Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero 'cost' of Quick Release
Quote | Reply
Is it significant? Natasha seemed to think so, and with the attention paid to the premium of a "clean" front end, this seems like going with a bolt skewer (or whatever a non-QR is) would be more popular.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero 'cost' of Quick Release [oh-so-slow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Somewhere between a mosquito fart and scratching oneself once during a ride.

She should thank GOD (would that be like talking to herself ;-) that she didn't flat.

Not that it mattered, what's another 4 min delay to her?

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Aero 'cost' of Quick Release [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you look at pics from last year, she ran without quick releases then as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cat Carbon bikes doesn't believe in QR's, not so much Natascha. Rudi will cut slots into the fork for no extra charge.

I am certain that there is quite a bit of aero consequence for QR's, but the inability to quicky change flats is why you probably won't be seeing the non-QR front wheel come into favour any time soon. Tulio Campagnolo made his company on one invention: the quick release lever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like a risk vs reward scenario. Since she didn't flat it worked out.

But as Normann showed flats do happen even to champions.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero 'cost' of Quick Release [konaby2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The more idle chatter about such picayune stuff as aero brake levers and quick releases I see, the more I roll my eyes and want to race on a round tubed steel frame. Mosquito fart indeed. Great description!
Quote Reply
Re: Aero 'cost' of Quick Release [Mookie1986] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The more idle chatter about such picayune stuff as aero brake levers and quick releases I see, the more I roll my eyes and want to race on a round tubed steel frame. Mosquito fart indeed. Great description!
If i knew what picayune meant and wasn't too lazy to look it up, I might be offended.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero 'cost' of Quick Release [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the original wine bottle cork screw!
Quote Reply
Re: Aero 'cost' of Quick Release [tri-espana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Campy's cork screw is the best.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero 'cost' of Quick Release [konaby2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Seems like a risk vs reward scenario. Since she didn't flat it worked out.

But as Normann showed flats do happen even to champions.
this is exactly what they said--it's a risk reward. hell, she didn't even have bars outside of the pads and the drinking straw thing was literally in her top tube. all of these things together probably added up to something.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero 'cost' of Quick Release [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I gotta tell you guys...

Every time I see a discussion like this, I think 'This MUST be the most inane discussion ever on this board'.

Then, invariably, you guys come back and top yourselves.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero 'cost' of Quick Release [GaryKlingerman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually it's kind of interesting in a pointless way. But if you are at the bleeding edge of performance wouldn't you be pissed if you lost by 10 seconds because you failed to take advantage of a simple $10 change? We could start the BOLT-ON REVOLUTION right here at ST! :D

(Actually I miscalculated earlier...it could possibly be as much as 10 seconds (0.05% reduction in total frontal area) over a 112 mile distance. This is at equal wattage equivalent to something like 20.0mph vs 20.01mph at a nominal 6.5lb drag. And that's just counting the front one since the back is obscured by foot drag, etc. Reid could have taken 2nd with bolton skewers!)

Mad
Last edited by: triguy42: Oct 17, 05 12:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I gotta tell you guys...

Every time I see a discussion like this, I think 'This MUST be the most inane discussion ever on this board'.

Gary, you obviously missed my chart-topper last year on how to remove bottle cage scuffmarks from water bottles.

I'm glad to be exceeding your expectations.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero 'cost' of Quick Release [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not go for greatness and use a press-fit pin, like a Shimano chain. Get rid of those non-aero nuts on either side of the fork.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have my quick releases horizontal and facing backward because it seems slightly more aero. I have seen a number of other triathletes with their quick releases horizontal but facing forward. Intuitively, it seems that my way is more resistant to mosquito fart turbulence (aka wind resistance). Is there any aero quick release expert out there who can solve this mystery?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Here's what you want. Once you have your position dialed and all the other aero goodies, wheels, disc, bars, helmet, frame, it only makes sense to go for another small detail. Nuke Proof Spin On ti Skewers. I don't know what the aero advantage is but they are way light, way slick, and way cool.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Last edited by: Sweeney: Oct 17, 05 16:00
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: mc sac: Oct 17, 05 17:01
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I gotta tell you guys...

No kidding!!!

I enjoy a lot of the threads here, but jeez...

We've got losers here begging women for naked/nearly naked pictures (hey guys, you can actually talk to LIVE women out in the real world), discussions about the bike bag on Faris' bike - NERD ALERT!, debates that go as follows: if I go 280 watts I can ride at 167bpm over a 40k TT, why can't I get my lactate threshold to maintain at 67.3% while climbing at a 5.34% grade while holding 251 watts and having my VO2 max settle at a nominal flux capacitor ratio, in relation to sea level viscosity, of course.

Man, talk about taking the fun out of sport.

Maybe I'm not cerebral enough about this sport, but that's the way I like it.
Last edited by: SlayerHatebreed: Oct 17, 05 18:48
Quote Reply
Re: Aero 'cost' of Quick Release [SlayerHatebreed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if I go 280 watts I can ride at 167bpm over a 40k TT, why can't I get my lactate threshold to maintain at 67.3% while climbing at a 5.34% grade while holding 251 watts and having my VO2 max settle at a nominal flux capacitor ratio, in relation to sea level viscosity, of course.

Its because your saddle is too high.

- Nick
Now that I know some of you guys look through the special needs bags for kicks, I'm gonna put some really weird stuff in mine. I can see it now. "What the heck was he going to do with a family pack of KFC chicken, a football helmet full of peanut butter, a 12 inch rubber dildo, and naked pictures of Bea Arthur?"
Quote Reply