Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo dual road bike
Quote | Reply
There are alot of post about what a good tri bike the dual is, but not much about how it performs as a road bike (when the seatpost is relaxed). Has anyone swapped the front end (bars, shifters, etc..) and ridden it with this set-up?

Thanks, KC
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo dual road bike [kevinc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking from VERY limited experience, I don't think it's a great idea. Too many people think the name "Dual" means both road and tri. It really means (i think) that both seat-tube and down tube are in an aggressive, aero position (and both are, in fact, aero-tubed). My gf has one and loves it. Interesting thing is that the bike ONLY fits here in the tri position (which is what she bought it for). If she tries a road configuration, it just doesn't work at all. She uses it as her road bike (take off the clip-ons), but it's still in the tri geometry. Others have posted here that they've had problems achieving good positions for both road and tri. From my understanding, the Dual is a Tri bike with tri geometry, so you're sacrificing some if you try to use it as a road bike. Seems like a soloist would be a better choice of bikes if you want one bike that switches back and forth.

just my 2 cents--hopefully i'm not completely wrong, but I fear Gerard will come by later and blow me out of the water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you might be thinking of the soloist instead. the dual is intended to be a pure tri bike. maybe it could be configured as a road bike, but that's not what it's designed for.

in contrast, the soloist is a legitimate road bike, certainly good enough for team csc to use. however it does have the versatility to use as a decent tri or time trial bike by flipping the seatpost head around. it's primary design to use in the road geometry, so it wouldn't be as well suited for tris as a p3, but it'll get the job done better than about any road bike conversion with a forward seatpost and clip ons.

if you don't own either one yet, and you have to choose only one or the other, i'd go with the soloist since you have the extra functionality, and you'd probably be spending more time riding in the road position than in the tri position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, despite some confusing marketing by some shops, the Dual is either a time trial or tri bike, not a road bike. Perhaps they should have called it the Duel...
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo dual road bike [whineyass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't sound like it is an option for a "Dual" function bike. Unfortunately the soloist is a little out of my price range and I don't want to be stuck riding a tri only bike especially in the winter and early spring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have written this before, so someone correct me if i am wrong, but the Specialized Allez has very similar geometry to the Soloist. I own an Allez that i built up from scratch and I have shorty aerobars on it. I love it. I got rid of my Dual a few months ago. So this is now my "do it all" bike.
Last edited by: johnt: Sep 24, 05 18:59
Quote Reply