Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2001 QR PicanTi review.....
Quote | Reply
I know that this is an older bike and it seems strange to write a review but there are still plenty of these around and the bike is relatively new to me so....

I purchased a medium QR PicanTi from Preownedbikes.com for 1200 bucks. Full Ultegra. CPX 33 rims with Ultegra hubs, syntace aerobars, everything else Ultegra. Top tube is 53.5. The bike looks brand new. I tried for over a year to get my Kestrel Talon to work as a tri bike. It was OK but I was never really satisfied. I could not get very low and handling was not great in a forward position (not bad, but not great). Whenever I took the aerobars off of my Talon it was like a breath of fresh air. I loved riding it as a road bike; didn't like it nearly as much as a tri bike. My first spin on the QR was like coming back home. I felt instantly at ease in the aerobars. I immediately removed spacers and dropped the bars way down. Lower than I have ever been able to achieve. It was still very comfortable. I can probably still go an inch or so lower when my neck gets conditioned to riding in that position. The QR has a 78 degree seat tube angle and I am riding it steeper than that (with a Thomson seat post and seat forward). It feels good. What really surprises me is the handling. Even riding that steep, I can ride the thing with no hands. I can reach for a water bottle with no issues at all. It is amazing the difference that it makes when you ride a bike that was designed to ride steep. I can easily achieve 100 mile comfort with my aerobars significantly lower than my saddle. It is no Bjorn like position but I have not been able to get this low in the front previously.

The bottom bracket is very stiff. Stiffer than my Talon, which I though was very stiff. Not sure if this is due to the 650 c wheels. The ride is as smooth as my Talon as well. I can see myself owning this bike for a long time. At 1200 bucks, this bike was a steal. There is a large PicanTi frame on Preownedbikes.com right now if anybody is interested.

Mike P.

P.S. Dan, did you design this one?
Quote Reply
Re: 2001 QR PicanTi review..... [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, its great a bike. I ride an '02 in a Large. I remember talking to someone from QR when they discontinued it. He told me they just weren't selling. The tri community just didn't embrace the compact frames. I think that sizing was an issue. The whole S, M, ML, L thing. Why not just equivalent sizes to standard frames. Anyway, it should fall in the catagory "best titanium tri bikes never bought".

-mike
Quote Reply
Re: 2001 QR PicanTi review..... [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Mike

I have an '02 PicanTi in size ML ("medium large"...sounds like an oxymoron to me but what the hell). I have been pretty happy with this bike. As you say very comfy and rock solid handling. You don't see many of them out here either. It certainly is not the most aero frame out here with round top tube, and stays but how much that really matters I don't know. Down tube is kinda aero. I am sure you know they are made in the same factory as Litespeed as is evident by the quality of the welds.

You are right about getting good deals on these. I bought my frameset with upgraded all carbon QR aero fork for $800 and built it up from there. Hell of a price for a frame that will last for a lifetime.

Have been so pleased with my East Tennessee ti bike I recently sold my old Kestrel 200ems and bought a Litespeed Tuscany. Of course now from reading some other posts I realize I am a codger and out of touch since I don't ride the latest swoopy carbon bike. Dang...I always miss these fads!
Quote Reply