Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Riding on divided Highways?
Quote | Reply
I have never ridden on divided highways, and it just struck me today that I can't come up with a good reason why I don't? Now that I think about it, if there is a good shoulder, I guess it would be just as safe as any road (assuming it is not crazy busy). Am I missing something? Do lots of people ride on divided?
Quote Reply
Re: Riding on divided Highways? [Schermy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never ridden on divided highways, and it just struck me today that I can't come up with a good reason why I don't?

It's usually illegal.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Riding on divided Highways? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. Maybe it's not "usually" illegal. I just checked for Idaho and Washington, and it's allowed in both states. Washington has some restricted sections.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its only illegal if the divided highway is an Interstate ie....I64, I75, I "whatever". I ride on divided highways nearly everyday. they are very safe. just watch for the traffic turning left out of a decelleration lane (turn lane) coming from the other direction. According to stats...this is the highest cause of cyclist vs car accidents, cars turning left in front of you coming from the other direction.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Riding on divided Highways? [zipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its only illegal if the divided highway is an Interstate ie....I64, I75,

Not even then, necessarily. Apparently, I could ride most of the way to work on I90.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride on them when I have to. Usually they are crazy busy. Not conducive to a relaxing ride. The bonus with finding alternate roads other than the highway to get to a specific point is that they're often faster/safer when out driving, and usually more scenic!

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Riding on divided Highways? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schermy, as far as I know it is legal on all the highways in Alberta and Saskatchewan. In 1989, I rode from Banff to Calgary with this huge tailwind along the Trans Canada highway, averaging just under 50 kph. At times, I was going so fast, I hopped onto the road and drafted 18 wheeler trucks. This was when I was 23 years old and throught I was bomb (and truck) proof. What a blast flying along with the Chinook. Now going the other way would be insane. You on the other hand seem to be less of a idiot at the age of 23...

In any event riding along a highway shoulder when the cars/trucks are going 120 and you are going 35-50 kph is awesome since you get this huge draft

I hope your training for Kona is going good. Sub 10...or you are just a poser (no pressure....)

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Riding on divided Highways? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev,

Had you just finished watching Breaking Away when drafting behind the semi trailers? If so, you should have been going at least 50 miles per hour :)

Chris
Quote Reply