Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: American Zofingen Ultra Distance Duathlon [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John...great picture of the bike course. What is the length of the climbs and percentage on the bike ? What is total elevation gain over 90K ?
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen Ultra Distance Duathlon [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a lousy photo. I need some help with computer stuff. Anyway, it's a 28 mile circuit, or ~45K. It's 850 meters of climbing per lap. The first climb from T1 to Mohonk peak is 1 mile and the big middle climb is about 5 miles, but with some relief along the way. It's a climb back up to transition so you're climbing as you end lap 1 into the start of lap 2 and as you end lap 2 into lap 3 so that initial mile stretches into more than 2 miles as the circle closes. I hope that helps.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen Ultra Distance Duathlon [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Registration now open on http://www.active.com

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it is very often very cold in Zofingen, but it is only the result of bad luck (or good luck as you would call it) and not because of the timing of the event. It has been held either in September (during summer, still) or in June, a couple of weeks before summer. At both these dates it usually is mostly sunny and hotter (25degreesC on average) in Switzerland.

Funny that it is part of the legend now.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen Ultra Distance Duathlon Registration now open on Active.com [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the run course like? Surface? Hilly? Flat? Will running sneakers be okay, or do we need trail shoes?
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen Ultra Distance Duathlon Registration now open on Active.com [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The run course is all trails. It's very hilly. Most ascents are single track with some rocks and roots, while descents are crushed shale carriage trails. We use the same 5.5 mile circuit 4 times which is good for aid, spectators and pacing. I'd use racing flats, but others might want more cushioning or traction. Ascents are steeper than descents which don't pound you too much. Mostly under tree cover, but it's not too hot in late October. Thanks for your interest.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen Ultra Distance Duathlon [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems it's not only often cold, but wet as well. For many, it does add to the mystique. Having raced it in both hot & dry, and cold & wet, I must admit cold and wet was the better experience, for me.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a course route description available? Something like ride route 7 to rosendale , make left on rte 213, continue to route 1 etc.; as I would like to either ride the course or create it for use on Computrainer. As an aside I just did SOS and rode a QR tri bike, I am wondering if I might be better off with a touring bike set-up given the amount of incline; although I am certainly not looking forward to radically altering my position with only 6 weeks to get ready. Sounds like a great event hope you are not full yet.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen Ultra Distance Duathlon [xbaytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The runs and transition are at Spring Farm, Mohonk Preserve, on Upper 27 Knolls Road. Exit the Preserve and proceed UP Mohonk Rd to the top, where the entrance to the Mountain House is. Pass the Mountain House, DESCEND at upwards of 50 mph to Butterville Rd. Take a right and ride to 299. Turn right, up to 44/55. Turn right, and start climbing, and climbing. Crest at Minnewaska State Park, then descend rapidly to Old Minnewaska, take a SHARP right and follow to Granite Rd. Take a right in Accord onto Towpath, proceed to and take a right on 6, proceed up to 6A which is Mohonk Rd, take a right and climb back up to complete one of 3 loops. Once 3 loops are done, enter Upper 27 Knolls and proceed back to transition. From transition, the 1st (and last) 1/3 mile is packed dirt. It's rideable, but take it easy.

Congratulations on SOS. I raced it last year, and was a motorcycle marshal this year. I was helping the deputy at Lucas & 209 so you passed me there (I was in a black & white vertical striped ref's jersey).

You'll be fine on your QR, and we still have some spaces left.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xbaytri, how did you like SOS? How tough is that last 10 miles of the bike?

And tetsuoni, I'm nowhere near in good enough biking shape this year but I'll give your race a serious look for next year.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen Ultra Distance Duathlon [sevans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The SOS is simply awesome! I really had a lot of trepidation going in as I don't swim very well,but it really is a wonderful experience. As for the last 10 on the cycle, it is really just long and steady not gruelingly steep. So as long as you don't blow yourself up at the start of it , it is quite manageable. Now that swimming with the sneakers is another thing!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the route details. Officiating the SOS must have been a piece of cake after Doug put the fear of God in all of us at the pre-race dinner!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info, glad you had a good time. Now I have to figure out how to fashion a pull buoy out of my running shoes and a dry bag!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Officiating at SOS was fun, but a lot of guys were really clueless about having to drop back out of the draft zone after being passed. They just kept leapfrogging. I gave plenty of warnings, but am loath to ding anyone. I was more concerned with getting everyone safely through the Lucas / 209 intersection where I was almost taken out last year while leading the bike. Due to popular demand, we're adding a short course event, 5.15 mile run / 29 mile bike / 5.15 mile run. This way, competitors can experience the course this year, and plan on training properly for the full distance in 2006.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now we're talkin'...wimp that I am!!

Thanks for adding this!!

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Last edited by: tryemdad: Sep 15, 05 5:44
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen Ultra Distance Duathlon [tryemdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We realize we created this event pretty late in the year even though the idea has been tossed around in the duathlon community as long as I've been around. The long course is pretty extreme, and should be a worthy goal for anyone not doing Kona in 2006. It makes sense to give people a chance to experience the course in a manageable dose. I just hope more LC people sign up before we sell out on SC spots.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply

Prev Next