Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Powertap SL doesn't work anymore :(
Quote | Reply
On Wednesday during my ride it started raining really heavy. All of a sudden my Powertap SL read a big "0". Little later, for a couple of seconds I had a reading again, since then "0" is the number on the display :(

Never had to replace the batteries before. So I changed the computer batteries. I don't have replacement batteries for the Powermeter unit, so checking those isn't an option right now. However, I did open up the plastic cap of the power unit for the first time. To my surprise, one of the little rubber seal rings was broken in 2 pieces. I found them on top of the two batteries.

This really sucks. What can I do? I guess I will call

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap SL doesn't work anymore :( [theswiss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When did you pick it up? There were issues with the early SL's.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap SL doesn't work anymore :( [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In March or April and it always read correct. It is clearly that ride in the rain that caused this. I guess that the broken seal piece is to blame for this. But what does that mean? Is the unit broken now???

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They may warranty the whoe system and send a new one, if you got one of the earlier defective models
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I talked to Rich ar Wheelbuilder.com about this, here's what he said:

"With regards to PT SL quality, they did have some initial quality problems until they halted production in March. All hubs produced after April/May have had excellent quality. Have not seen a dud in the last 120 hubs we laced."

From what I read, the issues were related to water intrusion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you try putting the CPU in test mode and running through the test steps in the manual? Unless you have a spare wheel or a friend with a SL, that's what the Graber folks will ask you to do right away.

Sometimes if you get water in them, if you let it dry for a few days, it will start working again. Some of the people who ride a lot in the rain will put a bit of dielectric grease near the seal and the axle for insurance against water seeping in there.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap SL doesn't work anymore :( [SWoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks everybody.

I will try putting the CPU in test mode like you said. Do you know what the difference between early PT SL and newer SL versions is?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call or email CycleOps/Graber and arrange to send your wheel back for service. It is relatively quick and painless. I sent my Pro back for overhaul after 8000 miles...turnaround was about 2 weeks...and hey...no charge to me except for the initial cost of sending the wheel to them. My experience that time and with initially getting additional harnesses is that this company is working really hard to stand behind their products. Hell, my wheel was working perfectly in the electronics when I sent it back...I'd just worn out the cartridge bearings that are not easily consumer repairable...but they went ahead and replaced the torque tube anyway...I suppose that is a wear-degraded item...but again...the power function was working fine when I sent it... So now I've got an essentially new wheel again.

Also, if I recall, the early problems with PT SLs were NOT in the weather seal department...I think it had to do with heat buildup in the hub electronics causing failure (direct sun through the carbon windows heating the electronics or something to that effect)...

Yours sounds like a simple failure of the O-rings...and if you hadn't serviced the batteries prior to noticing this, then this would be a defect from the factory...I'm betting they'll do right by you on this one...
Quote Reply