Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Next new thing. Was covered once, but...
Quote | Reply
I know this was asked before, what's the next new tech advance to the sport? I was thinking about this the other day and was wondering if any engineers or brain-i-acks could chime in to see if this would work. Bike weight always seems to be such a high priority to riders. Would it be possible to build a frame that is air tight, and then inject a lighter than air gas into the core of the frame to make the bike lighter?Same with the tires?

For the frame, you'd just have a presta valve, roll up your helium tank from partyworld, and fill er up. The tires I'm guessing might need to be made from a different material, but maybe not. I'm not an engineer who could determine how that would work.
How much weight could be saved doing something like this? I'm guessing it's negligible, but was curious. Yeah, I'm bored. Oh, and do a disk wheel that also has a valve for the internal chamber to fill. Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang ain't got nothin on me!
Would that work?
Jamma.
Quote Reply
Re: Next new thing. Was covered once, but... [jamma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Put the bong away man.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been done. Many times. Tubes are still filled with helium regularly in TdF and big classics & tours...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Would it be possible to build a frame that is air tight, and then inject a lighter than air gas into the core of the frame to make the bike lighter?
For the frame, you'd just have a presta valve, roll up your helium tank from partyworld, and fill er up. I'm not an engineer who could determine how that would work.
You are aware that a vacuum weighs less than any gas, right?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Next new thing. Was covered once, but... [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and you would only have to hold -14.4psig

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Next new thing. Was covered once, but... [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crunch!

that's the sound of CF and aluminium frames imploding all over the french countryside...
Quote Reply