Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Enve 3.4 Melted Wheels [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
trail wrote:
I never understand why anyone buys carbon clinchers. Ever.

If you don't ride in mountains, they are perfectly fine. Unless it rains.... I wouldn't trade my 808/Super 9 for aluminum rims.

15' minute descent? Ya, I've never ridden one of those. Maybe a 5' descents in Pennsylvania and Southern Ohio. Yes if I was in the mountains, I'm not sure I'd ride carbon clinchers either. A good box rim.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 3.4 Melted Wheels [manzso] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 3.4 Melted Wheels [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
BryanD wrote:
trail wrote:

If you don't ride in mountains, they are perfectly fine. Unless it rains.... I wouldn't trade my 808/Super 9 for aluminum rims.

15' minute descent? Ya, I've never ridden one of those. Maybe a 5' descents in Pennsylvania and Southern Ohio. Yes if I was in the mountains, I'm not sure I'd ride carbon clinchers either. A good box rim.
My longest is about 40mins from 2200m to sea level descending the entire time.
However I would have thought the wheel temps would reach equilibrium after a couple of minutes. Do they continue heating up over longer periods or has anyone done proper testing?
Think I'll stick to my plan to get a set of alloy/carbon hybrid Swiss Side Hadrons.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 3.4 Melted Wheels [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why would they reach equillibrium? application of the brakes adds friction. friction = heat. carbon is a poor conductor of heat, ergo, heat dissapation around the rim is slow, and concentrated at the brake track. if you are braking often - i.e. dragging brakes, then heat added > heat dissapated and temeprature rises.

the correct technique is to hold off the braking, sit up and use aero to brake yourself. brake harder, but for shorter periods of time to set yourself up for corners.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 3.4 Melted Wheels [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen Enve 3.4 wheels delaminate in less than 30 days of use. Enve did replace them but I would not trust them. Metal brake track wheels have no disadvantages. Dura Ace is a good example. Why compromise?
Last edited by: NealH: Nov 16, 15 2:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davidalone wrote:
why would they reach equillibrium? application of the brakes adds friction. friction = heat. carbon is a poor conductor of heat, ergo, heat dissapation around the rim is slow, and concentrated at the brake track. if you are braking often - i.e. dragging brakes, then heat added > heat dissapated and temeprature rises.

the correct technique is to hold off the braking, sit up and use aero to brake yourself. brake harder, but for shorter periods of time to set yourself up for corners.
They will reach equilibrium.
The question is at what temperature (and how long does it take to get there under a given set of circumstances).
Thus my question. I would have thought (based on zero objective quantifiable data) that if conditions were fairly consistent, i.e. switchbacks at regular intervals or dragging brakes in the same way throughout the descent, any issue would be likely to reveal itself in the first few minutes or not at all.
I'm not suggesting heat build up is not a problem. Yes, I understand how friction generates heat, and that carbon is a poor conductor and how slow heat dissipation results in high temperatures. What I don't know is the figures that result. Do you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can only speak to 6.7's and several times down the twisty side of Caesars Head in South Carolina and no problems whatsoever. I even grabbed them with my hand after coming to a complete stop about 2/3 of the way down and the temperature could best be described ar tepid. That being said, I am about 137 lbs so a bit of a difference although I don't know if that is a big or small one wrt breaking temps.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 3.4 Melted Wheels [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem is that real world riding conditions are rarely consistent. gradients are rarely constant, your cornering line might not be the same, It will reach equillibrium assuming NO NEW INPUTS to the system. every time you brake you are adding new energy into the system.... so you have to recalculate based on that.

just throwing out some rough numbers.
Let's assume the carbon fiber wheel is heated up uniformly and area is about 0.3m square ( assume conductivity is slow enough that you only have the brake track at the temperature, conductivity is low enough to neglect heat loss to conduction. unrealistic, but we want to see heat loss from convection, the main source of cooling.)
heat transfer coeffecient of still air relative to bike would be around 30 W/m2K
heat transfer by convection :q= hA(T1-T2)
I dont have figures for temperature of brake tracks but I've heard the maximum can reach above 100 degrees celcius. lets take that as an extreme assumption. T2= ambient temperature, lets take a hot day at 30 degrees C: 30(0.3)(100-30)=10(70)=700
if you were at the start of the descent, your q would be even lower , becasue your brake tracks would be cooler.

KE of a 78kg rider+bike at 50kph: 9984J (approx)
KE of a 78kg rider+bike at 30kph: 2500J (approx)

assuming all KE is converted to heat by braking, it takes 2220J applied via braking to the rim . lets say you brake over a 10 second period, that is
748W of work applied to the rim. so you have an extra 48J of heat being applied to the rim per second.

the problem is q is constantly changing due to varying conditions of heat of the rim. and also varying speeds. so you would never have 'consistent conditions'.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 3.4 Melted Wheels [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

They are faster

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 3.4 Melted Wheels [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

They are faster

Not from what I've seen. They are a bit lighter. There is that. I could understand a pair of carbed-out wheels for a pure climbing race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davidalone wrote:
The problem is that real world riding conditions are rarely consistent. gradients are rarely constant, your cornering line might not be the same, It will reach equillibrium assuming NO NEW INPUTS to the system. every time you brake you are adding new energy into the system.... so you have to recalculate based on that.

