Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nailing the marathon at IM Wisco: A how-to guide
Quote | Reply
Ok, so you are an IM athlete with ~10 hour fitness, and you are looking to really nail the marathon for once. You sign up for Wisconsin, figuring that it has to be cool one of these years. Then you hear the report that it is going to be blistering hot again. While you could pace the race smart and hope that you don’t still have a meltdown, you know that even if you place well your time is going to be slow, and there is NO WAY you are going to get that IM marathon PR. Or is there?

Why has the marathon at IMW been so bloody tough? 1. The bike is bloody tough and folks dig a big hole for themselves and then immediately try to run a marathon. 2. Most athletes start the marathon in the hottest part of the day. Take these elements out of the equation and you can nail that IM marathon.

Here’s what you do:
  1. Warm up with a nice 1:20 swim. Sure you can swim the hour, but who cares about your swim time – you want to have a fast marathon, not a fast swim. Just be careful not to fall asleep – that might be dangerous.
  2. Take 10 minutes in T1 – no need to rush. Make sure you have lots of sunscreen on. Maybe even wear a little white mesh tent around you to keep the sun away. It won’t be aero, but you don’t care about your bike split – you want to run a fast marathon
  3. Drink adequately, and pour lots of cold water over yourself at aid stations. Those behind you may suffer the consequences if the RD didn’t go overboard on the fluids, but that’s not your problem.
  4. Roll into T2 after 6:30 or so of riding. You are capable of 5:20-5:30, so this should be a breeze. Ok, maybe the tent thing would slow things down real bad, but you probably ditched it in Mt. Horeb on loop 1.
  5. Now, here’s the trick: It’s 3pm and like 90 million degrees outside. You have just come in 2.5 hours before the bike cutoff. The rules state that you don’t have to finish the race until MIDNIGHT (9 hours away). And to boot, you are sitting inside an AIR CONDITIONED Convention Centre. Stay there.

5 a) Take 30 minutes to drink some fluids and ice your legs. If possible arrange an ice bath.

5 b) Get a light massage from the race massage people and, now that your hr has come down, eat a proper recovery meal. You might want to pack this in your T2 bag.

5 c) Sleep for a few hours

5 d) Wake up at 7pm and have a bit more to eat, but not too much. Get some more fluids in

5 e) Have the race volunteers bring in your bike so you can mount it on the trainer you have tied to your T2 bag. Do a nice light spin to loosen up those legs.

5f) Head out into the hallway near the exit and do some running drills and a few strides to get you set to run. You could do this outside, but the sun is still setting and you are trying to enjoy the air conditioning a bit more.
  6. At approximately 8pm, with 4 hours to go until the cutoff, you line up in front of the timing mat ready to rock. Now is your chance, go for it! Just be sure to watch out for all those late finishing athletes who had to deal with empty aid stations on the bike (it would not be wise to explain why).

Ok, I think need to go to bed…

Are YOU in the Zone?
http://www.discomfortzone.com
Quote Reply
Re: Nailing the marathon at IM Wisco: A how-to guide [mcoughlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey dude,

how 'bout this for a way to run better at IM wisco....

... ride more in May. (oh yea and Feb, March, April, June and July)
Quote Reply
Re: Nailing the marathon at IM Wisco: A how-to guide [mcoughlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very interesting approach. Based on anothers persons game plan, and you input, the first two sections for the swim and bike are my plans for californiaman IM. I do not plan to have times, since this will be my first IM distance race. But, I plan to swim at a controlled pace. 1:20 seems like a good goal. I plan the take the bike balanced. Again, your 6:30 seems like a good goal. Now, since our weather is generally not as difficult in Calif. as back east, I plan to go out on the run with the gallaway method. Run a controlled mile, then walk a minute or so. Do this until mile 18 and see how I feel. Bill from TBF racing's input to me at their Granite Bay race on Sunday, after 5 IM's, is the race does not start until mile 20 of the marathon.

So, I go in with the goal to finish. Based on the number of posts from folks of DNF'ed at IMWI, your 3rd step plan based on the weather seems like something some folks may want to consider for next year, or any place that gets real hot. I would rather finish in 16:59:59 than DNF.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sweet... With a strategy like this we could have a Bjorn like run split.

And to think that people say that nutrition is the 4th event... Now I can totally see that transitions are the real key to success.

;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only problem with that is that you have to leave T2 by 6 PM I think.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Nailing the marathon at IM Wisco: A how-to guide [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Problem? I see no problem...

"5 c) Sleep for a few hours "

You know, just roll out your thermarest in the transition area and catch a few Z's. You might want ear plugs though, so that nobody disturbs your rest.
Quote Reply
Re: Nailing the marathon at IM Wisco: A how-to guide [paulgraham.ca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
sweet... With a strategy like this we could have a Bjorn like run split.

;)

Oh you mean his DNF run split at IMWI 2005?

Bjorn should know better.

--------------------------------

2 Ironmans in 1 Week

Quote Reply
Re: Nailing the marathon at IM Wisco: A how-to guide [Steve-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I meant that you could be a Run stud like Bjorn is a bike stud.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great story.

You know, when I group of friends and I first went to Ironman Hawaii to race a number of years ago, we thought about the same thing. We figured - bag the marathon run at 1:00pm in the middle of the afternoon heat. Just wait in T2 until the sun starts to go down and the temprature moderates and then head out for the run.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply