Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking for an iron-distance race for next year?
Quote | Reply
Last weekend I took a chance with a "non-i-dot" ironman - the CaliforniaMan iron-distance race in Davis, CA.

www.japroductions.com

This was a fantastic race. If you are looking for a great race, a well-run race, a safe, supportive, fun race - then start making plans for next year's CaliforniaMan. I don't know if it will be the case next year, but this year, being so new, we did not have to register months (or even weeks) in advance. The race did not fill up. Except for the volunteer spots - all of those positions were definitely filled. JA Productions did an incredible job recruiting plenty of cheerful support staff. The aid stations were filled with everything a racer could ask for - vaseline, salt tablets, coke, 7-up, gel, sports drink, chicken soup, and food, food, food. One station had the best-looking homemade fudge I had ever seen. My only regret is that my stomach could not handle it at the time. Oh how I yearn for that fudge now. How 'bout the aid station with 100 screaming girl scouts? They were fantastic. Every aid station had a theme and I looked forward to seeing each and every one of them.

The swim was clean and warm. It was in a protected area, so it was like swimming in a swimming pool. Could not have been safer or easier.

The bike was flat. My only complaint is the gusting winds on the second half of the bike. I suppose that is not the fault of the organizers, but I sure could have done without them.

The run was the gem of the race. Almost entirely on bike/running paths. A long section wound its way through the UC Davis Arboretum. It was shaded and beautiful!

Lastly, I have to comment on two really incredible finishers. First is 16 year-old Nathan Muldoon. Yes, young Nathan finished the full ironman distance, and in an enviable time of 12:14. Congratulations Nathan! Nathan has an inspirational story to tell, also. At age 11, he weighed 50 pounds more than he does now. Not only did he lose 50 pounds, but he also grew taller in the process. So many adults in our world need to learn a lesson from this young athlete.

Another impressive finish was in the 1/2 iron-distance. 13 year-old MacKenzie Cole. He finished in a scorching time of 5:41. I’d be afraid if he decides to move up to the ironman distance next year! MacKenzie certainly displays a huge amount of talent.

Congratulations to all my fellow CaliforniaMan finishers. I hope to see you there again next year!
Quote Reply