Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kona swim course
Quote | Reply
I've read many posts on the strategy for this swim and am curious as to WHY most everyone recommends starting in the middle or left of middle- then angling toward the boats and then angling slightly left toward the finish??

Logic and basic geometry tell me that you are lenghtening the distance you swim. To me, the coveted spot would be to line up to the right and hug the buoys to the turnaround- ditto on the way back (shortest distance). Also seems that with the swells rolling right to left on the way out- that staying right would help fight this.

Am I going to get killed/squished by staying right? For you who have swam this race- what is the WHY behind staying in the middle to left at the start?

I plan on swimming 1:10 to 1:15. Thanks guys/gals.

Marc
Quote Reply
Re: Kona swim course [UltraST] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never swam the course but grew up and still live in Hawaii. It may have to do with tide and currents. If your lining up on the inside and the tide is going out, it will take you out as well, putting you on line with the turnaround. When you get to Kona and go for a swim, choose conditions that will best simulate what you will get on race morning as far as tide. Theres not much you can predict for the waves and current. Have fun, I'll be following some friends on IMlive.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona swim course [UltraST] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Marc ... first off the swim has a slight angle to it. Whether you line up against the buoys/peer or if you line up middle or closer to the boat the distance will virtually be the same. Most people (going 1:00 or more) who start right will get pushed to the middle of the swim course (happens every year)and then have to work your way back to the buoy line and around the turn. I remeber starting in the middle my first year and got pushed that way .. we were inside the buoys and taking a bad line within 100 meters and i could do nothiun about it, i just swam in a violant bunch for the first 2k

The swells can be a little different every year, sometimes none, but will roll diagonally across you ... let's say coming toward your right temple.

The year Lars Jorgenson set the swim course record (i think it still stands) he started way left and swam the whole thing by himself ;) ... he knew something, plus he didn't want any people latching on!

Inside the the King K hotel they set up a great swim display w/ very knowledgeable folks who can show you the best starting positions and lines ... they know what they are talking about!

Enjoy the day!

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Last edited by: trifaster: Sep 29, 05 10:48
Quote Reply
Re: Kona swim course [trifaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks Dave- I'll look for the display
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The year Lars Jorgenson set the swim course record (i think it still stands) he started way left and swam the whole thing by himself ;) ... he knew something, plus he didn't want any people latching on!
Yup.... it's still his... Jan keeps coming closer though... too bad he wont be out there this year... got to meet him last year, nice dude.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Inside the the King K hotel they set up a great swim display

That thing cracks me up, it's so quaint, it looks like a 6th grader's diorama project from like 1977. :D

TriBaby
"The rule is, jam yesterday, and jam tomorrow, but NEVER jam today." ---The White Queen

Quote Reply