Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

MTB geometry = Tri bike geometry
Quote | Reply
Does anyone here trains on their MTB sometimes, if so do you use your tri-bike set up, with saddle tip over the BB?

Considering i´m not worrying about performance on my MTB, only to ride a trail on recovery days or ride around the city, would the TRI position be the best option so i would train same muscles that i race with

thanx

--
Vinnie Santana, Multisport Coach
http://www.ironguides.net
* * * Your best is our business. * * *
Last edited by: vinnie: Sep 6, 05 13:22
Quote Reply
Re: MTB geometry = Tri bike geometry [vinnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
would the TRI position be the best option?

Why would it be? By which I mean, what would be your goal in having a tri position on your mountain bike? Specificity of training or something?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I train on my mtn bike, road bike and stuper steep tri bike. DO NOT train on your mtn bike in tri geometry, with the saddle that far foward you'll have no torque to lift the front wheel, your rear traction will suffer horribly and with your weight that far foward an endo is just waiting to happen. A mtn bike will have a much laxer seat angle than a tri bike. My mtn bike is set up a degree or two shallower than my road bike. The saddle height is about 1cm lower than my road bike. I'd love the saddle height to be the same but it's amazing how much easier it is to mount and dismount with that 1cm difference. Good luck, I love mtbing and Xterra off-road tris. They can be a lot more fun than road tris. But a little of each is just perfect!
Quote Reply
Re: MTB geometry = Tri bike geometry [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edited the post, yes, i don´t like to change positions much, so i guess i would need to set the saddle tip 1cm behind the BB.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i would think not. On an MTB, you want more weight over the back wheel for traction, so the forward triathlon position would affect that.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you should listen to Tai about the handling of mountain bikes, and how it might be adversely affected by a tri position.

As to specificity of training, I think you're fixating on it a little too much. Especially since you're riding the mountain bike on recovery days, mainly. Put it out of your head.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: MTB geometry = Tri bike geometry [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the inputs,
true, goal with the MTB is get out of the roads, traffic, stress and ride 1h30 ez breathing some pure air and enjoyting the nature!
cheers

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My saddle to BB ratios are as follows.

TT/Tri bike 5cm behind bb

road bike 8cm behind bb

mtb 10cm behind bb

I do ride "the rivet" on some mtb climbs, but on the big ass downhills I am off the back of the saddle probably 25cm and trying to get further back. I would think you would go over the bars a lot if you were only 1 cm behind. I am not an expert in mtb position, but I have never heard of a trilike seat position on a serious mtb rider. Most mtb seats are longish and part of the riding is scooting up and back a lot to keep the front wheel down on climbs, but with enough rear wheel weight to not spin out on the loose stuff. And keeping the weight back far enough on the downhills to avoid launching into space. I have been doing a lot of single speed mtb over the last 10 or so years which makes the saddle movements even more critical. If you like the forward position I would probably start 6-8cm behind bb and go from there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosoity I have discussed this with four NORBA pros (2 women and 2 men) who I know and who are always podium finishers (and three are national and/or world champs) and they all have their mountain bike saddles in the exact same position relative to the bottom bracket as their road bikes. Regarding saddle height, depending on the course the saddle will be as high, or slightly lower (more technical, more descending), on the mountain bike compared to the road bike. It might be of interest to know that most of them put more miles on their road bikes than their mountain bikes.

I've played around with it a bit but have always ended up with the saddles pretty similarly set on the mountain and road bikes. I use a Fizik Gobi and, like the other poster said, you're all over (or even behind) the saddle depending on what you're doing.

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Last edited by: IronDad: Sep 6, 05 14:13
Quote Reply