Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Your too skinny!! [rover] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rover, of the two pics I posted above, I actually had a better race in the early season "chunkier pic". I think there is a point where you get too skinny, and although you might even gain time on the bike, because you have less muscle force, you run out of steam on the run largely due to efforts on the bike. It is a pretty fine balance that is very individual.
Quote Reply
Re: Your too skinny!! [Ziva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. Which countries are you comparing? could you be more specific. Are you comparing the US and Slovenia (as far as I'm concerned, Slovenia does not represent the EU as a whole very well).

Not trying to start a fight here, just wondering why you said what you did.

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Re: Your too skinny!! [callidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am generalizing, what I have seen in my travels and life around europe, and comparing mainly from what I've seen in 10+ years on the eastcoast of the us. Not one city, country, and least of all, all of the entire 'europe' and the european contingent, has uniform eating habits. You cannot say 'europeans' have healthier eating habits. Perhaps the proportion of 'europeans' you know vs the proportion of 'americans' have different eating habits. However, based on statistical information, as well as health stats and my own general observation, I disagree that being 'european' somehow bestows upon you better eating habits. If you have been to the UK recently, you might notice that the proportion of overweight people is approaching or is similar to that in the US. My generation of folks anywhere I go in europe has a similar diet anywhere I look, regardless of the country. My 2years in germany did not convince me that people there eat healthier food. Just smaller portions. Fast food and prepackaged meals are becoming increasing entrenched as daytoday food, in western and eastern europe. Granted, it may not be as bad yet as most part of the US, but it is getting there. Plus, even tradional 'european' food in many countries was never healthy to start with, with the exception of the mediterranean areas like southern france italy spain. You may effectively argue that the mediterranean diet around there is for the most part healthier. But have you been to rural parts of Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Germany, Hungary? There is a big difference between the food people eat in cities and in rural areas, as well as between the mediterranean and parts of eu north of it. Comparing statistical information, average europeans do not have better eating habits, but mainly eat smaller portions, and spend more time/day walking or cycling to work and errands than americans.

Anyway, it always cracks me up how americans think all europeans are somehow healthier and/or somehow more enlightened on diet. Has not been my experience. Maybe I should move to portugal :)
Quote Reply
Re: Your too skinny!! [Ziva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

First off, I agree with what you said.

I think this is key "average europeans do not have better eating habits, but mainly eat smaller portions, and spend more time/day walking or cycling to work and errands than americans".

Europeans may not eat better (and by that I mean consciously eat the correct amount of carbs/protein/good fats etc) but they do eat less - which could also fall under the category of 'eating correctly'. You need to know when you've had enough - and just because it's put infront of you doesn't mean you have to eat it.

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Last edited by: callidus: Sep 23, 05 2:08
Quote Reply
Re: Your too skinny!! [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is not skinny. this is "normal". you will find the same FOPers, MOPers and BOPers in the body-fat-chart. ;-)

FOPers have 6-9% of body fat
Quote Reply
Re: Your too skinny!! [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excuse me Smartass... but why are you so fat? :-)

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Your too skinny!! [aus_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you may have something there. Now to clarify the only one that has license to comment on my physique is my sweetie pie. After all she has to look at it the most and she always has my best interests at heart. But other than her if someone says I am too skinny they best be ready because I will reply back in kind. If the original comment is made in a soft tone then so will my retort. But if it's harsh I will a snappy comment or two ready to go.

By the way I went to Rugby practice last night and the one of the Irish guys there said "Damn you look fit!" It made my practice.

Rover
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sounds good.... i will report back to the forum as soon as i receive my first chance to ask this to anyone... this is going to be fun :-)

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Your too skinny!! [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]While I agree that smoking may have a part in explaining why Europeans are generally thinner, I don't think it is the main parameter, nor do I think that "eating nothing" is. They just do tend to have healthier eating habits there.[/reply]

I totally agree. Less fast food, smaller portions, less car-driven lifestyle.

And I am NOT skinny for a triathlete, but at work everyone has started commenting on how skinny I am getting (not yet, IMO). At least they see first hand that the change comes from working out and not eating crap and nothing magical.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Your too skinny!! [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good for you Cathy ;-)! That's great to hear and your should be proud.

I bet you are going to do great in Kona...we will all be rooting for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rover, I love to hang around fellow athletes because they totally understand what it is to be fit vs. skinny. One of the moms on my daughter's softball team is a PT assistant (her husband used to pitch for the Oakland A's several years ago) and she said to me one time when we were discussing weight issues that skinniness is a lack of muscle tone, especially in women and you can usually see it around the sternum area and the upper arms.

Anyway I just about hugged her when she said that I looked fit vs skinny. It was like, finally someone I know gets it!! I normally try not to dwell on my weight, but this is a sore subject with me. As a female, this is a larger issue for us because of societal perceptions.
Quote Reply
Re: Your too skinny!! [speedy_dave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i think your scale is off. MOST triathletes underestimate their bodyfat percentage.

i'm 5'10". 158lbs.

i'm also solid muscle - you can even see the veins in my abs, i'm that lean.

and , i'm around 13% bodyfat - based on scientific methods (hydrostatic / bod pod).
Yeah... I'm laughing at some of those body fat percentage claims... Tanita must be selling a lot of scales ;-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next