Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Polar Fitness Tests
Quote | Reply
I've been injured and out of commission for several months and am staging a very slow and gentle comeback. I'd like to test my fitness progress along the way. There are lots of different ways to test fitness, so this morning I was playing around with the tests available using my Polar S720 and the new polar version 4 software.

Problem is, I can't for the life of me figure out how to use the tests. For example, the Polar software offers something called an "Optimizer" test, presumably to fine tune your HR zones, but when I try it it seems to require the RR data that's only available from the S810. (The online help doesn't list the ownopitimizer test, just something called the overtraining test.)

Anyway, I'd like to do some general, basic tests like HR zone tuning and lactate tolerance threshold HR. Does anyone use the Polar testing protocols who could give me some advice (or point me to some advice) on how to use them most effectively?

Lee Silverman
JackRabbit Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Polar Fitness Tests [lsilverman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure about the 720 or 810. I have the 625. It has a test which estimates your VO2max (call it something else though--OwnIndex maybe?) and maxHR. And it has a test which tests for your recovery state--effectively establishes a normal "baseline" and then if you use it regularly will tell you if you are over/under training or have recovered after a harder workout. I think that is the Optimizer. But it does not do anything for LTHR or setting your training zones.

For LT, other than doing a paid lab test, the best advice I have seen is a 30min TT for run & bike. This is a hard effort that you can sustain for 30min. After the first 10min hit your lap button and use the avg. HR for the last 20min as your LT. From there you can set your training zones.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar Fitness Tests [JohnnyKay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The best advice I have seen is a 30min TT for run & bike. This is a hard effort that you can sustain for 30min. After the first 10min hit your lap button and use the avg. HR for the last 20min as your LT. From there you can set your training zones.

I've seen that one several times (I think it was originally attributed to Joe Friel but I wouldn't be suprised if he got it from someone else). That test is my fallback -- I'll use that one if I can't find a better one.

Because I'm coming back from an injury, I'm reluctant to push myself to anything close to my threshold right now. So I'm hoping to find a fitness test that will extrapolate some useful numbers from my performance at lower effort levels. I probably should have put that in the original post.

Lee Silverman
JackRabbit Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, if you're looking to track your comeback you want the OwnIndex test, it's the virtual VO2max test. Do it once every two weeks or so and track the numbers. The OwnOptimizer will help you set up zones and everything to possibly help you get in shape but it doesn't really give a clear picture of your fitness level. good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lee

If you want to get an OK measure of fitness and you know what your maximum heartrate is, you could do a submaximal VO2 max test on the bike and treadmill. It is easy. All you need to know is watts and heart rate for the bike test and speed, grade and heart rate for the treadmill test. Then you plug the numbers in a spreadsheet and presto...you get an estimated VO2 max. It is not a bad predictor if you know your max HR. There is some wobble in the numbers though. It could be useful in your situation where you are coming back from an injury and don't want to push too hard in testing. I have used this approach when returning from an injury myself. E-mail me at mikeprevost@hotmail.com and I will send you a spreadsheet to do the calculations.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Polar Fitness Tests [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike, just sent you an email. Thanks in advance for the spreadsheet!

Lee Silverman
JackRabbit Sports
Quote Reply