Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Joe Bonness [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m resurrecting a real old post, but want to point out that Joe Bonness shows up as registered for the 2005 Nationals at KC. This may answer the question of how he rates against the best short course competitors. I wonder if there will be others who try to combine the ITU Worlds and IM Kona into one trip.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Bonness [JDub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's great, lets see if he shows up. Unfortunately, more than likely most of the best guys in the age group won't be there, since they have already qualifyied at last years nationals. Should be a good field anyway, and besides, maybe a few of the qualifyiers will show up anyway. As for doing back to back races, we all used to do that every year at the Kauai Loves you Tri the week before Ironman. And that race was closer to a half. I think Molina won them both the year he won the Ironman. It's really no big deal to do the races, the hard part is qualifying for both of them. Hope he can do it.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joe not show up for a race he's entered? This is a man who raced St Anthony's 3 days after fracturing his collar bone. The only race he's ever entered and not shown up for was Eagleman in 2003 and that was 2 days after my kidney/pancreas transplant (and I gave him a note).

Unless he's injured, (or I am) he'll be in KC. He will be the first to admit he is not as competitive at the shorter distances, but he will be in the 50-54 AG. Joe is going to Nationals in hopes of qualifying for Worlds in Honolulu. The ideas is not to win, just try to qualify for Worlds. Kona will still be the "A" race.

As far as back to backs, I think his record shows he can handle a Oly the week before a IM. I am sure there will be quite a few others.

Whether or not he qualifies, we will be in Honolulu for the Worlds.

Now, can we let this old thread die?

Support Crew

Behind every successful man is a woman nagging him along.

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Bonness [support crew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I think his record shows he can handle a Oly the week before a IM.[/reply]

Heck, Joe can handle an IM a week before an IM.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]
but he will be in the 50-54 AG. Joe is going to Nationals in hopes of qualifying for Worlds [/reply]

Joe's aged up?!! That's GREAT news! On behalf of everyone in your former age group, Happy Birthday Joe!

Mike (M45-49)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As for being the best agegrouper, I think I would have to give that to Jeff Cuddeback now. He crushed Joe and all the over 40 guys at Ironman this year,while setting a new 45-49 record.He can also race at all distances.
I agree with you that Jeff Cuddeback is one of the other great age groupers. Until last year he owned three age group records at Ironman Hawaii! I don't think Cuddeback was at IM Hawaii in 2004, when Bonness took down one of his age group records. I recall searching for his name and not finding it in the results. Bonness breaking an already impressive age group record on such an incredibly tough year is darn impressive. I've been impressed with his drive and results for many years.

Quote | Reply
<< I don't think Cuddeback was at IM Hawaii in 2004, when Bonness took down one of his age group records.

not sure which record you are referring to? Jeff set the 45 - 49 age group record of 9:12:09 in 2003. Joe did a 9:49:42 to win the 45 - 49 age group in 2004. Not real sure of the actual records, the Ironmanlive website is a bitch to navigate and actually find what you are looking for.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Bonness [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would second the "all around good guy" vibes. The morning after IMNZ '99 I was hobbling around the parking lot of the hotel, trying to figure out how I was going to move that day without a cane or crutches. Joe was lacing up his shoes and going out for his traditional recovery run. He invited me along, despite my obvious acute lameness. I declined and we spent several minutes discussing my race. He was very gracious and enthused about my finish, which was awfully close to 17 hours !

Tony Verow MD
Durango, CO 81301
Averow@bresnan.net
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Bonness [Football Mom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to second what Mike Plumb alluded to here, I don't believe any of Cuddeback's records have been broken. As for him not being in Hawaii last year, he goes every few years to hammer down a new age group record, and then gets back to a normal season and being with his family. He's a real nice guy who just can't devote every year to Ironman stuff. Even Joe has to have a short season to do so well at just a couple of races. I mean, that's tough to do a couple Ironmans, but to do really well at them is remarkable....Monty
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Bonness [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DOH - That's what I get for trying to look smart late at night without my reference material in front of me. You're correct....Jeff Cuddeback's records are all intact for 35-39, 40-44 and 45-49. Joe Bonness didn't break the record but did blow the doors off of his competitors.

The age group I was mistaking it for was Yves Tabarant taking down the old 55-59 record of 10:22:08 with his 9:53:14. Second in his age group was Duncan Thomas (who owns the current 50-54 age group record) with a 10:48:53.

Thank you Monty and Mike for correcting me so nicely. :-)

Quote | Reply
you know it's always hard when it comes to correcting your mom ;-)

Didn't want to take anything away from two exceptional athletes though.

Quote Reply
Re: Joe Bonness [Mike in Wichita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bad news- looks like Joe is registered as 49 for the nationals. The way I understand it, he's probably racing the national championships in the 45-49 group, but will "age up" into the 50-54 group for Team USA. So Mike, you might be in his wave if you race this event. But since 50 is an important birthday, I'd guess that Support Crew is planning a birthday party and has inside info the party date. The good news- maybe you and Monty will be invited!
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Bonness [Threadkiller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the good news is that I am only 44, so will be racing in the 40 - 44 age group. But since I turn 45 before the end of the year, I will racing for a slot in the 45 - 49 age group. Never been one to turn away from a challenge though.

Quote Reply
Re: Joe Bonness [Football Mom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the secret to Joe's time management skills -- he doesn't waste 2 hours per day on Slowtwitch but lets his wife gather in the important news/rumors!

FIST Certified Fitter
Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Bonness [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does that work over in the US? I thought age groups were by year. If you were born in 1960 you will be racing in the 45-49 AG the entire year, doesn't matter if your birthday is on December 31st.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Bonness [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
at most races in the US you race according to your age on the day of the race, Hawaii included. But at Worlds you race according to your age on December 31st of that year.

Quote Reply
Re: Joe Bonness [ssn759co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the secret to Joe's time management skills -- he doesn't waste 2 hours per day on Slowtwitch but lets his wife gather in the important news/rumors!

You nailed that one! I also do all the entries, travel arrangements, research and of course, rumor control. I'm even sometimes a sponsorship agent, but I'm not very good at it. It all has the added benefit of keeping me out of trouble while I wait for him to come home from work and training. :-)

The party is in the planning. The Big day is Sept 20th. The party will be here in Naples and if anyone wants to come, seriously, drop me a PM. The more the merrier.

I still don't understand the USAT age group rule. You race in the age you are race day, but qualify in the older age group?

Support Crew

Behind every successful man is a woman nagging him on.

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Last edited by: support crew: Mar 12, 05 7:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the nationals, you compete in the age group you belong to on the day of the race. But if you have a birthday and move into the next age group between the time you qualify and Dec 31 of that year, you bump into the next age group for the worlds. That's why for those on the bubble, it's confusing to figure out immediately after the race if you made it or not...there may some guys who finished ahead of you in your group who bump out into the older section, but there are surely some in the younger age group who bump into your age group. Joe won't have that problem. Hey Support Crew, Joe and I have something in common. Well.... I'm not a world class age grouper, but I was born in September '55. If I see you in KC, we can all have a pre AARP birthday beer together.
Quote Reply

Prev Next