Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cateye Double Wireless Help
Quote | Reply
yesterday I bought the new Cateye double wireless bike computer and when I got home realized that the handlebar mount wasn't in the box. Called the shop and they found one for me but now I think it might be the wrong one. Can't get it to work at all.

On the bottom side of the computer there are three terminals but the handlebar mount is blank. Should there be some sort of connection between those terminals and some terminals on the handlebar mount? Can anyone with this computer confirm if the handlebar mount is just all plastic or are there some connections on it that I am missing?

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Cateye Double Wireless Help [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The handlebar mount is all plastic. I have no idea what the three metallic contacts on the computer are for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought for sure that there was but I just looked at mine and there are not contact points on the handle bar mount. The mount is rectangular in shape with a female notch in it to accept the computer in a very tight fit. I'll take a picture of it in a moment and post it or send it to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Cateye Double Wireless Help [Evil Monkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
darn, was hoping that was the reason it wouldn't work. Even when I hold the computer and mount right near the chainstay pick up it reads nothing. All the screen is working but no speed or cadence registers. Very strange.

thanks for checking EM

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you click the reset button on the sending unit?
Last edited by: The Lemming: Sep 23, 05 9:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those 3 terminals are for some sort of remote setup. There wouldn't be any need to have connections for a "wireless" mounting bracket.

The batteries may not be installed correctly (sometimes there is a little piece of plastic between the batteries). Or it is a pretty complicated recognition setup - you may have to do it a couple of time to get the receiver to recognize the transmitter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry about the size of the photos

Sorry about the enormous size!

Quote Reply
Re: Cateye Double Wireless Help [The Lemming] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, looks like I have the right mount. I did hit the reset button on the sending unit once during set up before I installed it on the bike. That is my next thing to try. It will have to wait until Sunday night now though as I am on my way to a race and gave up on the unit and left it at home. Thanks for the tips.

BTW, how do you like it? Any problems?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love it. I had the Vetta wireless before and it had a lot more interference problems and it bonked out before a year (and yes I changed out all the batteries ;-) ). The mounts on the Vetta sending units are about a millimeter thick and are/were to easy to over torque with the zip-ties. I think the Cateye is better constructed as well as easier to read.

Good luck with your race this weekend and with your install on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Re: Cateye Double Wireless Help [The Lemming] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if you got it all fixed up yet but you will also need to SYNC the units after removing any plastic battery separators that might be there. Use the little button on the back of the computer to get into the menus of the computer, choose the sync id and then hold the reset on the pickup unit until numbers start changing on the computer screen. Make sure the two units are at least 2 feet apart. You will also set wheel size and time in this menu.

Two more things, mount the cadence unit with some beefy 1/4 inch zip-ty and pull tight with some kleins or something like that. Also, lock-tite the screw that holds the computer to the mount.
Last edited by: Race4LV: Sep 23, 05 11:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, like the post above says. look throught the instruction booklet (gasp!) and it outlines how to sync the 2 parts of the computer. they might be on different channels and not "talking" to each other.

- The Who
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike-

I had Trek mount mine for me...all is good. If you want to see the set up, swing by the house or I can bring at a club race.

I still have issues with it interferring with my Polar. I have to keep the watch on my left wrist(furthest away)

Also, all the buttons and levels confuse the heck out of me...

Where you racing this weekend?

-T
Quote Reply
Re: Cateye Double Wireless Help [lajollaseal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Trish,

I took the Amtrak this morning up the coast to Carpinteria for the Carpinteria Tri on Sunday. I left the computer and everything at home and will work on it again when I get back. If I can't get it, I'll swing by sometime (I'll call first). Thanks!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this sounds random, but... On the off chance that you are working on the bike in the living room, it could be getting interference from the tv, stereo, dvd, or other electronic equipment. We don't have that model, but had problems with an earlier wireless cateye computer. Couldn't get that darn thing working in the house. Wheeled the bike out the front door and voila, it worked.
Quote Reply
Re: Cateye Double Wireless Help [amy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not so random, actually a good observation.

My Cateye works fine in the room that I use my bike on a trainer with, but my Garmin (GPS turned On or Off) does not. There are plenty of electronics in the room and it's my conclusion that the Garmin 301 gets interfered with by that home entertainment equipment.

The Garmin and Cateye work together fine when used outside on a ride with no interference issues.
Quote Reply