Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Louisville, KY trip. What you got? [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
bluemonkeytri wrote:
Where r u staying?

I'm staying in Downtown Louisville. I'm flying solo so just looking for a good bar with good food. Nothing fancy. I'll probably watch some of the NCAA games there.

Downtown, there is Against the Grain Brewery, its in the baseball stadium on Main Street. Food good, beer really good.

Around the Yum Center, which is at Second and Main, there is Down One Bourbon Bar (really good food too), SideBar Burgers, and a bunch of stuff on Whiskey Row. Also, behind the Yum Center is Troll Bar, good bar food.

Both you and JSA, if looking for a really good dinner, go to Mayan Cafe on Market Street in NuLu (about 10 blocks east of the epicenter of downtown). Also the Garage Bar, which specializes in wood fire pizzas with country ham and oysters (https://www.garageonmarket.com/). Alot of options in NuLu.

Bardstown Road and Frankfort Ave are both full of bars/shopping/restaurants, and are just a few miles from downtown.

So, back from my trip to Louisville. Thanks for the recommendations. Here is my impression of L'Ville:

- Smaller than I thought it would be. It seems like a college town, which is not a bad thing.
- I didn't know it is basically 1 mile from Indiana so naturally I had to drive to Indiana to cross it off my States list.
- Downtown seems to be re-vitalizing with old brick buildings becoming nice bars and eateries.
- It would be fun to come in the Spring with my sons and check out the Louisville Slugger museum and Muhammad Ali Center.
- It seems to be a cross between a northern mid-west city and a southern city.
- Churchill Downs is NOT what I expected. Its in the middle of the city. I expected it to be outside the city surrounded by horse farms.
- Bourbon theme is not overblown. Its in a lot of places but not overly marketed. Bartenders seem to know their bourbon and were not afraid to give me free tastes. I also had some good beer from Fall City.
- Unfortunately I didn't get out of the city.
- Sports radio when I was listening was all about college sports. Sports radio was talking about high school recruits for basketball for an hour.

I ended up going to Wildgameburger, Doc Crows and SideBar for food. I was very happy with all three.
Quote Reply
Re: Louisville, KY trip. What you got? [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Falls City beer good, but there are a lot better breweries around.

Game is one of our favorite places.

You are right about college sports town, Louisville is highest ratings for NCAA tourney than any other city for about a decade running now.

Churchill Downs in a bad part of town. If you come in the spring and want to see your expectations come to life, then drive an hour east to Lexington and go to Keeneland.

I picked up a bottle of Weller at our neighborhood wine/spirits store on Friday, $33. It's good to be in Bourbon Country.
Quote Reply

Prev Next