Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speedwork Question
Quote | Reply
I've done a lot of running over the past three years, but have to admit that I just started doing speedwork recently. Yesterday I had to do 10x400's. I run on a gravel trail that has a marker every quarter mile, so I would sprint a 1/4 and walk a 1/4 and repeat. Walking that quarter mile in between is obviously a bit too cushy, but when I finish a 1/4 mile sprint, I'm about to die. So I don't mind walking a 1/4 to get ready for the next. Is there a negative impact of letting my heart rate drop that low before doing the next? I feel like I should walk maybe 100 yards and then do a slow jog to the next marker before sprinting again, but if I am still getting most of the benefit from the sprints, I'd like to keep walking in between. Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Speedwork Question [BeeHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you'd be better served by an easy jog rather than a walk. Conventional wisdom says your recovery period should be the same duration as your hard interval.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello,

My best suggestion is to get a book titled Daniels Running Formula. It explains what different interval lengths and rests are supposed to do. If you are trying to build up "race pace speed" (my term) a slower speed on the run and a shorter fast speed on the rest would probably be more beneficial. If you are trying to develop top end speed for final sprints or building musculer strength then what you are doing is fine, sometimes you even want to get as much rest as you want before starting the next interval.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Speedwork Question [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only reason I am doing this speedwork is that it is on my new training schedule for a marathon in Dec. I really hate it, but know it is the only way to get faster. My current marathon PR is 3:51 (twice) on hilly courses. I'm shooting for 3:45 on a flatter course, so I think the speekwork will help with maintaining my pace. I really hate reading in my free time. Does this book have lots of pictures?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am just starting to work in speed intervals as well and did a similar workout yesterday with similar results (actually along a similar path). I could do nothing but suck wind after a 1/4 mile, once I caught at least enough breath that I didn't think I was going to die I would jog a quarter and do it again.

I think I was running the 1/4's to fast but if felt good to run as hard as I could. Interested in what people say here. I think I'd have a hard time going from walking to sprinting. After catching my breath the light quarter mile jog feels good on my legs and lungs.

Funny aside: A lady actually stopped to see if I was alright after my last 1/4 mile. I must have looked close to death. It was obvious the tiny dog she was walking was very concerned about me....

------------------------------------------------------------

"He broke into the long easy lope, and went on, hour after hour, never at loss for the tangled way, heading straight home through strange country with a certitude of direction that put man and his magnetic needle to shame."

-Call of the Wild
Quote Reply
Re: Speedwork Question [MtTamRnr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's funny you mention that - a little kid was being pulled in a wagon behind his mother. He heard me sprinting up behind him and when he turned around and saw me coming, he screamed and started crying. I think he saw the pain in my face and felt that sorry for me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always do my speedwork on the track. I do 800's most of the time. I like to be fully recovered before starting the next interval or else I don't feel like I can have good form during the next one. I also don't do them full out. They're very hard, but not at top speed. I do my 800's in about 4:00 and take a 1:30 rest in between. If I'm fully recovered before the 1:30, then I start early.

I'll be interested to hear what some of the coaches say about what you're doing. I'm also curious why you're doing such short intervals for marathon training. I've read that you should do 800's or more.

Dawn
Quote Reply
Re: Speedwork Question [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was just one of the speed workouts. They change them up from week to week (400's, 800's, 1200's and I think there are even mile intervals). I'm trying that 3-day a week "less is more" training program that was in last months Runner's World.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedwork Question [MtTamRnr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should have told her that there was a big-ass dog on the loose chasing you for the last two miles and that she should start running too! Too funny.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedwork Question [XXX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or maybe I'm just that ugly?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doing 400s at VO2 effort will not help you as much as doing some strength work such as 800s, miles, and 2 mile repeats. 400s are great, but IMO there are better ways to prepare for a marathon. Here is an article I wrote a few years ago - not sure this will help you but it might...

http://www.d3multisport.com/...s/marathonsteps.html

Mike Ricci
2017 USAT World Team Coach
USAT National Coach of the Year
Coaching Triathletes since 1992.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello,

If you are training for a marathon in decembe I would skip the top end quarters. Do more intervals in the 1K to 1500M range. If you've done a recent 5 or 10 k race aim for a pace in the middle. 5 or more repeats with a 1-2 minute jog in between should work. Other good workouts would be on long run every 2 weeks and one run each week (either your longest run or second longest if you are doing another long run) at marathon pace.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Speedwork Question [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is what I was doing in the past. I ran 7 marathons in the past 2 years following Hal Higdon's intermediate plans. There was no real speedwork at all, so this is new to me. I also run a lot of 10K's throughout the year and used that as my only speedwork. I did a 10K last week (US 10K Classic), which is a hilly kick in the nuts! As I was telling DawnT - I am not only doing 400's. I am doing weekly my long runs at a faster pace already, so maybe this is working.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chances are, the 400s are improving your run economy, so yes, it is probably helping. Since I haven't ever seen you run, I don't know how good or poor your run form is...but improving your economy is huge. What is your latest 10k time on a fair course. Not a kick in the nuts course....

Mike Ricci
Quote Reply
Re: Speedwork Question [Mike Ricci] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About 44-46 minutes. That's having never done speedwork. My form is horrible. My feet kind of stick out when I walk or run so I'm sure I look like a goofball when I run. And when I'm spent late in a race - it gets worse. I was working on good form last year and started having major knee problems. I was trying to keep my feet pointed straighter, but my kneecap fell off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am talking more about body lean, arm swing, toe off, hip rotation, core strength. Running is a bit more complex then most people think. IF I knew how to post a pic, I would show you what I mean....

Mike Ricci
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have to agree that a slow jog should be the recovery...

JC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From here your marathon should be 3:35 http://www.runningtimes.com/pace/predict.htm

Now the drop off that you experience could be a function of economy and/or endurance. Sounds like both the way you describe it.

Mike Ricci
Quote Reply