Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hey Mister Tibbs... [yaquicarbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

But, I have a real fear of the sterotypical large-wheeled Confederate battle-flag adorned jacked-up trucks I see coming up from behind me while I'm riding. Lots of trepidation occurs as I try to determine if they are going to launch the last bit of their chili-dawg out the window at my head. It's happened enough times to give me good reason to be biased against the occupants of this kind of vehicle. Now, if I were Black, I would imagine the fear would be multiplied. Who needs this kind of problem when trying to enjoy being outside and doing something fun and healthy?

There are enough people talking on the cell phone while driving, or just not paying enough attention to see a lone cyclist in the road, but the blatant purveyors of the attitude that suggests that they don't-give-a-#$%@ about anybody else, and actually do things that could be called assault, well, it happens enough to an apparent cracker like me that I don't know if I'd ride many places if I were melatonin-enhanced.

I don't mind having to watch out for myself, but, I do mind people purposefully doing things that can result in injury. And I think this perception of purposeful dangerous acts would be greater if my skin color were darker. Maybe this is a contributing factor to the relative absence of darker skinned people riding bikes. I don't know if I agree w/ this or not, but I have to admit, I feel much more comfortable riding out in the country here in Cali than I did in Texas. I have a good friend who's also black who won't ride by himself in the outskirts in Texas. I did it quite a bit but I have to admit it added to the slight nervousness you always have when riding by yourself in the country and you hear a truck coming up behind you. Nothing ever happened thankfully, except for he occasional "nig*er" remark. I guess it was a nice change for them. It's got to get old using the same "faggot" line when passing a lycra-clad cyclist.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Mister Tibbs... [jayblack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jay,

it depends where in TX...in the El Paso area (and Las Cruces), it's VERY safe in general...I may have had 2 incidents, like close calls, nothing else.

Actually, what generally happens is a car stops next to you and ask "hey! Que paso chavo? Nice bike!"
pretty friendly.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Mister Tibbs... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really liked Las Cruces. I was driving through and stopped to refuel and get some food. It seemed like such a nice place that I wound up staying there for about 6 hours, looking around. Not sure what it was. I just liked the place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Las cruces is really nice and has great rides!
too bad the region lacks water...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I said, "I don't know if I'd ride many places...", what I meant to say was, "There are several places that I know where I wouldn't ride, if I were black." But, you know what? There are several place I won't ride because I'm NOT black, too!

The worst place I've ever ridden was in Southern Missouri, near Joplin. More obscenities, food, drinks, even bottles, were hurled at me per mile there than anywhere else I've ever ridden. The cap-wearing attitude-spewing scrawny redneck was present in abundance there. I really believe a black person would be seriously harrassed riding a bike around there, it was rare to even see a black person in Joplin. Anyway, there were just too many backward a$$es riding around in vehicles. I know that wasn't everyone, but it was way more than the average I was used to. A biker, Ken Gray, was killed when I was out there, on a wide road...just run over. They held a biathlon in his honor, my first multisport event (which I won, thankyouverymuch), and is how I got interested in triathlons (which I have never won, thankyouverymuch, due to my lack of being able to swim well...I DON'T float, either, btw!)

Louisville, KY, was actually pretty good, considering the traffic density, but the air in the Ohio Valley was awful. (I've seen chest X-Rays from people that have lived their life in the OV, and didn't smoke, and I would have guessed they were a smoker. One physician there told me that OV lifers that move to another area, sometimes have to have their pre-employment health screening chest X-Rays sent back to the OV for a Physician to read the X-Ray as "normal".) Atlanta....what can I say? It ain't good. Houston? Fuggetaboutit. Charlotte? I just moved away from there, partly because of the bike-unfriendliness. Greenville-Spartanburg...it's been almost 20 years, but this was a very place to ride back then, the Greenville Spinners had a great race program back then, don't know about now. We had a novice team that would whip any category 4 group that came to the races...back then, category 4 was the entry level. Well, I've strayed off subject...again.

Anyway, I don't see it getting better in the future, unless bike lanes are being utilized. As it gets more crowded, bikers are the losers, doesn't matter what skin color is sported by the rider. I do wish more black athletes would ride, I've gotten a couple of my black friends to begin riding. There's a rather large group in Charlotte called the Cannonballs...they meet at a house in the neighborhood I just moved away from, and they are about 80% black people. They are involved in the bike route planning in north Charlotte...I hope they are successful, its desperately needed there!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
This is long, but this is MY story. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey Francois,
I will speak for ALL black people. Basically, we spend enough time suffering around all you white people and don't want to spend our weekends in self induced pain with you.

Seriously, Darlene and I have both wondered why we don't see more blacks. We met as cyclist and wondered why we stood out. However, In the last year I have noticed more blacks riding bikes at rallies and around White Rock lake. Many things you guys have mentioned all contribute to why you don't see us at multi-sport races. I never had access to a pool growing up. My first chance to swim came after I was an adult and had money to spend on a gym or pool membership. But, I didn't and still don't know where to find a pool where I grew up in KCMO. So my first time ever being in a real pool came when I was 30. I am still a slow swimmer because I spent the first 30 years of my life terrified of water. I got dizzy and close to passing out around any open body of water. Crossing bridges was a fear of mine. The thought of falling in a lake gave me nightmares. I used to dream of falling into the water. That's how deep MY fear ran. Now, I've come a long way with the help of you white people calling me names because I was scared to swim. My second experience in open water was at lake grapevine. When I was told to "just get in and start swimming and quit being a pu$$y", thanks, it gave me motivation. Rivercities was my first open water tri! Second thing, I've always had (cheap) bikes or bike assembled with stolen parts. That wasn't a problem, but it is NOT safe to ride a bike through the hood. Hell, you ride through there with you windows up, gun loaded, and doors locked. Riding a bike is asking for it. Third, running..... Ahh, I loved running. I would drive to the white neighborhoods and run with the white people where it was safe all the time. I entered and ran in every race I could. I ran Cross-country in HS. Of course, CC wasn't cool at a black school. Our white coach took the team to Kansas to run at the white schools. My CC team got boo'd at pep rallies. Football players made fun of us. Kids threw things at us. We were outcast.

To wrap this up, lack of swimming opportunities growing up, and lack of support for endurance sports from OUR community.

I would not be in this sport if events would not have pushed me here. I hurt my back doing martial arts and a white doctor told me I couldn't run anymore until my back healed. I was told I could cycle. I became a cyclist wanting to race like Lance. I met Darlene while cycling. I learned I was too big to be a winning racer, I watched Darlene do a triathlon, and here I am now.

Olen
Quote Reply
Paging Mr. Muscle [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Wow River Cities was your first, Do you know Matt Brown the Race Director? He is my lifelong friend. If you don"t know him . meet him at next years race he is great. I won the # 2 River City and was RD for #,4, 5 & 6 then gave Matt the race. He is still doing a great job. Aloha G
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
would that mean CJ is african american?

Still white but all the brothers at work have started calling me "Pimp" and saying I'm one ok white boy. Plus I've started drinking Sprite during brakes.

I am so close to having soul I bought an X cap. (not really)

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: This is long, but this is MY story. [muscle.boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darn Olen,

you just digged an old thread out! but thanks...

did you know that this year is the first year a black dude is joining a pro team?

Someone (I forgot his name, but will look it out) from Guadeloupe (one of the Islands attached to France, in the Carabeans) has joined Brioches La Boulangere....

the dude seems to have a lot of talent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Within five years a black individual with place top ten at kona and within ten years a black individual will be considered one of the worlds best swimmers.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: This is long, but this is MY story. [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The answer is very obvious Francois. There are no blacks in triathlon because there is no money. They have enough sense to get paid if they are going to work hard and suffer.

No one will pay slow white guys like ourselves. Ah, I guess I should make that slow white guys like me. I have to pay to suffer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
... it's not really a difficult explanation... but, it does have a difficult solution.

And, I think Mr. Tibbs answered it correctly... for many reasons, they don't want to do triathlon's.

However, the reason they don't want to may also be related to lack of opportunity. However, lack of opportunity may or may not be race related... but, it is most likely a question of economics AND opportunity. It seems to be more of difference between the have's and the have nots... those that have the fortitude and those that do not have the fortitude. Opportunity can be created... it's just a question of willingness to create that opportunity. Perhaps it is that black's prefer to create opportunity in a different direction... perhaps not.

The fact remains it would be to the advantage of the sport to be more inclusive and promote the sport on a broad base. This will take time and money. As it was put, some day a Tiger Woods of triathlon will makes it's appearance. I for one, hope that happens more sooner than later.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply

Prev Next