Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

imwi rr
Quote | Reply
because of work i came into the race very undertrained and scared. my biggest motivater was a bet i made with a friend. i got 5 to 1 odds, i go under 11 and i get $500, over 11 i pay $100. i figured if everything went perfect and the conditions fast, i could do it. the conditions on race day didn't help. my plan was: hour swim, off the bike just under the seven hour mark and shuffle a four hour marathon. i have swum 52 in the past but my times in the pool told me to take it very easy on the swim. i started the swim to the extreme right (furthest from the bouys) and other then the first 100m never got touched. starting in this spot allowed me to start out very slowly and i never overheated even with a long sleave suit. i stood up at 1.01 and change feeling i went too slow. my other big "plan" was to race happy; so, after 10 seconds of telling myself i had gone too slow i told myself i have never heard anyone complain of going too easy on the swim later in the marathon. got through t1 in about 6 minutes and bombed down the helix. fun. took the first ten miles very easy and downed two bottles of gatorade, had one e-gel and started some salt. every aid station i took a bottle of gatorade and two waters (one for the cage the other went over my head). the first lap was very uneventful other then watching people go by me like i was standing still. started the second lap feeling good and i was not getting passed as much and i even started to passed some people already that looked completely crushed. only events on the second lap are two pee breaks and seeing a guy go down in front of me. stopped to see if he was okay. he finally said he was and i told him i would go up the road for help (he later went on to beat me). by the time i got to the next corner they had already received the news and on the way to help. (the best people/ volunteers i have ever seen). got to t2 with some cramps but feeling good after the last 12 miles of strong tailwind. changing in the room i asked the nice guy helping me what time it was (i wasn't wearing a watch). 2:05 he said. okay, i'm still in the game. ran the first two miles with a guy that had gps. he said we were running 8:45s. oops...slow down. had a bad patch at about mile 11 and thought of bailing knowing my $500 was out of reach after doing a few slow walk/run miles. hit the turn and started to feel better. the only event on the run happened when i realized the ice i was putting down my shorts had numbed my "parts" to a painful state. once "little willy" thawed i realized i had to pee.....badly. shuffled on in, walking all the up grades. crossed at 11:33 feeling happy but $100 poorer. went to the med tent for a check and they told me i lost 3 lbs. i finally started to look around.........wow. this was a tough race. people laying around in all states of distress. i've been racing for 20 years and have seen alot. this was a very tough race for anyone. the people of madison must be very proud of the people they have as volunteers. the best. thanks, frank
Last edited by: Frank Rehnelt: Sep 14, 05 8:15
Quote Reply
Re: imwi rr [Frank Rehnelt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm actually glad to read a IMWI RR in a positive-note! :)

Congrats for racing right on such a tough day!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frank,

Nice job...sub 12:00 on that day and that course. Great...

I am surprised your post got to the third page without anyone asking you if you used a disc! :)

So...did you?

Mark

(Owner of a "factory second" (because the paint color was a bit off) Renn disc that cost all of $250.00 and performs like a million....)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, almost missed this one. Very nice job---thanks for sharing.

Signed up for next year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

> wow. this was a tough race. people laying around in all states of distress. i've been racing for 20 years and have seen alot. this was a very tough race for anyone. the people of madison must be very proud of the people they have as volunteers. the best. thanks, frank

Found this on letsrun.com:
http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=1026527&page=2
me and my watch
RE: Masters weekend races and runs.. 9/12/2005 8:20AM - in reply to Old Man By The Sea Reply | Return to Index | Report Post
I volunteered my Ski Patrol/Outdoor Emergency Care Technician skills at the ironman here yesterday. It was like 95 degrees and windy and sunny, but the worst part was the wind. Here are some approximate stats, from my view in the medical tent: 2200 starts. 400 dropped out on the bike. At least 500 went through the medical tent. People would crawl into the medical tent, vomit, pass out, and get carted to the hospital. Here is what I did: since ski patrol includes basic EMT, I worked triage. They brought people from the finish line, and by ambulance from the course, and by gator from all over the finish line area. First we'd weigh them- and get a chart started. With their numbers we'd find their medical history, compare their finish weight to their start weight, and decide treatment. Down 5 pounds, but feeling sick and dizzy and nausea- we'd give them water, sit them down, and keep them under observation. Once in a while one of these would just pass out- very exciting. Down 10-15 pounds, and they'd get sent to one of 12 pods (each pod had 10 beds) and a medical team of doctor, nurse, paramedic, and emt, for IV and more evaluation. Down more than 15- UGLY. 10 of us working triage, and we each caught at least 5 people who'd just pass out. Sometimes they'd come in, say, "I feel wierd," or say nothing at all, and they'd just be gone. I don't know how many lost conciousness, but I'd bet at least 50, and that was just at triage. People were having seizures, going unconscious, being completely out but with their eyes wide open (very wierd at first, but after a while you get used to it, almost like it's normal). All the normal protocols were thrown away- it was strictly triage, strictly a quick evaluation, set of vitals, and on to treatment. For some, who had actually gained weight- that could be very bad. Too much salt, or not enought salt, and too much retained water, so blood work and care to not drown them in their own skulls.

I've done a few triathlons but just for fun- even a half-ironman (but just for fun, on a normal road bike on a normal cool august wisconsin day). But the people doing this ironman thing- I'd say, totally nuts. A lot of them were just plain stupid. I don't know what's happened to their sense of perspective. Sure, an ironman is a long way, but this was just two laps around some buoys, two bike-laps around some rural towns, then two running laps down state strett and around the UW campus. The run course is so dumb, after 20 years in Madison, I've never even thought about trying it.

So, you ask, why would I participate as a volunteer if I have such low regard for the medically-needy? 1) I regard mental illness as important as any other mental illness. 2) As a distance runner for 30 years, I recognize in myself triathletes many of the triathlete's traits. I can't cure myself, but I can help those who suffer. 3) It's a total rush to be in the middle of chaotic triage especially when your actions directly contribute to keeping other people alive. 4) Catching people who are in the process of losing conciousness is a very strange experience, as is being there when they wake up, as is being the one to tell them they'd been out cold but that we had caught them and seeing the look in their eyes- different every time. 5) Occasionally seeing an authentic act of courage either by an athlete or volunteer. 6) I've been one of those idiots, but never in the medical tent, but always with a secure thought in the back of my mind that if something went wrong, the medical volunteers would be there to help. 7) Just because something is stupid, it doesn't mean people shouldn't do it. Heck, sometimes, the stupider, the better.
Quote Reply
Re: imwi rr [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did i use a disc?........of course. i used a standard issue kaiser clincher (with three spare tubes, imc tack issue scared me) over some very light one off prototype disc wheels we have. i use a 30mm, 16 spoke front. bike felt very stable and fast. used michelin pro race 2 23mm pumped to 90 psi front, 95 psi rear.
Quote Reply
Re: imwi rr [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
didn't sign up for next year (didn't it fill up in 8 hours?). thinking about im brasil or lake placid if i can find a way in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
used michelin pro race 2 23mm pumped to 90 psi front, 95 psi rear.

90 front and 95 rear seems to me a low pressure !

I usually pump my pro race to 110 front and 115 rear (I'm 160lbs): are there any "official" guidelines about pressure ?

Paolo
Quote Reply
Re: imwi rr [paolotom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i usually run about 110 front and rear but the roads were rough and i was going to be in the saddle for 6 hours. the michelin people tell me 90 to 100 psi would be best under these conditions. i weigh 150 lbs. i've also done some very crude testing and this seemed to be the best solution.
Quote Reply