Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: My 8 year old son tried to shave his legs! [Hinds57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"How are the STI shifters working with your son's small hands? I was thinking about using bar end shifters for him."

I changed out the stock 80mm stem for a 60mm for only $19. The 50mm was $79 and a special order. That brought the shifters closer but he has some trouble shifting the front derailleur. I will give it a little more time but I was thinking about a straight bar with grip shifters for the first year. He has that setup on his Mt. Bike and is comfortable with it. I wouldn’t try the bar end shifters because I don’t want him to have his hands away from the breaks. I saw some kids at IronKids last year with bar end shifters and it didn’t look safe to me.

His first big ride on the F24 was 10 miles or so and he wanted to keep riding when we got home. That same ride on his Mt. Bike he was so tired I would need to stop and wait for him on the way home. The road bike with better gearing makes a big difference. Now he wants SPDs (no chance for now) and real bike jersey and shorts (Performance Bike sale here we come). The only thing better then bike gear for me is bike gear for my kids! Now my wife wants a new bike so life is good.

Dave

What I did was get some of those silicone bumpers that you put on the back of paintings and compressed the brake handle and stuck it on the inside upper part of the housing. When you release the brake/shift lever it limits how far it goes back into the housing and effectively reduces the reach on the brifters. There are now some companies that sell a purpose-made product that does the exact same thing. They come in several different sizes so you'll have to experiment with how large or small you need them to be. You also need to make sure you still have enough brake lever travel. I started my kids on flat bars with grip shifts as well, but with this modification they could use the brifters when they were 6-7 years old.

Regarding the front derailleur, they often don't have enough hand strength to shift chainrings but it's really not an issue. You can shift it for them if the need arises. With my kids I actually took off the 39 and 53's that came on the bikes and put something like a 46 or 48 on it. Just one chainring with a 12-27 cassette and that's all they needed. I guess if you live in a hilly area you can keep the 39, but my kids could climb like billy goats with the 46 or 48 and could also spin out and hit the high-20's as well.

Regarding shoes and cleats, I started my kids with MTB cleats and shoes and they learned in about 5 minutes when they were around 6 years-old as well. Road bike cleats required too much torque to get in and out and was almost impossible for them. MTB shoes are easier to walk in as well. Clipping in was one of the reasons they wanted to go riding all the time ;-)

Regarding shorts, the Trek kids' shorts are the best.

I've got tons of other kid-bike tips if you need them :-)

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Last edited by: IronDad: Oct 7, 05 17:42
Quote Reply
Re: My 8 year old son tried to shave his legs! [swmrdrn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So cool, I can't wait until K starts wanting to swim/bike and/or run with mommy....

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: My 8 year old son tried to shave his legs! [2fast4u] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
- you guys have a point somewhere there?:)

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply
Re: My 8 year old son tried to shave his legs! [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't recall when I last shaved and I would have to have a damn fine reason to start now...

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply
Re: My 8 year old son tried to shave his legs! [swmrdrn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've told this one before...My oldest was about the same age and looked straight faced at us one day and asked how old would he be when he had to start shaving. He meant his legs. I really had to supress laughing out loud and explained to him that if he got into sports such as swimming, cycling and triathlon then he probably would but not worry about it until then. It was then that I realized that all of the men in my two son's lives had shaved legs, plus I worked at a bike/tri shop where everyone was shaved down, and there was a copy of Triathlete Magazine on the table with Scott Molina on the cover shaving his legs. We haven't let him forget about it espcially now that he's Mr. Macho football/rugby player.

Precious times.

Prev Next