Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Uninspired
Quote | Reply
My goal was to race an ironman (not just finish) when I started in the sport.

I've spend a good amount of time getting 'faster'. Had a very successful season (2 podiums in 4 races).

My first ironman is set for Wisconsin next year. Yet, the idea sounds like a nuisance to me right now. I can't get excited about getting back into training (especially the hours needed for successful ironman racing).

We recently got a new puppy and I'm enjoying training her. We are also planning on buying a new house this year, in the months leading up to the race.

I'm stuck on this thought that hanging up my spurs for the time being is the right choice. I think that selling my tri bike and getting a road bike to cruise along with my wife sounds like a blast. We ran a marathon together a few weeks ago and it was a blast - the furthest thing from speedy.

Is this just post-season blues? Do others experience this?
Quote Reply
Re: Uninspired [speedy_dave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take an off-season right now. As long as you don't gain a ton of weight it will probably be the best thng you could do for your Ironmna Wisconcin prep. You will recharge yourself mentally. It is impossible to be in "ironman training" from now until next september.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what he said -

put your feet up, ride your mountain bike, go for some nice walks with the dog and the missus. come back energized in a month or two.

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

do what makes you happy, you will never benefit from training when your heart is not in it, even to the point it is wasted miles!

Sounds like you've got a great wife and chasing a dream may mean you just might miss out on some great times with your wife.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See how you feel in January. It's a bit tough to be excited about a goal 11 months away. Have fun for a few months, don't get fat and see how you feel.

You don't have to sell your tri bike to ride with your wife, but if you do, you could ride a road bike in the IM. Despite what you read here, you don't need a P3C to race IM. In my opinion, for most people, the time saved with a tri bike is irrelevant in your first IM. I was so trashed in T2 of my first IM, it took me over 10 minutes to figure out how to tie my shoes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with the others - now is the time for a break..

If you are finishing that well, based on what you said, I would suspect that you have some decent fitness/talent.

After a bit of a break shift to mainentance mode for a month or so, or do a focussed block on a weak sport or limiter.

I don't know you but for experienced folk, prepping for an IM race should be no more than a 6 month focus in my view. Thus for IMWisco next year the serious training need not start until mid March. The nice thing about the timing of the race is that as the weather get's better and better through the spring and summer, you just keep building the training - with peak training time for volume through the best weather of the year in June, July and early August.. Then taper for 2- 3 weeks and then then race.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply