Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why no IMH love in mainstream media?
Quote | Reply
Okay, you would figure that when a half-Iraqi wins the biggest, most famous triathlon in the world, one that even non-athletes have heard of, on the same day that the Iraqi's vote on their constitution, there would be SOME mention of it in the mainstream media. Apparently not. Am I just being too naive to think that this would have been covered?
Quote Reply
Re: Why no IMH love in mainstream media? [RoadWarrior] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our local paper, the Austin American-Statesman had zero coverage of the event in the Sunday paper despite three Austinites placing in the top 65 overall and numerous others doing well in their agegroup (way to go Josh Lee).

The paper didn't even have a one paragraph highlite in the sports section or list the top 20 male/females in tiny type on the stats page. Pitiful.

http://www.austinTRIcyclist.com
http://www.Cannondale.com
Last edited by: AustinTriCyclst: Oct 16, 05 9:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been that way ever since ABC began covering the race in 1980. I once asked the powers to be why there was no coverage in the media, and I was told they try and black it out. They want the general public to think that the show is live when they show it in the winter. Something about all those frozen couch potatoes watching balmy Hawaii in winter. Apparently they get a ton of tourism whenever Hawaii is featured in the winter. People see the warm tropical island, and jump on a plane I guess. The only coverage you will normally see is the stuff that people do directly with their local media. You have to send the stuff yourself, and then it is just a story on the local boy/girl, not the race itself.

The live feed on the net was great though. I guess they figure only the hard core would watch it, and we will still watch the not so live coverage when it comes on later...
Quote Reply
Re: Why no IMH love in mainstream media? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking of, when will they show the race on TV. I look forward to it every year, but mistakenly thought that it was the same day of the race.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd guess that like the tens of other sports that people don't relate to, ironman is an extreme endurance event (9-17 hours) and not many readers relate to that so it doesn't get press time.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Why no IMH love in mainstream media? [mc sac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on the government and the person deciding what the people care about :)
Quote Reply
Re: Why no IMH love in mainstream media? [bigsky17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NBC Nov. 12 @ 4:30 EST. When you have a sport like triathlon which is not yet quite mainstream on the same day as major college football and baseball playoffs, well you can see who'll get all the press. Do they cover any of the local events? The thing I suggest is that you write your local sports editor and complain to him. Also because of the time difference it may not have finished in time for the papers deadline.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I noticed our newspaper made note of the "underpants run" but no coverage of the race itself.
Quote Reply