Let's assume the carbon fiber wheel is heated up uniformly and area is about 0.3m square ( assume conductivity is slow enough that you only have the brake track at the temperature, conductivity is low enough to neglect heat loss to conduction. unrealistic, but we want to see heat loss from convection, the main source of cooling.)
heat transfer coeffecient of still air relative to bike would be around 30 W/m2K
I dont have figures for temperature of brake tracks but I've heard the maximum can reach above 100 degrees celcius. lets take that as an extreme assumption. T2= ambient temperature, lets take a hot day at 30 degrees C: 30(0.3)(100-30)=10(70)=700
if you were at the start of the descent, your q would be even lower , becasue your brake tracks would be cooler.

assuming all KE is converted to heat by braking, it takes 2220J applied via braking to the rim . lets say you brake over a 10 second period, that is
748W of work applied to the rim. so you have an extra 48J of heat being applied to the rim per second.

the problem is q is constantly changing due to varying conditions of heat of the rim. and also varying speeds. so you would never have 'consistent conditions'.

Related to the above, here's a WKO4 chart that somebody posted recently to the WKO4 beta testers list. I don't know the exact details, but the cyclist in question is about 145 lbs and lives where there are short, steep-ish descents.

Heat-induced clincher blow-outs can happen to tandems ridden in the mountains, even with aluminum rims and good braking technique (no sane person would ride tubulars under such conditions, as the glue would readily melt). Because of this, people have marketed packets of heat-sensitive stickers that can be placed on your rims, so you have an idea of what sort of temperatures they reach. IIRC, the range went to over 200 deg C.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is why Hed doesn't make carbon clincher wheels. Better braking surface with aluminum as well - especially if it's wet.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 3.4 Melted Wheels [pritchet74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pritchet74 wrote:
This is why Hed doesn't make carbon clincher wheels. Better braking surface with aluminum as well - especially if it's wet.

I respect HED. I've ridden their wheels before. I think they make great stuff. However, they tried to prove how carbon clinchers were a bad idea by baking the rim in an oven and showing what happens to a tire. That scenario is not representative of riding carbon clinchers in the real world as the air passing over the rim would cool it down. Even Greg Kopecky who wrote the article was left wondering about why they test it that way. http://www.slowtwitch.com/...cling_base_4001.html

I've never heard of anyone melting Zipp's due the fact they have a proprietary resin from Formula 1 that resists melting. If anyone has seen a melted Zipp rim, show us.

From the article:

According to Mr. Hedtech himself, Andy Tetmeyer, the rim was finalized and passed all of their heat-related testing – but the tires didn’t. In their tests, they claimed that they couldn’t get aluminum rims to heat over about 250 degrees Fahrenheit, because of how quickly they shed heat with convective cooling. Tetmeyer told me that carbon is a more effective insulator and will retain heat much longer – resulting in rim temperatures climbing well over 400 degrees. Alternating between cool temperatures and extended periods at 450 degrees change the material’s properties and can result in tire and tube degradation.

Interestingly enough, they claim that tire failures didn’t happen during steep descents, but rather at the next stop sign after a descent, when most of the convective cooling has stopped. My personal guess is that this type of failure is most likely in a worst case scenario – heavy rider, big descent, and dragging on the brakes. Hed told us that it’s a risk they aren’t willing to take.

To prove it to me, Hed brought out an aluminum test wheel that had been placed in an oven and repeatedly tested at temperatures they see on the road with carbon clinchers – the yellow residue is burnt on from a clincher tire bead:

I’m not playing judge and jury on the ever-present carbon clincher debate, but this certainly piqued my journalistic interest. No other wheel manufacturers seem to be saying the same thing, at least that I’ve heard. Could blowouts be happening and get blamed on a bum tire – when it is actually due to the carbon rim? Do certain designs or rim laminates retain more heat than others? How many hot/cold cycles does it take to break down a tire and tube? I don’t know, but I can say that this topic surely deserves continued investigation.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Nov 16, 15 8:53
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 3.4 Melted Wheels [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I’m not playing judge and jury on the ever-present carbon clincher debate, but this certainly piqued my journalistic interest. No other wheel manufacturers seem to be saying the same thing, at least that I’ve heard.

The other manufacturers are so busy selling carbon clinchers to Freds that they don't have time to examine whether they make sense.
Last edited by: Arch Stanton: Nov 16, 15 9:14
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 3.4 Melted Wheels [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think companies are going to risk lawsuits and rider's getting seriously injured or killed over selling rims.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 3.4 Melted Wheels [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
I've seen Enve 3.4 wheels delaminate in less than 30 days of use. Enve did replace them but I would not trust them. Metal brake track wheels have no disadvantages. Dura Ace is a good example. Why compromise?

