Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pedal Problems
Quote | Reply
I've been riding on Look pedals since the late 80's, and been comfortable enough with them to not stray with another pedal company. Now I'm riding routes with a lot of hills, hills with stoplights in the middle. Big hills, where I have to stop in the middle of a hard effort. I'm not as flexible as I used to be and I'm not clicking out as quickly or as smoothly as I did when I rode mostly flats. In the last few weeks I've cleat crashed more than I have in the last 15 years, and it's scaring the $hit out of me.

Is there another pedal that's quicker/easier in and out? I've looked at Speedplays, but my god, that's a tiny platform.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal Problems [k2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I switched from Look pedals to Speedplays two years ago and couldn't be happier. The 'tiny platform' has never been an issue, and they are much easier to clip back into.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smartasscoach recommended the Time RXS to me, and I couldn't be happier so far. I've put limited miles on it, but it's a very stable platform, cleat adjustability is great, and best of all, they were $70 +SH on Ebay (about $100 regular). I read a report in Tour (large German bike mag), and they essentially couldn't tell the difference between the RXS and the more expensive model. May want to do a thread search on the pedal and see what other people have to say.

I also looked at the road eggbeaters and they looked great. My wife has the 1st generation Speedplay lollipops and they're a little slippery to walk on, but she likes them otherwise.

Also, I've only heard good things about the Shimano Ultegra pedal, fwiw.

Josef

Josef
-------
blog
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal Problems [JoB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride a pair of RXS pedals (just switched from LOOK A3.1), and they are fantastic... but I think they are a little trickier to get in and out of than LOOK pedals. Once in them, though, they feel really solid, I like their float a lot better than LOOK's, and there's no annoying shoe-on-pedal creak. It's a lot less likely to make noise in general because the cleat-pedal interface is metal, and that also means the cleat will last longer.

I race duathlons and like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you pick speedplay you have to be very diligent about cleaning and then not walking in them, several riders in our group have had problems staying clipped in, nothing like watching one leg fly off of the pedal right in front of you. (yes they are experienced riders, they did not go down)

I have both the Ultegra and Dura Ace SPD road pedals and have clipped into several other friends bikes, the Dura ace on has always been super easy and the ultegra pedals take some effort, both clipping in and out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Want something totally different? Try Side MOunt Pedals.'
The exit is totally different. The entry is a step in. The 'cleat' which is really the pedal, is attached to your shoe. The 'pedal' is a knob with the bearings in it. There are two variations on the exit. The 'official way' is to bring your foot to the top of the stroke, lower your heel and lift up and a little out. The 'emergency way' that the guy at the LBS showed me, is to kick up, a little outward and forward. There is no twist involved. I have them on my tri bike. I'm strongly considering putting them on my road bike. You have to start with low release tension and work your way up as you get used to them. Also, I recommend that you get on a trainer and try it a bunch of times before you hit the road. They are VERY different.

They were invented by a guy out here in Pasadena.

www.sidemountpedal.com

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal Problems [Race4LV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I'm geeked about is getting out of them on a hill. This concerns me about the speedplays because other people have told me they've popped out before. And most of the tris I do have the transition area in the middle of a field...trying to keep the cleats clean running through a pasture is tough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can run on smp's. The engagement point is not on the bottom. See the pic.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, speaking of different--I'm now using the Coombe Pro pedals, after trying every thing out there.

Here's my wife's experience: Great pedals, built by a guy who's a great designer/engineer, and horrible business man.

Give a look at the RBR reviews, and they mimick her experience exactly.

Cleats that lasted well over 20K miles!! Had to buy new ones 'cause she got new shoes. 4 unreturned e-mails later (she tried calling, but 'mailbox was full!?), she gave up and found some (used) on Ebay.

The pedals themselves have 40K miles or so!?! with no trouble, which I think is ridiculous! Of course, they better last, because I'm not sure she can even get another pair....

Entry and exit is super-easy, and the float is adjustable in terms of feel.

I was suspicious of these all along. I've tried them and they really seem to solve most all of the problems with pedals. Low stack height, big platform (the cleat, which is big and steel, provides the platform), easy in and out. Getting in was at first a little tricky, but after a week is super-easy.

I saw someone on here had a bad experience with them, but I have to say I think they totally rock--which is a shame, because, as a company, they absolutely suck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the RXS. I went from Look to Speedplay, then Speedplay to Time. I couldn't be happier...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal Problems [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a very, very interesting pedal. a few questions immediately come to mind:

if you are using them, how would you evaluate the pedaling feel and the improved efficiency (if you can notice any)?

and what would you say about the overall effective shoe-to-shoe Q-factor, does it increase using these pedals, vs. typical look or shimano pedals?

would you recommend these pedals to other triathletes or road riders?

do you now feel totally safe clipping in and clipping out?

if you leave your shoes on in transition, do the shoes drag on the ground real bad, or not as much?

thanks.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal Problems [Greg X] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not the best person to answer all of these questions because I'm not a bike racer, but....

I haven't raced in them yet, because my achilles tear from july 04, which is finally ready for some Olys. I have done the shoe on crank mount, but I don't do the 'Hi!Yo! silver! mount. I step on the left shoe and mount like my old bikes from childhood. No problem. In theory, they would drag less when upside-down, since the axle is just above the level of the insole. Therefore, when upside down they are higher off the ground, not lower.

The Q is considerably larger--about 2-2.5 cm I would guess. The increased Q is wierd for about about 20 minutes the first ride and less every ride after that. Now, it last about 1-2minutes. I can see that it might bother some people. I can easily spin at 120 and can get up to 170 for very brief periods, even on my Softride.

I would recommend them for tri bikes and TT bikes for sure. My only reservation about road riding with them is the extreme difference in exiting compared to Look, Speedplay, Time, etc. The odd thing is that riding my tribike more lately has caused me to experience the same thing, in reverse, for my road bike. "Oh! wait, I have to twist out....yeah, that's it." My other concern is that, until you get good at it, and can use higher release tensions, mounting going uphill could be problematic. You could end up with neither pedal engaged. Once you are used to higher tensions, this is less likely. I am really close to trying them on my road bike, now that I have been riding my tri bike more.

supposedly, if you hit your pedal on the ground in a turn (it hasn't happened to me) the pedal releases, instead of making you fall.

I talked to Steve, the inventor, who has been riding various prototypes of these for many years, and he has no problem climbing. He is a climber. A road racer I met loves them. He has no problem racing in them. He tightens the release tension more when he races and loosens it a little when street riding.

Clipping in requires me to look down to hit the right knob ('pedal'), I suppose that if I weren't using two different pedal systems, it wouldn't be a problem.

To me, and this may be a placebo effect, the pedal stroke feels like an egg with the larger end of the oval down. Other pedals feel the opposite. It feels like it hops right over the top. Steve thinks it's a placebo effect. He douobts it is real. A couple of other users I have asked said the same thing that I did. I am in a flatter back position on my tribike, since I don't feel obstructed by my chest and tight hammstrings as I come over the top. Placebo is a strong effect??????

Steve says that some racers have seen a 3-5% increase in power measurements. I don't know about that. I am riding faster, but that could be that I've been riding more since I injured my achilles. ????????

How's that for useless drivel?

Dan, when are you going to try these things?

Quote Reply
Re: Pedal Problems [Race4LV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"If you pick speedplay you have to be very diligent about cleaning and then not walking in them, several riders in our group have had problems staying clipped in, nothing like watching one leg fly off of the pedal right in front of you."

----------------------------

Are you saying that the Speedplays had unintended release in normal riding? I have had them since they very 1st came out on my road bike, tri bike, and Frogs on my mountain bike and don't believe that I have ever had that happen in 10+ years. My buddie srid ethem too with no problems.

I have not been the best about maintenance and cleaning, but do take reasonable care of them. I still ride the X1s and X2s, so I'm not sure about other models. You'd have to have a very unusual ankle movement in your pedal stroke it would seem to me to have an unintended release.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been riding Speedplay Zeros exclusively for 2 1/2 years on both my road and tri bikes, and have never even come close to popping out. You do have to occasionally clean the cleat and the pedal with some lube to make clicking in/out easier, but that's about it. As for walking in them, as long as you're not getting the completely gunked up, its not a problem. I understand that with the earlier Speedplays (the X/2s?) that could be a problem, but with the Zeros I haven't had an issue.

Spot