Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Green Mountain Stage Race: Stage 1
Quote | Reply
72.5 mile circuit race.

Don't know why they are calling this a circuit, it is only 2 laps. 800 feet of climbing per lap (flat). There is a KOM at 12 miles and 50 miles and a points sprint at 38 miles. My plan is to try for the 2nd KOM, 72 miles is a long way to race, I don't want to get tired early.

Conditions: 70 and sunny, perfect

Well the start is fairly fast. First 5 miles is slightly downhill. I am at the back and there are over 80 guys in the race. I love the advice people give about road racing, to stay in the front. Good luck getting there as everyone else has the same idea. Domestic amateur racing is not like the TDF, you cannot cross the centerline and the roads are narrow and in poor condition in a lot of cases, so there are lots of hazards including the other riders. It is very hard to move up the field unless it is really strung out or a fairly hard climb. We make a turn and most of the climbing is in the next 7 miles. All gradual uphill and the pace is still fast, pretty much all big ring. Good thing I wasn't going for the first KOM, I am stuck in back, I think there is a small break. I just sit in the peloton. The second time up this will drop some people methinks.

Next 15 miles is pretty uneventful. Coolest thing is blowing through a small town, with a cop stopping traffic as we cruise past a 25 mph sign over 30 mph.

Crash!!! Minor pileup. I am behind it, not in it, chase back on. My rule is if you are not in the very front, ride at the very back. Crashes always get the people in the middle.

Come through halfway about 1:30, so 24 mph, solid pace. Start back around on the uphill section.

Crash!! (On an uphill?). Second wheel just went down for no reason. Again behind it, not in it. The gradual climb and the crash are stringing things out a bit. I am able to move up and maybe have a chance at KOM points. Get on the front and bridge up to one guy up the road. Not pushing to hard. Push harder try to get a gap, not much there, I am countered, 1K to the KOM. I counter and then at 500 m about a dozen people pass. I don't bother sprinting for it. At least the action caused a split and I am in the front group of 35 or so.

Rest of lap is uneventful. A lone rider is up the road (1:15). We never get real organized. I take a few pulls on front along with a few other guys. We are not taking back any time. Just save it for the finish.

I just hang in the field sprint, take 2nd to last in the sprint, 32nd place and get 96 GC points. The lone rider takes the win and 100 + 25 GC points. Everyone else in the buch gets 96 also (next nine places also get some bonus points). The 2nd group is several minutes down and only gets like 15 points. Scoring is 100 for winner 96 for second....down to 1 for 50th place (plus bonus points for the top 10 riders), but a group all gets the same points, then the next group or rider after the split gets the next points for that finish place, so the difference between 33rd and 34th place in this race was like 80 points. Don't miss the split.

Finish in 3:00 flat, not bad for 72.5 miles.

Move up to 17th on the GC.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Last edited by: Tri_yoda: Sep 6, 05 16:34
Quote Reply
Re: Green Mountain Stage Race: Stage 1 [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey good work...but what is this excuse about not being able to stick you nose at the front. Sounds like you need some more cosmetic bulk on those waif like shoulders of yours so that you can muscle yourself to the front like Abdoujaparov...
Quote Reply
Re: Green Mountain Stage Race: Stage 1 [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, what is it with this guy and flat sections? :-) Kus will back me up on this. He likes to be pulled along on flat sections. :-) But when it goes vertical look out! He climbs like a weather balloon. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep it coming, good stuff.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: Green Mountain Stage Race: Stage 1 [Trevor S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recall TriYoda disappearing into the clouds on our July 1 Whiteface climb. I've witnessed the climbing prowess from the "back of the bus"...

Aparently Kus just got back from a week of 8 hour of training per day extravaganza at Xantusia. The guy will rip the 35-39 age group in Hawaii after (aparently) putting the boots to Monty for a whole week:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yoda

Just got an email from someonein my bike club. He was involved inthe wreck that you talk about. Thought I would share it with you all. Going to check in with him later today to see what I can do to help.

Our group of 90 was moving about 30+mph as we
approached a narrow bridge on route 12a. A step-side
pick up with wide mirrors was in the oncoming lane as
the first of the peloton crossed the bridge. I'm not
sure, but I believe the truck stopped completely on
the narrow bridge. I recall someone calling "truck"
and, because of the bottleneck, the groups speed
reduced rapidly. I was near the yellow line when I
saw the truck, and remember going right and between a
couple wheels then hitting the ground. I was told
later I dropped onto my left side. I recall sliding
and being hit by other cyclists. As I settled on my
back and tried to catch my breathe, I felt the broken
collar bone, and couldn't move my left leg. I never
lost consciousness.

Brian and Tom made it over the bridge without
incident. Eric heard "truck", screaching brakes, and
shot off the road onto the golfcourse. He saw the
pileup to oneside, and the peloton leaving to the
other, and hauled but to catch up, thinking we were
all together, in front of the crash.

As other cyclists were changing wheels and bikes,
Doug Luther was standing above me holding his forearm
to secure his broken collar bone. I understand around
20 cyclists were involved in the crash.

At this point I new I had broken bones, but was most
worried about my labored breathing, quite sure my lung
was punctured. Medics arrived within minutes. And
after some confusion as to who would transport me, I
was moved from one ambulance to another, I was on my
way to hospital.

To shorten a long story, x-rays show a punctured
right lung, two broken ribs, fracured right collar
bone, and fractured left hip in two places. By this
point Jenna had been called, at the Bakery, and was at
my side.

I had surgery 7:30pm saturday night (crash was
9:30am) and now sport load bearing titanium pins and
screws in the left hip(during the surgery I was asking
about the weight of these pieces, joking about how
sensitive we cycists are about weight...oh yeah, I was
awake for surgery.)

I was released from hospital Monday, will be laid up
at home for a few weeks, limping around on a single
crutch, waiting for bits to heal.

Thanks to everyone for asking about me. Stop in to
the Bakery when you have a chance and let Jenna know
how great she looks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry I left out, rider was Matt Bowman, from New Hampshire. Speedy recover Matt!!!!
Quote Reply