Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question race directors or anyone else that knows the answer.
Quote | Reply
What kind of permits are needed to run a race on state land? If you are running a long event that passes over private property on trails that are already in public use, do you need permission from the property owner? State in question is Michigan.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Question race directors or anyone else that knows the answer. [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Different agencies have different requirements in terms of permits, insurance, trail marking and closures, etc. Contact the Park Manager of the park you're interested in using as a venue and he/she can point you in the right direction.
Quote Reply
Re: Question race directors or anyone else that knows the answer. [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have staged at least 50 events in Michigan . . . and the answer is, it depends. If the trails you use go through a state recreation area or state park, you will need a permit for sure. Contact the park manager, and he/she will start you on the process. If, however, the trails go through just plan old vanilla state land (like the Pere Marquette State Forest in the northwestern part of the lower peninsula) on two-tracks (for example), most events don't get permits.

Lew
Quote Reply
Re: Question race directors or anyone else that knows the answer. [Lew Kidder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Lew, I'm trying to get a good map of the area I am looking at to get a better idea of what I need.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Jim, Kenny here from 3 disciplines racing. We have permits for everything, from putting buoys in ALL lakes in Michigan, to running permits for trails, to bike permits on roads. We get a permit from every agency out there. It is the right thing to do and it covers your ---. Not sure I would take the chance in not getting one. We have one race that nicks a corner of a township. A township with less than 100 people and believe it or not that township had a special events permit that needed additional insured on our insurance. County road commisions, Townships, Towns, cities, State Park, National park, DNR, Coast Guard, you name it. Our event this weekend in a metropark, it is actually our only event that has less than 5 permits for it. You do not want a city manager or DNR officer showing up the day before or worse the day of saying you cannot put those buoys in the water or cannot race on our town lines. New Coast Guard rules since 9'11 requires a detailed course map, 2 page permit, and depending on the size of the event additional insured. It is part of the homeland security act. So make sure you get them all. Some cost money some do not. I can tell you this I think they all will eventually cost something. Just in our 5 yrs. in Michigan some permits that use to be free have fees with them now. Some permits require a board approval which takes time as well. Some we have to do a presentation before the board. All part of the event management biz. Have fun out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Question race directors or anyone else that knows the answer. [kenny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenny, thanks for the detailed answer. I am definetly a "cover your a--" kind of guy so getting permits for all needed portions of a race makes sense to me. I am at the 'lets see if this idea is feasible" stage of planning an event, so thanks for the input.

Jim

Quote Reply