Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What is staying at the King K like?
Quote | Reply
I just booked a room at the King K Beach resort for Ironman week. I was wondering what to expect in terms of crowds, elevator access, noise etc. I love the fact that I am so close to all the activities, but I'm thinking that can also be a problem. I have never stayed in a host hotel for an Ironman before. Please let me know about your experiences.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: What is staying at the King K like? [Russ Brandt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that bad, it usually quiets down pretty well at night. It is nice as you have a nice bathroom to use before the race and you don't have far to go when you are done. The lobby is a tad crowded, but that is part of the Ironman mood. Anyroom is the Kam is a primo spot, enjoy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You won't need a car for anything. If you reserved one, cancel it. Get a shuttle from the airport to the hotel. The two best bike shops are within walking distance, registration, banquets, a.m. swim, parade start, race start and finish are all right there. The expo is 1/2 mile walk in one direction, grocery stores, bank and post office 1/2 mile the other direction. The rooms could use a good renovation, you'll have your own bathroom and small refrigerator, elevators available in both wings but then the hotel is only 5 stories high so stair are an option. In this case, you're paying premium price for location. It will be noisy at 4 a.m. race morning with everyone around you waking up and slamming their doors, but who can sleep that night anyway? If you want to sightsee, rent a car for post race and tour the island.

If you're racing, congratulations and good luck.

Quote | Reply
Depends on where your room is. I stayed there in '03 when they had the transition area in the parking lot behind the hotel. I was staying on that side and had to deal with a lot of set-up and tear-down noise. I was glad I wasn't racing that year. Race morning all the athletes were stacked up behind our room getting body marked. Other than that the hotel is nice. Rooms are pretty big, clean, and comfy. The buffet breakfast is really good.

Gary Mc

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: What is staying at the King K like? [Football Mom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Football Mom, I want to rent a scooter when I'm there, do you know of any places I can call to reserve? I tried doing a search on the internet, but haven't had much luck!! I can't wait to get there!!! :) Although I just had to pay $150 to change my return flight to get back for a midterm. :( You can all find me studying at Lava Java. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The rooms are pretty damn basic but I didn't have any problems with noise, crowds, etc. As the race approaches (i.e., more people start to show up) you pretty much just forget about your car and walk everywhere. The finish line is right out the front door.

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: What is staying at the King K like? [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>You can all find me studying at Lava Java. :)<<

And I'll be there making sure she studies (and chatting with the barrista). ;-)

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: What is staying at the King K like? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI - a new Starbucks and Jamba just opened on Henry Street, across from Walmart/Denny's/Safeway area. The Starbucks has a drive through. It's nice to go to these places if you don't want to get interrupted and not be swept up into the tri crowd.

Quote | Reply
Ah, but does Buckys have Sage???? ;-)

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is very convenient to stay there if you race and noise really is not the issue, but I personally would not stay there anymore. I just find it too expensive for what it is and it is really ready for a hugh update.
Have fun racing in Kona.
Herbert
Litespeed/QR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
FYI - a new Starbucks and Jamba just opened on Henry Street, across from Walmart/Denny's/Safeway area. The Starbucks has a drive through. It's nice to go to these places if you don't want to get interrupted and not be swept up into the tri crowd.

I love to walk down to Java on the Rocks mornings. My favorite coffee stop.

Aloha,

Larry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]FYI - a new Starbucks and Jamba just opened on Henry Street, across from Walmart/Denny's/Safeway area. The Starbucks has a drive through. It's nice to go to these places if you don't want to get interrupted and not be swept up into the tri crowd.[/reply]

Oh speaking of tri crowds at coffee shops.. katherine and I can't wait to sit at the coffee shop accross my hotel (lava java?) and look at the "menu" :-)
Quote Reply