I have a couple of sets of Enve CCs. I took my Enve Smart System 8.9s to Powerman Zofingen in 2014 and had no issues descending the Bodenberg 3 times. So I figured they were good and used the same wheels at Zell Am See this summer. This time, however, I picked up a small heat deformation in the front wheel (about a 1/4 inch warp on one side) from the long descent...although I suspect it occurred during the initial technical downhill portion. I weigh 152 lbs and was hard on the brakes going into some of those corners. Others were not so lucky and had melted rims. The deformation caused a noticeable minor thump-thump-thump when braking afterwards, but fortunately, there wasn't much braking after we came out of the mountains.

Enve has a 5 year warranty and the wheel has been replaced...so their customer service is outstanding on that respect. Coincidentally, I ordered a new road bike right before I left for Austria. I specified Dura Ace C35 wheels for that bike simply because I hope to use them for some long Alpine descents in the future. The Enve wheels are great for anything I've raced in the U.S., but yes, I've gone back to aluminum rims for future mountain events.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 3.4 Melted Wheels [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of the old EDGE 45 clinchers and the front developed a "sticky spot" while braking. Descending Page Mill (https://www.strava.com/segments/613931) caused a failure that looked just like the OP's. Luckily for me, no blown tire either.

The wheels were definitely over 5 years old, I bought them used on the ST Classifieds, and Enve replaced the rim and rebuilt the wheel. Total cost to me was $24 for shipping. Pretty amazing.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davidalone wrote:

I mentioned consistent conditions, not because they're likely to occur, but as a hypothetical to explain my previous comment regarding reaching equilibrium. Apparently I'm being confusing today!
Essentially as I read it from some earlier posts, it was suggested that longer descents were more likely to cause damage to a rim. My initial thought was that it's unlikely that there would be a cumulative temperature rise over a long period. Without having done any calculations or checked any testing that might be documented, my feeling was that repeated braking over an extended period would likely either cause failure within a few minutes or not cause failure at all since at some point the surface temperature would become critically high or the heat being added would equal the heat being dissipated and the temperature gradient throughout the rim would stabilise. If correct this would mean a longer descent only increased the risk of failure because there were more opportunities for a peak in temperature due to braking patterns and/or coinciding disturbance rather than an ever increasing thermal issue. This may or may not be accurate, I do not claim to have the answer, thus my query.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a reminder that what's normal to one person isn't normal to another. I remember at a race a little while back I caught two guys from a ways back on a downhill and there was a stink of brake pads in the air. I couldn't believe how much they were on their brakes. And this was a race, so I assume they were trying to go fast and not use their brakes. It was technical but it seemed like they were on them almost constantly.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 3.4 Melted Wheels [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
I have a pair of the old EDGE 45 clinchers and the front developed a "sticky spot" while braking. Descending Page Mill (https://www.strava.com/segments/613931) caused a failure that looked just like the OP's. Luckily for me, no blown tire either.

The wheels were definitely over 5 years old, I bought them used on the ST Classifieds, and Enve replaced the rim and rebuilt the wheel. Total cost to me was $24 for shipping. Pretty amazing.

I have the same wheels under the ENVE label - a 45 front and 65 rear. They were the first pair of ENVEs I bought and my everyday trainers although still great for racing. However, they don't brake as well as the System 8.9s which I use for most races. Fortunately, my front rim didn't totally fail in Austria, just deformed very slightly. I didn't even notice during the rest of the race as I didn't need to brake much after the descent, but my LBS pointed it out to me when the bike came back from TBT. I bought the wheels from Wheelbuilder, sent it back to them, and ENVE covered the new rims and rebuild. Like you, my only out of pocket was a paltry expense for shipping. I don't recall exactly, but the wheels are 2+ years old. They do stand by their warranty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is important w carbon rims to give the braking surface a good cleaning every few weeks as the buildup of dirt etc limits heat dissipation. Acetone works well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious how the Enve wheels match up to other US based manufactures, I found a few solid reviews, https://thetriathletehub.com/enve-wheels/ and it seems like they carry just about every size. However, for the price could pretty much get anything like Zipps or Hed. Just looking to see if they match up or are even better than the rest. thanks.

Go where you feel most alive. |TriHub
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 3.4 Melted Wheels [Alphatri36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Enve 7.8s are the fastest wheels out there, but HED Jet Black 6+ is almost as fast with better braking and a much lower price. If you are using rim brakes then HED is probably the best overall performer with better value. If outright speed is all that matters, then the Enve 7.8s are the way to go. I'm keeping my 8.9s though. They are lightning fast and have built in G3 Powertap.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...-jet-6-black-review/
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 3.4 Melted Wheels [Alphatri36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alphatri36 wrote:
Curious how the Enve wheels match up to other US based manufactures
ENVE wheels are the fastest, bar none. This is based on several independent wind tunnel tests at various yaw angles.
Quote Reply

Prev Next