Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

No more looking down on Cannondales!!!
Quote | Reply
With Faris winning Hawaii aboard a Cannondale, does this mean Cannondale with be the new "Kuota" for the next year...the "bike du jour" that grabbed peoples attention because it was road to victory? Surely Kuota can boast their increase in sales to Norman's win last year.

For some reason people here like to look down on Cannondales...probably not enough of a boutique brand, regardless of their fantastic construction. Hopefully that will change now.

Way to go Faris!!!
Quote Reply
Re: No more looking down on Cannondales!!! [GearGrinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GG, Trek has won 7 Tour de Frances, 1 Tour of Italy, 1 Vuelta, and several big classics/stage races...and they get shit on here at Slowtwitch.

You think Paris El Fayed winning Hawaii on a Cannondale will change their image here?
Quote Reply
Re: No more looking down on Cannondales!!! [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who gives a sh***t what the SlowTwitch street cred is?

None of the top people rode a cervelo. Cannondale quality is very very high and it is all hand made in the USA.

Cervelo is a design house that outsource manufacuring to the far east. It is just marketing na dthe fact that they advertise in this website. The Holly Trinity: Empfield, Cervelo, Demerely.

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>You think Paris El Fayed winning Hawaii on a Cannondale will change their image here?

Well, people here tend to like what's hot at the moment, so there is definitely hope. Winning Hawaii qualifies as hot, right?

I can sort of understand the Trek thing, since what Lance rides is NOTHING like what we can buy from Trek, but these guys are basically riding OUR technology. Faris's Cannondale is a stock frame...the exact frame that we can all buy.

I can only imagine what would have happened had a Cervelo won...5 million ST'ers saying "see - we told you so!"
Last edited by: GearGrinder: Oct 15, 05 18:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, you guys are preaching to the choir, I don't ride cervelo, and I even made a little dig at TomD and others who mentioned how much faster these guys would've ridden had they been on Cervelos....

I didn't drink the Kool-Aid.

GG, for what it's worth, you wouldn't want to ride what Lance rides, which is why Trek designed a more 'tri-friendly' TTX, geometrically speaking.

(member of the 'I don't ride Cervelo' underground)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom D actually said guys would have been faster on a Cervelo?? That's ridiculous. If he (or anyone for that matter) thinks that, he (they) should be embarrassed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
(member of the 'I don't ride Cervelo' underground)

No underground here. My wife loves her P2K - great bike, great brand. I just get sick of everyone talking non-stop about Cervelo. It's like a cult!

Maybe Faris could've won on a Cervelo, Kuota, Felt, Lightspeed or other "hot" bikes, but he won on a Cannondale. Good for him, and good for them. They've supported racing at all levels for a long time, they've stuck with the sport, and they're American made. Why the animosity toward them? Maybe they'll shed a bit of their negative rap.
Quote Reply
Re: No more looking down on Cannondales!!! [davidd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
___ actually said guys would have been faster on a Cervelo?? That's ridiculous. If he (or anyone for that matter) thinks that, he (they) should be embarrassed
That's quite a blanket statement, and in no way measurable or really justifiable. It also takes away from the accomplishment of the athlete. How's this - Basso would have won on a Trek. 7 times in a row, too!
Last edited by: GearGrinder: Oct 15, 05 19:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What he said is being taken out of context...it was more playful, so everyone calm down...

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=573175;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't wait for some idiot to post that his old CAAD2 cannondale was a harsh ride and that they will never ride a cannondale or for that matter an aluminum bike again.

Just for the record one good think about cannondales is that a least you can get one when you want instead of waiting for some vaporware to appear 2 months past its scheduled date.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Cannondales. Absolutely nothing wrong.

My only problem with them is that they did the "me too" carbon model. Their engineering is so much better than doing an outsourced, copy cat carbon bike.

Yes, I am the guy who loves carbon, but Cannondale is all about the aluminum, and they still do it better (even if their aero stuff is as aero as a Mack truck) than anyone else. Their engineering expertise and testing accumen made the Kestrel EMS fork better, for example. I see no reason why their bike would not be pushed to victory by a gifted and well-trained rider, despite it's aerodynamics. It happened today.

I do believe that in all of my postings, my only problem with Cannondale is that their aero bikes are not all that aero. I have always thought that they should stick to big, fat, stiff tubes, even on a tri bike.

I hope that maybe the end of Frankenbike is to come very, very soon. Frankenbikes have not won the TdF, and certainly not Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: No more looking down on Cannondales!!! [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I have to disagree with that.

Cannondale's construction and quality is awesome but it results in the most uncomfortable bike I have ever ridden. And before you asked it the fit was not even an issue.
Quote Reply
Re: No more looking down on Cannondales!!! [KingK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forgot the disclaimer: your results may vary. A bike like a C'dale may not be for everyone, and I could see it not being for a small rider (most smaller riders I know hated the ride of a C'dale). I have no idea of your size, but it wasn't your bike for some reason. That's cool. I am not that big of a fan of Hed 3s, myself, but it doesn't make them a bad wheel, just not my wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

My only problem with them is that they did the "me too" carbon model. Their engineering is so much better than doing an outsourced, copy cat carbon bike.

Carbon? No, no...they're tri frames are all aluminum - even the pro bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was talking about their new carbon road model that seems to be on the mid end, and I don't recall any of their pros using it.

I saw it in a shop, and yawned.
Last edited by: bunnyman: Oct 15, 05 20:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No need for carbon when their aluminum frames are that good. Can you say stiff yet comfortable?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ride is not for everyone, but I liked my Cannondale. It was just a wee bit too big for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Why the animosity toward them? Maybe they'll shed a bit of their negative rap.[/reply]

Probably because of earlier retarded statements about the "aeroness" of their big tubes. The downtube looks aero to the wind! LMFAO. I rode a 1986 Cannondale until last year, when I practically cracked the bottom bracket off the bike...firsthand experience with aluminum fatigue. I gained about 1mph going from that to a Frankenbike BP Stealth. Only problem there is it's a little horizontally flexy.

Mad
Quote Reply
Re: No more looking down on Cannondales!!! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't get excited at all about Cannondale's triathlon offerings. However, it does hearten me that Faris rode an aluminium bike on his way to the victory. Not that it needs proving, but some people could use a reminder that carbon fiber is not inherently "fast" or "comfortable." Like any material, it's what you do with it that matters.
Quote Reply
Re: No more looking down on Cannondales!!! [Mookie1986] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, hardly anybody's triathlon offerings make me cream my jeans these days. A round-tubed C'dale tri bike would be something to behold once again. Only if my back could do C'dales again...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing that until cannondale makes something that rides a little smoother, they wont be the new Kuota.

I think that cannondales are great quality bikes. I've given them a fair shake on my last three bike purchases (Specialized, Litespeed, Cervelo). I'd love to own some more made in america stuff. Litespeed filled the bill last time. The CAAD shaped chainstays can only go so far. Maybe they will put some of the 6/13 carbon in a TT bike and that will help. Maybee a Synapse TT bike. Cannondale used to cary a slight premium on the price that put the competitors ahead. Maybe Faris' win plus some innovation will help Cannondale out.

Cannondale has been a pain in my ass for years. Ha Ha Ha.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With Faris winning Hawaii aboard a Cannondale, does this mean Cannondale with be the new "Kuota" for the next year...the "bike du jour" that grabbed peoples attention because it was road to victory? Surely Kuota can boast their increase in sales to Norman's win last year.

==============================================================================

As is the case with all generalisations, they can be inaccurate. Both I & UKGearMuncher ordered our Kaliburs in June 2004 when Normann was still riding Look frames, we decided upon the model based on fit, geometry and performance. Not all Kuotas were bought on the back of his victory last year.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: No more looking down on Cannondales!!! [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I am sure there are those who bought a Kuota before Stadler's win, I am more sure that many more people bought the bike because of his win.

http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=12348&sidebar=640

http://insidetri.com/news/fea/3012.0.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no love here for Cdale. too stiff and old school. they do nothing for me!!!
Quote Reply
Re: No more looking down on Cannondales!!! [therascal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I am sure there are those who bought a Kuota before Stadler's win, I am more sure that many more people bought the bike because of his win.

===============================================================================

I'm sure there are, but that wasn't disputed. Kuota was a recognised brand in the UK prior to Koona 2004. The links you posted were both US based articles and therefore not representative of a world view.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply