Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training on a computrainer for an Ironman
Quote | Reply
I'l be doing IM Arizona in April (hoping to qualify for Hawaii) ,and up here in the North East the temperature can get a little too cold during the winter for outdoor riding. I just bought a computrainer,and it looks like I'll be doing most(if not all) of my riding indoors. My question is,is it difficult to make the switch from training inside to racing outside? Is there anyone out there who has trained exclusively on a computrainer for there Ironman? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Training on a computrainer for an Ironman [catmandu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ken glah did brazil using only his computrainer and he did quite well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Except for one weekend ride outdoors each week I train on my trainer (not even a computrainer and I've qualified for kona 4 straight times.
Quote Reply
Re: Training on a computrainer for an Ironman [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have any good riding processes you use on the computrainer.

Courses? Wattage? Time?

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you give some insight tot he structure and duration of your trainer sessions?

BTW, what age group are you in?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Training on a computrainer for an Ironman [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have a Computrainer. Personally i think they are a waste of money. I have a Kurt Kinetic with a Power Meter (total cost $300).
I have a Blockbuster unlimited movie membership so I throw in a DVD and pedal for a couple hours. If I feel strong I go hard if I don't I spin. pretty simple really. I think most IM athletes get too hung up on all this minutia. it really isn't all that complicated.
Quote Reply
Re: Training on a computrainer for an Ironman [doherjo1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 41. I train pretty low volume compared to most on this forum, about average of 8-12 hrs per week. A couple 1 to 1.5 trainer sessions during the week and a 2-5 hr ride on the weekend. Lately I've been swimming once a week, 2000yds. I run about 30-40 miles/week. that's it. I'm retiring after IM Hawaii this year. Got to work on my tennis game.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have thanks your parents a few times for your genes I assume.

Your training is even more than mine. I do not run that much. And I have not biked that much on the weeks.

Will probably never qualify for kona, but also still have my family and balance in tack.

Now, you say a CT is a waste of money. Just wondering, what kinda car do you drive?

Dave

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep... did about 80+% of my training for IMAZ on a CT.

Also did about 60% of my running on a treadmill.

It's simply to dark to get long rides in during the week. Much less a few days of bad weather.

The biggest problem with going from Training on trainer on a bike to the outdoor riding for an IMAZ is that it's best to have some prior experience in knowing how to accomodate the food you need. And, what I mean by that is... knowing how to carry your food on the bike. For me, there is a difference between eating on a trainer and on the road. There is a logistical difference and not so much a dietary difference.

Other than that, it not that much different. Your body doesnt' know where it is training... it's just going through the motions. In fact, I think the CT helps you fine tune your riding form. And, you will find the road actually mentally less taxing than the CT... which makes the CT more mentally challenging than an actually riding the bike on the road.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The benefit of trainer/CT rides is the zero coasting factor. To me, this is the biggest benefit. Try riding the CT Wildflower course or Zofingen vs the real thing. You are still pushing a big gear and cranking going DOWNHILL which in real life at 70 kph descents.

Good luck to slick at Kona !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Estka is that you?
Quote Reply
Re: Training on a computrainer for an Ironman [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev, the biggest benefit is I do not have to fight the elements or crazy car drivers!!

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Volvo V50. I say it's a waste not due to the cost which isn't all that much but in that I wouldn't use all those bells and whistles. I prefer to watch a good movie or catch up on my continueing education on video tape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Personally i think they are a waste of money.
Doesn't sound like you are in a position to judge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slick, I bet we all can find stuff that we each own and say it is a waste of money. We all time to have some much more in material objects than we really need.

I have enjoyed my computrainer so much, that I am updating to the velotron. Waste of money? Cant take it with ya.

Now, if I can just figure out how to get the velotron to work with the netathlon sw.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Training on a computrainer for an Ironman"

It can be done and I have heard it being done, but I have one word for that - BORING!

Personally, I would never council or advise an athlete who has to deal with a real winter, to do something like IMAZ. I mean if you HAVE to do it, by all means go ahead. My suggested plan of action for athletes that have to deal with a real winter - pick an A race that is in late August or early September and use the best weather of the season to train in. It's a much more organic and natural way of doing things.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Training on a computrainer for an Ironman [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hear hear. With my daylight fading fast, I am stuck on the trainer 2-3 times a week - already. And I still have 9 more weeks to go. Ugh.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Training on a computrainer for an Ironman [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice everyone. Training all winter indoors isn't going to be fun,but at least i know that it's doable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely. I'm just saying for me it is a waste of money because I wouldn't use all the graphics and other stuff you pay for. Resistance and a power meter is all I need. If you like the bells and whistles then it's worth it to you. I wasn't putting computrainers down, they are great and people love them. I just don't need or want the extra stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a CompuTrainer and I trained on it a lot last winter and fall.

This was my 1 year doing Tris, biking, running and or swimming in 10 years. I found that the CompuTrainer let me build up a base pretty quickly with out having to ride in the snow and rain. I also got based lined on one (lactate threshold) in April and by August I was up 25% watts at my lactate threshold. I give credit to that increase to the CT. A lot of 1 hour early AM sessions and evening bricks were done on it.

I did 3 Tris this season, a sprint, Pacific Crest 1/2 with a 3 hour bike and IMC with a 6 hour bike. For some one in their 1 season with no bike back ground I feel these are good times.

Next season I'm focused on IMC and my goal is a 5:30 bike you bet I'm be spending a lot of time in the garage on the CT with tunes cranked or a movie playing. When I watch TV on the CT, I crank the wattage up for commericals and go all out. I found that I start playing games like that to make the time go by.

Cool thing with a CT if hook a computer up to it is that you can ride versions of many of the IM and 1/2 IM course. I have a copy of the IMC program that I have cut out all of the flat sections from. Same for Pacific Crest.
Quote Reply