Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My first Ironman
Quote | Reply
Having competed in some long distance races, IM Florida was to be my first Ironman distance race. Even though the last week before travelling to the US was very stressful because I had to redo all the travel arrangements, preparation for the race had been almost perfect in the last few months. I completed a very solid block of training and I felt confident and at the same time afraid of the Ironman.

RACE WEEK: On the monday before the race I travelled to the US, first from Lisbon to Paris, then Paris-Atlanta and finally Atlanta-Tallahassee. At the airport Geoff Layne e Michele White, my hosts for the week, picked me up. I have to say that Geoff e Michele were simply spectacular. They made me feel right at home and I was able to relax and focus on the upcoming race. Race week went by very well, I tried to rest and do the training I had scheduled. This was my first time in the US and everything looked very new and different to me, but I tried just to go through the motions in order to stay focused on the race. I was able to get online and it was good to stay in touch with the people back home. I received some emails from teammates encoraging me for the race and was able to chat with my coach.

RACE MORNING: Because I travelled west for the race, getting used to the early start time was easy. I was able to get some sleep and woke up at 3AM for my usual race day breakfast.

THE SWIM: Floating in the water waiting for the start I didn’t know whether I should feel lucky the pros had a head start or not. Swimming being not my strong point, and with very choppy conditions, I knew that 1000m into the race the first AG would be swimming over me. The gun went off and after 3-4 mins I knew I was right. AG swimmers swam over me left and right and from then on the swim was in survival mode. After the first lap I realized that I wasn’t going as bad as I feared because I entered the water again along with Steve Larsen, which me and my coach figured would swim around the 56min mark. The second lap was more of the same and on exiting the water again I felt I had lost time. I was very happy when I saw the clock though: 56min and change.

THE BIKE: Once on the bike I tried to get into my rythm fast. Getting the HR down and waiting for the usual time to start drinking and eating. I didn’t feel so good in the first one and a half hours. But afterwards the nutrition started to kick in and I felt just great. I rode within myself, just doing things according to plan. Because of the stagger rule I rode on the left most of the time, since along with me rode some age-groupers. In the pack rode Alejandro Santamaria who had beat me 2 months ago in a LD race in Spain. Alejandro didn’t seem to understand the stagger rule and was later DQ’ed. The marshalls did an excellent job and everybody was riding clean. Around the 120km mark we caught Jonas Colting who stayed with us. I felt just great and with 20km to go I got away from the pack and rode away. I looked at my HRM and saw I had done around 4:50. I just thought to myself “Good bike leg and I feel good for the run...”

THE RUN: Since I got into triathlons three years ago my dream has always been of doing an Ironman. And almost since then my coach has said over and over again “Anyone that can run under 3 hours will end up on the top-10 of ANY Ironman race”. With that thought I hit the run course. I had the notion I was just outside the top-20 and was determined to make up some ground. As soon as I started to run I felt good and got into my stride pretty quickly. Even feeling great I focused on keeping my nutrition on track. The running felt so easy I couldn’t believe it! The run course is two laps and I really shocked myself when I saw the time for the first half: 1:20! With the course being marked in miles and not kms like I’m used to, I guess I didn’t realize just how fast I was going! After realizing this, which really was my only rookie mistake of the day, I slowed down a bit thinking that I would go through a bad patch sooner or later. Still I was passing runners and I passed Steve Larsen right at the begining of the second lap. All these guys that I know only from the Net and magazines, now I was among them, I felt very excited. At the final turnaround I saw that I was less than a minute from Dave Harju! But by then I started to pay the price for that fast first half and started to fade.Around the 20mile mark I started to feel tired and the last 6 miles were a struggle. I could only mantain 7:30mile pace and the only thought on my mind was to get to the finish. When I passed the clock in the last mile it read 8:37 and I just thought “Only 7:30min to go, I’m going to do a great time!!!”. Going through the finish line chute I just felt so happy! Tired but SO HAPPY!!!! The race annoucer called out my name and I crossed the line. Right after I crossed it, Michele caught me as I felt a bit dizzy. I just asked her my placing and couldn’t believe it when she said “Seventh, you got 7th place!!!”.

