Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Compact Crankset Question
Quote | Reply
I bought a new road bike and want to put a compact crankset on it. It has Ultegra 10 with the new outboard bearings. What are my options if I want to stick with this new type of crankset? Is Shimano going to come out with something like this?

Also are there any issues with taking the 53/39 Ultegra 10 crankset off new road bike and putting it on my tri bike which is Ultegra/DA 9 speed? In other words can I use 10 speed crankset on 9 speed drivetrain?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Compact Crankset Question [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should be no issues putting the 10-sp crank on the 9-sp drivetrain. Going the other way could pose some problems.

Going compact might pose a problem if you have a braze-on fr der hanger. Right now, mine is bottomed out with a 52. If I went compact, I'd have so much clear blue sky between the der cage and the 'ring that shifting would be dicey.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To my knowledge, FSA is the only company making compact cranks with the outboard bearing system. No other crank will be compatible with the BB cups that are on your bike though . . . the entire system will have to be replaced.

Yes, you can use your Ultegra10 crank with your 9 speed setup. Your drivetrain might be a bit louder than it was before.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just swap out your cassette if you need lower gearing and keep the crankset as is -- take a look at gear development charts to see that the you get as much out of a 12/25 and 12/27 as you would from a compacts with 11/23 or 12/25.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok here are you options for outboard bearing BB with compact cranksets as far as I know:

1. FSA Compact MegaExo crank/BB (i.e. gossamer megaexo, k-force megaexo). These use outboard bearing BB is very similar (and compatible according to some) to the shimano 10 speed BB. When you purchase a FSA megaexo crankset, the BB comes with it.

2. Truvativ Giga X Pipe compact cranks (i.e. Elita, Roleur). The Giga X Pipe BB and crank setup also uses outboard bearings similiar to the shimano 10 setup. I believe that these are NOT compatible with the shimano BB.

FSA makes a front derailleur for compact cranksets so that could be a solution should you run into front derailleur setup problems.

Personally, I use the FSA gossamer megaexo (noncompact) and am extremely happy with them. My brother uses the Truvativ Giga X Pipe Roleur setup and he only has good things to say about it. The outboard bearings in my opinion make a significant difference in terms of stiffness and ease of installation. I havent personally tried the FSA front derailleur yet.

wilson
Quote Reply
Re: Compact Crankset Question [wilson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, thanks for the tip on the FSA ft der. I'd been toying with the idea of going compact to get a little lighter, but when I saw how much (lack of) adjustablity I had in that direction, I kind of scrubbed the idea.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Compact Crankset Question [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shimano has a compact crankset w/ outboard bearings in an Ultegra level quality for '06. Be patient.

Your 10s crank will work with your 9s bike.

Ritchey makes a compact crank that will fit onto your Ultegra 9 speed Octalink BB.

You could swap cranksets and use the old BB in the new bike with a Ritchey crank. That would get it done cheapest/quickest.

-SD
Quote Reply
Re: Compact Crankset Question [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what about putting a compact crank on a dual? with the braze on front derraileur is that possible?

"the trouble with normal is - it always gets worse"

- Cockburn
Quote Reply
Re: Compact Crankset Question [miater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No problem with the Dual. I have compacts on mine right now and it works great. I am just running a Shimano Ultegra Del and it works fine with the Compact Cranks. I am using the FSA Energy compacts right now but switching them to my new cross bike and getting the FSA Gossamer MegaExo for the Dual. I already run a pair of the FSA Gossamer MegaExo on my road bike and they are great.
Quote Reply
Re: Compact Crankset Question [Bman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks!

"the trouble with normal is - it always gets worse"

- Cockburn
Quote Reply