Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Roof rack questions???
Quote | Reply
I just purchased a Subaru Outback, and for some races when I’m camping and taking at least one other racer with a bike, I’ll need to use a rack. I have decided to use a Yakima roof rack due to the versatility and the cost, but I have a couple of questions. In order to minimize the possibility of damage to my bike should I point it forward or backward? If forward, do those cloth protectors that go over the fork and handlebars really do any good or do they just hurt your gas mileage and make noise (also, how do they fit over the aero bars)? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Roof rack questions??? [rlirwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure you want to go with a roof rack? The bars on the Subie are only rated for 100lb. I have an outback and use a 1 1/4 hitch rack which is kinder and gentler on your bike. The only way I'd go with a roof rack is if you are also planning on using a kayak or canoe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never used the "covers" so can't answer that question, I do have another question though. How safe is it to haul them in a backward position?

In the backward position the only thing keeping the wheel down is the plastic strap. Never tried it but it wodul seem that this owuld allow the bike to move around because the pressure form teh wind is trying to move the bike. With teh strap in teh back the pressure is trying to push it down, in essense seating the wheel. The only time the strap is used is during stopping to keep the bike form flipping forward.

I saw a gut at IMWI with 4 racks, two forward two back, on a similar set up as mine. Would be nice to put four on top, but I question the stability of the setup.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried the bike covers for a long road trip for my roof rack once. They didn't really do much except catch bugs....and kill them. Needless to say, the covers became a single use item as I was not about to waste my time trying to clean them. I'm in Texas too....so we are talking about really big bugs.

-Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Thule roof rack on my VW Passat station wagon. I have 3 bike trays (fork mount), all facing forward. I have one front end cover that is tri bike specific but I don't feel like it is absolutely necessary. It basically works as a filter removing bugs from the air that passes through it. It doesn't make any noise and I wash it in the clothes washing machine after each use. It comes out clean. I drove 3 tri bikes out to Lake Placid in July and the one with the cover was a little cleaner but they all required some attention at the end of the trip.

I don't think it matters if you mount the trays facing forward or backward. If I were to add another tray I would have to alternate 2 facing front and 2 facing back and I would do that but I haven't needed to yet.

Wether the bikes face front or back it is absolutely necassary to keep the belt that goes through the rear wheel tight and make sure there is at least some air pressure in the rear tire. My understanding is that by keeping that belt tight it takes some of the pressure off the fork and makes the bike more secure. I had a friend with a rear disk on his bike and it was the only wheel we had on hand (I picked him up from a race). We decided to put the bike inside the car because there was no way to belt down the rear wheel. I think this was the right choice.

Whenever I leave home with bikes up top I put the remote control for the garage door in the glove box so that when I get home I am forced to look for the remote which then reminds we why I hid it. If you have a garage you should do this.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used a Yakima roof rack with Viper bike mounts a fair amount in the past, and the only reason I can think of for mounting a bike backwards would be if you wanted to carry 4-6 bikes up there and needed the space.

As for the bike bras, I like to think that they help prevent the wind and rain from driving all the grease out from the bearings.

Having said that, now that I have nice bikes they ride in the car with me. I'll put your bike on the rack if you need it transported, but mine stays inside.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just bought an Outback myself 3 weeks ago.

Part of the deal was them to but a rack on it. Yakima makes the racks for them. I put two bikes and wheels up there last weekend and it worked just fine no worries.
Quote Reply