The day after I attended the awards ceremony and the only bad part of this wonderful dream. I had to pass down my Hawaii Ironman spot since it would be too expensive for me to travel to the race next year, racing in Florida was already very difficult. Ironman is not very popular in Portugal so it’s hard to get sponsorship and the Federation only supports Olympic athletes. I guess I’ll have to postpone that dream, which might be good, in 2005 I’ll be in Kona to compete! :-)

Right now it’s been almost 48 hours since I finished the race and I only got 4 hours of sleep, I feel SO great! :-)

I have a bunch of people I want to thank: My family, my (smartass)coach, all the guys from the team, Helder for all the help in preparing the trip and for giving me a kickboard for the first time less than 3 years ago :-)

Also my sponsors: Profile Design, Fuel Belt, X-Terra wetsuits that believed in me even without a big race resume. I especially want to thank Frank Rehnelt for providing me a Renn disc for me to race in since the rear wheel I had borrowed from a friend was a Corima 4-spoke. And also thank John Cobb for helping out when me and Frank were wondering how to make a Shimano 9-speed work with Campagnolo 10-speed. “DO NOTHING” he said and guess what… it worked! :-).

I guess its all for now :-)

Sergio Marques

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Last edited by: sergio: Nov 10, 03 11:23
Quote Reply
Re: My first Ironman [sergio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sergio,

Wonderful race report and congratulations on a great race!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: My first Ironman [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! It sounds like you had a wonderful time...and wonderful results!

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow... your run time was fantastic! Congratulations on a great race. I hope I'm that happy when I finish my first IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nicely done. You've got the goods Sergio! 1:20 for the first 1/2 of the marathon puts you in a very elite company. Hope is a wonderful thing.

Regards

Chappy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I especially want to thank Frank Rehnelt for providing me a Renn disc for me to race in since the rear wheel I had borrowed from a friend was a Corima 4-spoke. And also thank John Cobb for helping out when me and Frank were wondering how to make a Shimano 9-speed work with Campagnolo 10-speed. “DO NOTHING” he said and guess what… it worked! :-). "

First of all, my congratulations to Sergio. It seems he may be one of the up and comers in the sport. But my question is--How did a Shimano 9-speed compatible disk work with a Campy 10-speed drivetrain? I have the same problem in looking for a Campy 10-speed compatible disk. It seems it's either a Zipp at $1200 or a Ghibli at $1900. Is there anything in the affordable category or any kind of converter/adapter for non-Campy compatible disks? Or, could I just get a Renn and lose one of my 10 rear cog options?
Quote Reply
Re: My first Ironman [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!!!

It seems that the only difference is that you loose a gear with the shimano 9 speed cassette, in other words there is a extra "click" on the 10 speed bar end shifters that you will not use, every thing remains the same, and it shifts like you had a 10 speed cassette.

There are also lots of 10 speed cassette that are shimano compatible.

Anyway there will be a campy compatible hub on the RENN disk so i think that it will be worth waiting for that.

Sergio Marques

S�rgio Marques
Sergio-Marques.com
Last edited by: sergio: Nov 12, 03 11:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info and good luck in your future races. I'm sorry I didn't get over to Panama City to watch IMFL. I am only about 100 mi. away from there. Did a nice group ride Saturday morning, though. Beautiful weather except for a little north wind. Almost ideal race conditions. I imagine that helped the times some.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good Job!

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: My first Ironman [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah!! Rob did a nice job with the race report, and i had never imagined that i would have a race report at XTRI.

I´m thinking in racing again in USA at the 2004 mid season, this of course if i have the bucks for the travel. Can anyone suggest a nice Ironman race by that time, there are a few ironmans in USA by that time.

Ironman wisconsin 2004 has slots for hawaii 2004 or hawaii 2005?

Sergio

S�rgio Marques
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sergio

Congrats on a great race. Ironman Wisconsin 2004 qualifies you for 2005 in Kona. Its a nice race, hilly bike course. I did it last year and will do it again in 2004.

Ed

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply