Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Just how important are those mid-week workouts...
Quote | Reply
44 day's away from my first IM.... The months of training and longer sessions are starting to take their toll... Ended up taking Tuesday off, thinking about taking today (Wednesday) off... Leg's feeling really tired, sore, tight (Maybe a real easy spin will loosen things up).

As long as I get my long rides and runs in, just how important are those mid-week training sessions....

I'm only looking to finish... Based on training paces (which I plan to "race" at) I'm figuring, IF nutrition plan works and the day's not too hot, sub 12 is doable with some sort of "smile" on my face at the finish line.

Thoughts...
Quote Reply
Re: Just how important are those mid-week workouts... [TargetGoingLong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More than your mid-week sessions, you need to resist the urge to nuke yourself. Stay sane with your program. Freshen now and avoid placing yourself deeply in the hole again.

Perils of inappropraite intensity and training stress are outlined in my Beyond the Four Pillars piece.

See endurance essentials, gTips, www.gordoworld.com

g
Quote Reply
Re: Just how important are those mid-week workouts... [gbyrn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
you need to resist the urge to nuke yourself.

I think that's exactly what I did... Had to retool my training schedule due to a family vacation...

Being a Father of 3 young children I need to start early and get finish early... Monday 4:30am jumped on the trainer and did 2 hours of the TOUGH LOVE spinnervals DVD... Then quickly disconnected and hit the road for another 3:45 for a total of 5:45, but those first 2 hours really toasted my legs and the entire ride may have been equivalent to 6:15 - 6:30, not the 5:45 my training plan has me on.

Thanks and I visit your site very, very often.... I carry Going Long around with me non-stop.... Thanks for all the great information.
Quote Reply
Re: Just how important are those mid-week workouts... [gbyrn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just re-read your Beyond Four Pillars again... Must have read that at least 2 dozen time before, but now that I'm living through it, it just makes so much more sense...
Quote Reply
Re: Just how important are those mid-week workouts... [TargetGoingLong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the exact same way before my first IM - the many months of training began to take a real toll on the legs about 35 days out.

I cut it back - stayed focused - but the total volume decreased a good amount particularly on the run, and then bike - kept swimming a good bit.

I was just like you - mostly looking to finish then be in the 12 hour area. This approach seemed to work. YOu won't loose significant fitness if you keep training, you are not going to build any more fitness in the last month, and for a first timer getting to the start line with solid legs under you is probably more important than anything (other than a good plan).

good luck

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah I've done that too! :) Two weeks before IMAZ, I was given a mandatory weekend off, nothing for three days. Coach felt I had nuked myself and was somewhat concerned with recovering before the race! Obviously I did, but I think my bike did suffer a bit. I'm pretty good at nuking myself, because I have the whole attitude, "it's on the schedule, therefore I can't miss it." :D
Quote Reply