Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Long Term Training goals and structure... Fleck/Gordo/Coaches and anyone else?
Quote | Reply
Slightly by my situation and slightly by my curiosity, I ended up more or less exclusively running the whole summer. I noticed significant gains in running ability as result; I am a hardier, faster runner now than the beginning of the summer. Capstone event for the season is a marathon in 2 weeks.

This will be my 2nd year of this "tri" gig and I only did 2 events this last year. I am 21 and have long term goals to prepare for a strong HIM in a few years. In fact I would be more than happy to be suboptimal for the 2006 race season if it meant a better 2007 & 2008 season.

My basic idea is to heavily emphasize one sport per season (something like 75% of my time/focus to that sport) and then use the summer as balance/tuneup and race. Example would be Fall-Swim, Winter-Run, Spring-Bike, Summer-Balanced

Since my swim is the weakest right now, I'm looking at how best to put together a swim intense 12 week program. I know right now I cannot swim more than 5k on a 2 day basis, but I hope to be able to get some quality meters in by the end of this block. Ultimate goal is a 30k meters in week 12. The basic week for this block is the following (building up to this):

M: Morning 1h swim w/ club Afternoon 1h swim drill focus

T: Morning 1h swim Afternoon 30m swim + 1hr run

W: Morning 1h swim w/ club

Th: Morning 1h swim Afternoon 30m swim + 90m Bike

F: Morning 1h swim w/ club Afternoon 1h swim drill focus

S: Morning 1-1.5 hr run Afternoon possible 1-1.5hr bike

Su: Morning 2+ hr bike (slow slow slow)

Saturday w/o would be every other week. I am sure I cannot handle the swim volume right now, but I'm more worried about going backwards in the other two fields. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Daniel Heineck

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Re: Long Term Training goals and structure... Fleck/Gordo/Coaches and anyone else? [DHeineck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In consideration of swim focus ... if you are thinking long term and you are young i don't believe you need to swim as much as you indicated ... especially since you say you are not in a hurry to get there ;) ... this is a thought w/ slightly more balance (changes are in red) Listen to the body and cycle in some rest days / ez days / completly off days ... find a work/rest cycle that fits best for you! These sessions may not fit your life/school schedule or climate completely so adapt as needed.

M: Morning 1h swim w/ club - Afternoon: Run

T: Morning 1h swim Afternoon Ride

W: Morning 1h swim w/ club -

Th: Morning 1h swim / Afternoon Run or Ride

F: Morning Run or Ride oppsoite of THURS PM - Afternoon 1h swim drill focus

S: Morning 1-1.5 hr run - Afternoon swim

Su: Morning 2+ hr bike (ride in the hills)

Best of Luck ...[/reply]
-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: Long Term Training goals and structure... Fleck/Gordo/Coaches and anyone else? [trifaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. The MWF morning swims will definitely stay since they're coached, and I do like going to them (probably more focused b/c of coach, plus I like swimming with people) However simply flip flopping morning afternoon sessions on Friday would work. However, I definitely fit into the category of "not good enough" to swim well, so I'm kinda stuck. I figured a very lopsided training season would be beneficial to crack that ice.

Thanks,

Daniel

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Last edited by: DHeineck: Sep 27, 05 21:17
Quote Reply
Re: Long Term Training goals and structure... Fleck/Gordo/Coaches and anyone else? [DHeineck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Polite bump for more opinions/help.

Thanks,

Daniel

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are yards and quality yards or meters in your case. Swimming 30,000 meters incorrectly can lead to 1. shoulder problems. 2. reinforcing bad stroke habits.

talk to your swim coach about a plan to get you faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have any profound insights, but it seems like a really good idea.

Here's my thoughts. Anyone with a natural triathlete build who can qualify for the Boston Marathon can almost surely transition to triathlon and qualify for Hawaii in short order. I'm not kidding, I really do think that triathlon really comes down to run speed. If you can't run biking is irrelevant.

For the next few years it looks like I might be really short on time (more than likely I'll be in a graduate program). I'm thinking that running exclusively for a period of 3-4 years, getting down to a 3hr marathon, and saving myself a ton of time might not be a bad idea. In fact, I think it's the only way I'll ever make it to Hawaii. I don't think that transitioning back into triathlon will be a big deal.

I'd give the sport-specific training a serious go. Slowman has written several articles on this concept, if on a more limited basis.

Good luck and report back on the results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Overall I like what I am seeing:

1. You are taking a long term ( ie multi-year approach to it all)

2. You seem to be engaged in the process of improving. Are you have ing fun with it? I hope so.

3. You are seeing direct positive feedback on doing focussed blocks on specific sports. It's so simple, I am not sure why others don't see or get this.

4. To address your fears, I find that the deep fitness gained from long term training does not go that far backwards when you do a focus block on just one sport if you get out and do the other sports 1 - 2 times a week. That's all you'll need to keep things almost on par.

Hope that helps.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Long Term Training goals and structure... Fleck/Gordo/Coaches and anyone else? [caleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you in part on this. Having a good solid running back ground is a good starting point for solid triathlon performance. However, I have seen sub 2:30 marathon runners completely humbled by an Ironman triathlon. You still have to put it together and the cycling fitness has to be there and be in balance with the run fitness.

However, I do like your longer term look and your honest approach - I don't have the time for cycling now, so just focus on running. If you do have 3 - 4 years don't just focus on the marathon look at the range of 5K to the 1/2 marathon as well. In fact you may do better to focus on seeting absolute best times at this range of distances and forgetting about the marathon all together - that would REALLY lift your running fitness.

Fleck

Quote Reply
Re: Long Term Training goals and structure... Fleck/Gordo/Coaches and anyone else? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your opinion.

I'm primarily motivated by the fact I enjoy training and improving. I would categorize myself as a race to train kinda guy instead of the opposite. So yes, I am having fun.

Thanks,

Daniel

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having fun with it and being engaged in the process of improvemet is key.

Best wishes,

Fleck

Quote Reply