Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I need a new bike, but am on a budget.. Whadda you guys suggest, (aside from getting a bigger budget)? [IronDeb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Deb,

Maybe your friend/ fitter knows of someone selling a used bike as they are getting fit for a new bike? We don't deal with used gear at the store but sometimes we make connections between people - this facilitates a new bike purchase for us and helps get someone else into the sport so it is win-win for us.

I also like Bianchi bikes and think it is probably the best one on your list especially at that price point.

good luck,

John Teeters
866-508-4676
john@triumph-multisport.com
http://www.triumph-multisport.com

Quote Reply
Re: I need a new bike, but am on a budget.. Whadda you guys suggest, (aside from getting a bigger budget)? [Sojourner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's beautiful paint. don't see alot of them either. i looked at Klein and was told that it is a harsh ride. that is why i didn't get one...

is that true? is it harsh?
Quote Reply
Re: I need a new bike, but am on a budget.. Whadda you guys suggest, (aside from getting a bigger budget)? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
that's beautiful paint. don't see alot of them either. i looked at Klein and was told that it is a harsh ride. that is why i didn't get one...

is that true? is it harsh?

It really is beautiful, ain't it? Mine is a really hot looking red-orange..errrrr...Kalahari Red.

I rode quite a bit over the past year and never felt like it was harsh unless I hit a pothole Wink I think the politically correct description is that it's stiff and responsive. Anyway, as far as I know, a bike can be made much less...ummm...stiff and responsive, with a different set of wheels or simply by airing down the tires about 10psi lower than normal.
Quote Reply
Re: I need a new bike, but am on a budget.. Whadda you guys suggest, (aside from getting a bigger budget)? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<< is that true? is it harsh? >>

That Klein's "ride harsh" is one of the biggest lies (ok, maybe misconceptions) out there. I love mine. And the paint is total eye candy, nobody does paint like Klein.

My buddy rode a Softride road bike for years, and finally wanted to upgrade to a "real" road bike. He got a Klein last season, and absolutely LOVES it, and has zero complaints about it being harsh or uncomfortable.

Climbs like a billy goat and descends like a bobsled - on rails.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: I need a new bike, but am on a budget.. Whadda you guys suggest, (aside from getting a bigger budget)? [Sojourner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that color is my favorite, and IMO, is the prettiest pain on the market. i do love my bianchi though...it's pretty paint too.
Quote Reply
Re: I need a new bike, but am on a budget.. Whadda you guys suggest, (aside from getting a bigger budget)? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. That's exactly what I'm doing - rationalizing a not-neccessarily-a-neccesity purchase. And I'd appreciate a little support! ;)

Actually, I just want a slippery new ride to improve my bike split. Train harder, you say? Nah.

Seriously, I do feel like it's time for an upgrade - and any of the bikes I'm considering would qualify. And they're all on closeout, too. So, can I? Huh? Pretty Pleeeaaassee?

And I promise I'll train harder, too. And I'll take it out every day! And I'll play with it! And I'll clean up after it! And I'll feed it!
Last edited by: IronDeb: Oct 17, 05 9:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah - they're all @ the same shop. So, I can test 'em.
Quote Reply
Re: I need a new bike, but am on a budget.. Whadda you guys suggest, (aside from getting a bigger budget)? [IronDeb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<< Yep. That's exactly what I'm doing - rationalizing a not-neccessariy-a-neccesity purchase. And I'd appreciate a little support! ;) >>

Well, I did say "not that there is anything wrong with that"

I am all about rationalizations. It's why, after a season of top 1-4% bike splits in all my races from sprint to HIM (along w/ pitiful swim splits and just eh runs), that I evaluated my situation - and decided that I "needed" a TRI bike. Cuz obviously my old roadie w/ clip-ons just wasn't getting it done.

Y'know, who wants to work on swimming and running when you can buy cool new bike stuff instead? ;-)

(I'm still not sure how I convinced my wife about all this, but she agreed. I foresee some not-necessary purchases in her near future as well....)

Go forth, IronDeb, and spend spend spend, gotta keep the economy strong!

Happy riding-

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also suggest the 2nd hand. I was also budget restricted and found myself a really nice usps Trek OCLV Carbon for less than half the price. I bought it from a guy who races for Trek/VW. 1 year used, top condition.

Contact the racing teams and clubs in your region, you might discover great deals. If you're not sure, you can always ask a shop to inspect it.

Good luck

Richard

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever" - Larry Andersen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yeah - they're all @ the same shop. So, I can test 'em.
well, that's how you'll know what to get then. hopefully you can do that soon, before someone swoops out that veloce right before you. !!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<< before someone swoops out that veloce right before you. !! >>

Yeah, it's been sitting on the shelf since '03 (which might even mean late calendar year '02) , but NOW, somebody might come in and buy it the day before you want to??

IF after the test rides you decide that the Bianchi is the bike ya want, offer the dude $200 or $250 less than he's asking. It's an '03, and the '06's are rolling in - he'll be glad to get the damn thing out the door at cost at this point I'd imagine...

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: I need a new bike, but am on a budget.. Whadda you guys suggest, (aside from getting a bigger budget)? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, Murphy's Law, I was talking about Murphy's Law. It would figure that somebody is interested in it, then suddenly so is someone else, and it's gone. That would be Murphy's Law! LOL!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of the four... the bianchi - it just looks nicer. My gf doesn't like the specialized "red" color. If you can live with your parts, I'd say go with a serotta Fierte. I have a CIII and it rides like butter. They have a wide range of available geometry, and they have the crash replacement program which I wouldn't live without (my bike is being repaired as I type this).

Someone suggested the Lemonds, I liked the look of the Croix de fer (steel, also available in a variety of geometries.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey - I don't want to buy that bike! Oh, you mean *that* Murphy's Law. I'm vaguely familiar w/ that concept... ;-)

Agreed, that would of course be what happens. An example - my wife and I (ok, mostly her, I could care less) are shopping for a bookshelf for the LR. She finds one she likes, good price, etc; we put a "hold" on it, and go up the next AM to buy it. Of COURSE somebody else came in right before we got there, and bought it, in spite of it supposedly being held for us...

IronDeb - get to the LBS ASAP!!!! Run away, run away!!!!!! That bike may already be going out the door!!! HURRY!!!! That is the one perfect bike for you, your solemate. It will complete you. It had you at 'hello' ;-)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Approval. Yay.

I did note the "Not that there's ......." comment, (Seinfeld fan?) I'm just bustin' chops! ;)

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the helpful input & suggestions ev'rybody. I really appreciate it.

Lots of options, I guess. More than I'd thought.

Dilemma. But a good one!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I'm curious, where are you located?

I'm sponsored by Specialized, i'd recomend them, aside fom getting an almost non-existent discount, i think that they have a great product line that is well priced.

The Roubaix is nice one.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AARRGGHH!!! Don't freak me out! I don't wanna get all psyched and then it'll be goooooooooone.

Just called the shop - they're checking the stcok to see if Bianchi is there.....

Now I don't feel like I have time to explore the 2nd hand market, cuz I mite miss out on Bianchi - and what if it's The One?!?

AARRGGHH!
Quote Reply
Re: I need a new bike, but am on a budget.. Whadda you guys suggest, (aside from getting a bigger budget)? [B-Dub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in NY - upstate, but close enuf to the city to shop there.

Yeah, I was interested in the Roubaix about a year ago, but just missed out on the one I wanted at the close-out sale.

'Where you at?'
Quote Reply

Prev Next