Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HED ALPS: need help with tires
Quote | Reply
I've owned a pair of HED ALPS for the past 6 months (powertap sl in rear wheel). Nice wheels, but I have one major problem. I have a very difficult time getting tires on. I called HED and they suggested going to a thinner rim tape (from Velox to Rox). I've done this, but it has only helped a little. The only tires that I can get on easily are some used conti ultragator skins (wire bead). Too bad each tire weighs about 10 pounds each. I can't mount the Conti Attack/Force on no matter how hard I try and I only get on the Conti Ultra 2000 with considerable difficulty (30 minutes and the loss of one layer of skin).

Any suggestions: different tires, rim tape, tire irons?

I'm no rookie when it comes to changing tires. I have none of these problems on my other wheelsets (between my wife and I we have 5 others including Zipp with another powertap sl).

Thanks, Ben
Quote Reply
Re: HED ALPS: need help with tires [umagumm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try Vittoria ... or bring your wheel to the bike shop & try some different tires before you buy.

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: HED ALPS: need help with tires [trifaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was told that there have been problems with Vittoria and Vredistein- quality control issues- to the extent that HED suggests people not use these tires. Apparently people have problems with them blowing off the rim.

I like the suggestion about bringing the wheel to the bike shop and trying out a few different ones. Thanks.
Quote Reply