Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Age Group Worlds: Bike vs. Auto
Quote | Reply
Scroll down to the bottom:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/.../op/FP510130341.html

I was driving down Kal hwy probably about a minute after that happened and saw the rider on the floor, ambulance came pretty soon afterwards. The writer makes a valid point on the police officers assigned to the event, but of course takes no personal responsibility for the operation of her vehicle. At what "mind-boggling" speed could the triathlete have been going, 20-25 mph? The driver either had to 1. get stuck in the intersection or 2. pull that left turn right in front of the oncoming cyclist. Even if the cop told her to go, the cyclist must have been apparent for case #2.

Anyone know who that triathlete was?
Quote Reply
Re: Age Group Worlds: Bike vs. Auto [as2k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know who the triathlete was, but I passed her while she was still down. We were riding with a tailwind on that portion of the race and I was comfortably reaching 30MPH. I also had a police officer wave a left-turning car right into my path, which I was able to avoid by a few inches. I have a feeling that the officers in charge of the traffic control weren't able to accurately judge the speed of the cyclists vs. how quickly they anticipated cars being able to negotiate the turn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Anyone know who that triathlete was? "

Yup. Her name is Laurie and she was there with her husband Richard who had also qualified. They are both from the Kingston, Ontario area and are regular participants in local area tris. Some of the details are on this local area forum under the posts by "Laurie and Richard". She and her husband are very nice people. Sad it happened and wishing that all will be well.

http://www.kingstonmultisport.com/...&act=SF&f=10
Quote Reply
Re: Age Group Worlds: Bike vs. Auto [stevej1331] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just read some of the posts made recently by Richard & Laurie over in Hawaii. She broke her pelvis and is stuck in a hospital over there. Apparently they can't get off the island to fly home because no airlines can transport her while lying flat, as she must. Is there anybody out there knowledgeable in airline transport with suggestions for this problem to help a fellow triathlete? If nothing else, the additional hotel must be killing their budget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i almost had the same fate. Missed a car by inches as it pulled out in front of me from being waved on by a cop. That's terrible, but the real shame lies in that it was inches from being atleast two more people in her spot as well

Eric
Quote Reply