Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Knee trashed, no running, need alternatives [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this tip (unloader brace). I had not heard of this. Going to send info to my doc and pt and see what they say. Might it enable even moderate running? You know anyone using it?
Quote Reply
Re: Knee trashed, no running, need alternatives [surfnrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Below are some things that sorta worked for me:

Learn to run in vibrams, fixes your gait.
Run in Hokas for distance
Medial unloader brace
High tibial osteonomy, worked for me.

Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Knee trashed, no running, need alternatives [felt4fun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The unloader brace is a solution I was not aware of. I have looked into it, sent the info to my doctor. He said they used to recommend them a lot, but stopped because of price and there were folks saying they were either cumbersome or did not help. Nevertheless, he said I would be a good candidate because I am so desperate to run again.

Has anyone used them with success?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might consider stem cell & prp. I had meniscus In one knee snipped at age 58. The good leg compensated for several years and eventually had meniscus issues too. But doc said quit running do yoga but arthritis made bending knee very painful. This at 64. So the emory healthcare group started doing stem cells about the same time and I got stem cell and subsequent prp and could not be more pleased. But I took about 9 mos. for stem cell to work their magic. I am now running fairly well in sprint distance races which sooths my urge to stay in triathlon lifestyle. It is worth exploring. Coupled with muscle imbalance work and I hope to be racing to age 75 or so. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Deep water running?, not really a hobby as it's boring but it is the same running movements...

Walking/hiking seems the best option, being outside is good for the soul :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfnrun wrote:

Anyone know anything about Subchondroplasty. Dr. Vaughn at Stanford is starting to use it on knees.

Can you please give an update? Did you have the subchondroplasty? Are you back to running?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW i have experienced and witnessed in other athletes that using the elliptical is a great alternative to running.

When I can’t run i do elliptical instead. Used it as an alternative to running because of injury to prep for marathon in the past.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfnrun wrote:
After 20 years of marathons and triathlons, and a lifetime of running, found out yesterday after a year of rehab and a meniscus repair that I have "medial overload syndrome." Doc says no running for 6 months, marathon days are over, and maybe even running forever.

I can bike and swim, but don't love that like I do running. I need to be outdoors, I need to move, and I need an efficient form of exercise. Can't beat putting on the shoes after a long day and heading out.

I am going to have to revamp my entire exercise lifestyle, and I am looking for suggestions for how to get that cardio fix. I have a bike trainer, a rowing machine, and access to a pool. That is all fine, but my hardest and most satisfying workouts were always the runs...I am a runner.

Any suggestions? Others been through this?

Like many said... get a 2nd opinion. If you're with Kaiser and moving to NorCal go see Jason Brayley. He's the chief of sports medicine for Kaiser, an amazing doctor (including being the head physicians for several pro athletes and the Sacramento Kings) and an athlete himself.
After I broke my patella my first doctor told me that the only thing I should do for the next 8 weeks was sitting on the couch with Netflix and that I shouldn't count on running/cycling competitively again. Brayley had the polar opposite attitude and my knee is as good as new.
For me, my return to running was first pretty much exclusively on trails, less pounding, slower running (not easier though!) and varied movements patterns have been good for me (but my injury was much different). I'm back on pavement too and so far so good.
Otherwise if you're moving to NorCal, MTB seems like a great replacement if you love the outdoors.
Quote Reply
Re: Knee trashed, no running, need alternatives [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trev wrote:
don't really understand why he objects to cycling but it does make my knee hurt...

That's probably why.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfnrun wrote:
After 20 years of marathons and triathlons, and a lifetime of running, found out yesterday after a year of rehab and a meniscus repair that I have "medial overload syndrome." Doc says no running for 6 months, marathon days are over, and maybe even running forever.

I can bike and swim, but don't love that like I do running. I need to be outdoors, I need to move, and I need an efficient form of exercise. Can't beat putting on the shoes after a long day and heading out.

I am going to have to revamp my entire exercise lifestyle, and I am looking for suggestions for how to get that cardio fix. I have a bike trainer, a rowing machine, and access to a pool. That is all fine, but my hardest and most satisfying workouts were always the runs...I am a runner.

Any suggestions? Others been through this?

You simply need to swim more. You can wear your body out more in the pool than in any other form of exercise b/c you are literally using ALL the muscles in your body. Take a few lessons and learn to swim all 4 strokes. Get some fins, paddles, and a pull buoy to help you learn to pull and kick efficiently. Build up to 6000m in the pool and then you'll prob be so tired you can barely stand up in the shower, and you'll fall asleep during dinner. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply

Prev Next