear a safe packer holster with a police utility belt. Outside of Florida I always open carry. I loop my utility belt through the notches on a level 3 holster
Quote Reply
Re: Armed Cyclist Association [Juniio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because the world needs more of this

DFL > DNF > DNS
Last edited by: SallyShortyPnts: Dec 23, 18 19:56
Quote Reply
Re: Armed Cyclist Association [Juniio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Armed Cyclist Association [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well. What's the problem? If he's legal, I'd argue good for him. It isn't preventing him from getting mowed down by a dumb ass motorist but they'd better hope they don't miss. A good gun is a good deterrent. The world (or at least the USA) may need a little more of that.
Quote Reply
Re: Armed Cyclist Association [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where do you find some of this stuff - or at least what are you key search terms? lol

The Trek Sybian. Wouldn't it ride better with oval wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: Armed Cyclist Association [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
I guess Florida just passed a 3 foot rule and people are pissed. They don't think cyclist should be on the road let alone have three feet. Despite efforts to educate the public on cyclist rights, the bad apples only reinforce to some people that cyclist do not belong on the road period. And they suggest that harming cyclist or even running them over is ok. So maybe it is time for an armed cyclist association.

The purpose of this organization would be three fold. To educate the public on the rights of cyclist, to train cyclist how to conceal and shoot a gun after physical activity, and serve as a deterrent to drivers who would do harm to cyclist. It could even sponsor an event that involves competitive shooting after a 10 mile ride to enhance the skill of riding after aerobic activity.

WHat do you guys think?

We have lots of veterans nearby due to having both Bragg and other bases in state.

Quite a few of those folks ride road.

I’d get a few of them onboard. I don’t think intentionally harming a vet would go over too well.

Tbh, pretty sure a few folks I have ridden with carry while on the bike.

What’s funny is that this often a problem among the crowd that voted for “law and order” and “pro birth”.
Quote Reply

Prev Next