Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Raising aerobars. What to do?
Quote | Reply
In the slowtwitch triathlon bike fit article, Dan talks about the option of raising the aerobars if they prove uncomfortable. But I wasn't sure how to go about doing this. Is this done through lifters? Or by some other means?

Thanks for you help!
Quote Reply
Re: Raising aerobars. What to do? [dhcrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kind of aero bar and handlebar set up are you riding?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get a stem with more rise in it. You can get longer screws and spacers to put under the arm pads if one piece bars. Raise the stem or put another spacer under if threadless.
Just a few ideas, hope they help.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Raising aerobars. What to do? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have Syntace C2 Clip-ons and Syntace Stratos Cowhorn Bars on a Cervelo P2k. This is my first time riding a tribike, and it seems like I may not be ready for such an aggressive position. Thanks for any thoughts.
Quote Reply
spacer kit [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
syntace sells a 1" spacer kit for the C2's and SL's, it will raise the arm pats 1" from where they normally sit.

-------------------------
http://www.ventuscustoms.com Custom Bicycle Painting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While pricey, the Look Ergostem is a wonderful tool for those of us still in our first few years (and still trying to figure out where we want our arm rests). You can adjust the stem to any height and reach you like. Right now, I'm not training seriously on the bike -- just doing easy trainer rides a few times a week. I have the stem set up high so the arm rests are even with the seat. It's nice and comfy and easy to stay down on. As the season rolls around, I'll slowly start lowering the bars until it feels as about as low as I want to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi dhcrunner, Be careful about jacking your aerobars up too high. It can affect the handling of your bike and negate much of the aerodynamic benefit of using aerobars (if you get too carried away). It might be worthwhile considering using the off-season to get acclimated to rideing in a lower posture by doing short, moderate workouts on an indoor trainer. If you can train yourself to ride comfortably, powerfully and safely (meaning you can see where you;re going, reach your bottles and maneuver your bike competently) it will be a big benefit in performance. I know you can do it! Treat the cause rather than the symptom.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Raising aerobars. What to do? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tom for the tip. I actually just bought a trainer today and I think that I will do just that.

I was considering lifters. And if it weren't cold, and if I were inclined to ride outside, I would probably give the lifters a try.

But I will be indoors quite a bit, and I will hopefully just get used to the position, I hope.
Quote Reply